back to article McAfee ‘not a suspect’: CNN report

The story of John McAfee’s pursuit in Belize has taken an odd turn: a police spokesperson has told CNN that the anti-virus pioneer is “not a suspect” in the investigation surrounding the murder of his neighbour. This CNN report states that McAfee is still being sought for questioning. Wired has reported that he buried himself …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Still sounds fucked up. If he's guilty he'll disappear. If he's innocent then it would be wise to show up on a different continent in a country with no extradition treaty.

1. Marvin the Martian

And on the third hand,

If he has mental problems he might not go for the most obvious course of action?

Read the previous article (or other).

1. Psyx
        Pint

And on the forth hand,

if he has mental problems AND a penchant for experimental psychoactive narcotics he might think he's being hunted by pink elephants with machineguns.

2. oldtaku Silver badge
    Trollface

Not sure how they do this in the UK, but in the US 'He is not a suspect, just a person of interest' means 'He is our primary suspect and we need him to turn himself in now so we can cuff him, taser him 20 times, and throw him in a cell under 24/7 watch (in that order) till his hearing, and we hope he is stupid or insane enough to believe that.'

3. cyberdemon Silver badge
    Black Helicopters

The story of John McAfee’s pursuit in Belize has taken an odd turn

As if it could get any odder.

Gizmodo would claim to have the full story, published yesterday with what it claims is an account written by McAfee:

http://gizmodo.com/5960138/the-crazy-secret-journal-of-john-mcafee-volume-1

It doesn't sound like the kind of place you'd want to go on your holidays anyway, and whatever happens to McAfee is likely to reflect on that reputation.

1. Psyx

Re: The story of John McAfee’s pursuit in Belize has taken an odd turn

Reading that... I kinda want to go there, now...

2. Don Jefe

Re: The story of John McAfee’s pursuit in Belize has taken an odd turn

Belize City IS rather awful, but once you get into the country (or into the ocean for diving) it is fantastic. The people in the country are very friendly and there are tons of Mayan ruins everywhere. If you go hiking in the jungle you can actually find the vestiges of that civilization that no one has bothered to document yet. Pretty cool place.

4. This post has been deleted by its author

5. DrXym

I don't like the new McAfee software

The laptop I bought at the weekend included some McAfee antivirus crapware. It threatened to shoot me in the back of the head if I didn't subscribe.

6. Esskay
    Coat

Sounds like

they got a false positive

7. Iain Turnbull
    Coat

Hmmm

"Wired has reported that he buried himself under sand, using a cardboard box to make sure he could still breathe, while police searched his property last Sunday."

I'm not sure this is how sand-boxing is supposed to work.

1. Dave 126 Silver badge

Reverse Ostrich

put that into an image search engine, and use your imagination to supply the cardboard box.

8. Bod

still guilty

Should be arrested anyway for infesting new PCs with bloated software that's arguably malware as it takes a lot of effort to get rid of the damn thing properly.

1. seven of five

Re: still guilty

He actually is innocent of this, McAffee these days is owned by INTeL - which explains quite a bit...

This topic is closed for new posts.