back to article Mobile phone sales slump bites Nokia

Nokia may have plunged down the chart of best-selling smartphone makers, but at least it can console itself with the knowledge that it’s still up toward the top of the broader mobile phone supplier table. ‘Toward the top’ but not ‘at the top’, of course. According to market watcher Gartner, Nokia is merely the world’s second …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

So could we have a pie chart that doesn't re-use the colours, and as such make it actually readable?

1. John Robson Silver badge
      WTF?

Or a table..

You know - with numbers lined up with the appropriate labels.

1. Mostly_Harmless Silver badge

Re: Or a table..

No - that would be rectangular, and so be the subject of a lawsuit by the fruity firm

1. Pooka

Re: Or a table..

Only if it had curvey corners :p

2. Bob Vistakin
      Linux

Yes, and seeing as we're talking about *all* phones, please add microsofts share. Oh, I see - it won't make any difference, sorry.

1. dogged
        FAIL

Microsoft don't make phones, you absolute cretin.

1. hplasm
          Windows

Microsoft don't make phones-

But if they did, they'd be shit. Probably.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

As a colour blind person...

The colours don't make a lot of difference to me, but it is refreshing to see a chart where the legend is in the same sequence as the pie slices (if you start at the top and go clockwise in the chart, and left to right, top to bottom of the legend).

So for me, this is one of the more useful pie charts I've seen recently.

Horses for courses I guess.

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Another load of worthless statistics....

2. Robert Grant

Wow

Engadget reported this as Apple winning and Nokia losing - maybe in the iPhone vs Lumia stakes, and growth stakes, but in terms of overall market share Nokia are way more influential than a general scan of the tech sites' headlines would have me think.

1. Mike Brown

Re: Wow

Not really. Apple are selling less but at a much bigger margin. Nokia might be selling more but its all feature phones, were the margin is virtually nil. So yes and no

2. Steve Evans

Engadget must have been reporting smartphone figures which have Samsung top with Apple second. Nokia are way behind.

These charts are for all phones.

Unfortunately for Nokia, the big profit is to be made in the smartphone arena.

1. dotslash

"Unfortunately for Nokia, the big profit is to be made in the apple distortion field."

there, fixed that for ya

3. Bob Vistakin
      Facepalm

Then Engadget should have been called "a bunch of absolute cretins, since microsoft don't make phones" - their business is more along the lines of wrecking the ones that do, like Sendo and Nokia, and then scarpering with the loot just before the shit hits the fan, like this asshole did, as if he thought they'd be able to fix the shite he showed in the only video of him anyone will remember: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4QRWa68MtLc

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

How is Microsoft wrecking Nokia? it was Nokia who hired Elop knowing he used to work for Microsoft. They didn't have to employ him.

Nokia isn't the first company with a distinct culture to hire an outsider from another country and then go on to struggle. Look at Olympus, they hired a brit who questioned and uncovered massive debt concealment.

3. David Hicks
    Alert

Wow... so Samsung then

Rule the roost in both smart and overall phone sales.

Knew they were big, but not that big!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Wow... so Samsung then

So it's Samsung phone owners who are the sheep, buying the same phone as everyone else.

1. 0_Flybert_0
        Thumb Down

Re: Re: Wow... so Samsung then

when all I needed was a cheap reliable well built flip-phone for voice .. I could care less about the maker

it happened to be a Samsung replacing a lost LG, serving for 5 years, though the battery was giving out and need charging every other day

I listen to a radio program that reviews and discusses tech issues , this person buys each phone himself and uses it .. glowing reviews for Samsung S3 .. now his main phone .. and the same from 2 people that got one prior to getting one myself a month ago .. it's a great phone ..

Interesting a well, is that main chip is a Quad-core 1.4 GHz Cortex-A9, a.k.a Nvidia Tegra 3

so much for the small screen .. lookin' old iPhone design and lock ins ,, pffffffffffffft

2. Richard Plinston

> So it's Samsung phone owners who are the sheep, buying the same phone as everyone else.

Surely that would be: buying the same _12_different_ Samsung phones as everyone else ! Oh wait ...

2. David Hicks
      WTF?

I am genuinely puzzled. Not annoyed but puzzled. What is the psychology of someone that gives me a downvote for an expression of surprise over some market share figures? I haven't showed favouritism to any one company, or even approval or disapproval of the figures compared to others. So why?

Many, many of the things I say on the internet are objectionable, partisan, foolish and stupid. This time I can see it. Are you, dear reader, the one that gave me the downvote? Could you explain? Genuinely befuzzled by that.

4. xyz Silver badge
    Devil

I'm shocked...

....reading the El reg I assumed we were swamped by massed fanbois clutching iPhones and that Nokia sold about 10 phones a month and only to the mentally challenged. Who knew!

5. Hi Wreck
    FAIL

Units shipped?

Or money made. I dare say the former, not the latter.

6. jason 7
    FAIL

The issue? Cost! Pricey! Expensive!

Getting a hint?

I was keen to get my hands on a Nokia Windows 8 phone. I thought as they might want to try to get somewhere in the market they might have priced them decently.

But no, top end prices and exclusivity deals to reduce your options.

Well that's a clever thing to do.

Looks like a Nexus 4 then........

7. Jess

I am typing this on a Nokia N8 (Bluetooth keyboard). It is displaying through my main TV while playing internet radio through my hifi (hdmi). I am logged into several intant messenger services and also have a sip phone account logged in. It makes a PC plugged into the TV redundant. (The other day I was using the N8 as a uPnP server.)

How much of this would still be possible on windows phone?

1. dogged
      Meh

Everything except (currently) the SIP client. Skype's not SIP. I don't know whether there's a SIP client for WP8 yet so I can't say "yes, it can do that". In theory, there's no reason why it shouldn't.

Everything else is there including uPnP via PlayTo.

Probably not what you wanted to hear because obviously anything Windows is awful and unusable and for children (I always wondered how come it's easy enough for children and ALSO unusable) and crap and evil and sweats like Ballmer and doesn't have Instagram but, alas, true.

1. Robert Grant

Er, as far as I'm aware, a lot of that isn't possible with Windows Phone. No HID Bluetooth profile, and I don't think you can share the phone's screen to a TV?

(WP fan here)

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like