back to article Brits admit to using mobile phones during sex - and not in a good way

One in 20 Brits admit using a mobile phone during sex - and not in a good way - while almost half check mail while pretending to listen to their significant other talking. More than half of us use our phones in bed, but that's forgivable as "checking email" is a marvellous excuse for another five minutes under the duvet. It is …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. The Alpha Klutz
    Happy

haha human couples

disgusting. anything that splits them up is good.

1. GSV Slightly Perturbed

Re: haha human couples

[broadcast Eclear, sent 1346767942.5]

xGSV Slightly Perturbed

o(unknown, presumed not human) The Alpha Klutz

Oh, I don't know. It's kind of cute.

Messy, but cute.

2. Sammy Smalls
    Paris Hilton

I'd be interested to know what actually counts as using your phone during sex 'in a good way'. Handsfree? Conference calls? Knocking out an email?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I can think of a couple

Needs a waterproof, or at least washable cover though, and might invalidate the guarantee.

2. Phil O'Sophical Silver badge
      Coat

"Has anyone seen my phone?"

"Here, let me call it, listen for the ring."

"OH! So that's where I left it."

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Reminds me

Favourite joke from youth:

Q: How do you make your girlfriend cry when you're having sex?

A: Phone her up and tell her.

4. taxman
    Big Brother

Is a good way

having it on vibrate? No wonder there is a demand for dust/water proof phones!

1. Mike Brown

Re: Is a good way

there is dust up there? you need to try harder

5. Version 1.0 Silver badge
    Happy

survey bias

"British Sex" is an oxymoron anyway.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: survey bias

I've never understood where this idea of the British being sexually repressed came from. You can't even show a pair of tits on American TV without somebody passing out from the sheer horror of it all.

2. Graham Marsden
      Happy

Re: survey bias

I think my customers might disagree...!

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Cameras?

Which most phones now have....

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Cameras?

My first thought was phones with cameras, my second thought was phones with chlamydia.

7. Esskay
    Paris Hilton

I'll admit I'm not as experienced as I'd like to be

But surely there are better things to hold in your hands during sex than a phone? Unless you're a fanboi, in which case I imagine the phone is an integral part of the experience...

1. Phil O'Sophical Silver badge
      Coat

Re: I'll admit I'm not as experienced as I'd like to be

Siri, did the earth move?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

According to Nicolaus Copernicus in his 1543 work "De revolutionibus orbium coelestium" it did and it still does.

Siri.

2. JulianB
      Gimp

"Unless you're a fanboi..." Suddenly it all makes sense. I had read the article as implying you're using a phone while having sex with another human being

1. Nick Kew

Re: fanbois

What did they use for phone sex before the iphone?

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Re: What did they use for phone sex before the iphone?

This? (link maybe NSFW) http://www.shenit.com/blog/2011/03/02/dildo-shaped-cell-phone-designed-for-japanese-woman-vibrates-perfectly/

3. Omgwtfbbqtime
      Paris Hilton

are better things to hold in your hands during sex than a phone

chandelier.

steering wheel...

8. Blofeld's Cat
    Coat

So...

>beep<

"What? ... No I'm not reading my email - I'm just changing my current status from 'LOL' to 'OMG!!!'."

>beep<

"Some of these instructions are a bit odd, love... 'Insert rod A into hole B and secure with a screw'... Oh, hang on a second, that page is for Karja Sootra, an Ikea wardrobe."

>beep<

"Well since you ask, I was just telling Siri to add 'repair the cracks in the ceiling' to your todo list..."

It's the one draped over a chair.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Obligatory 'you're holding it wrong' reference

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

only one in 20?

Is it just me but doesn't it seem strange that only 1 in 20 have ever been in a situation where they've had to answer a phone call or at least switch the bloody thing off?

11. Richard Joseph
    Joke

If your wife or girlfriend was checking her tweets during the act, ask yourself...

...did you have a small part to play in it???

1. Anonymous Coward
      Coffee/keyboard

Re: If your wife or girlfriend was checking her tweets during the act, ask yourself...

The score is 111 to 3.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It may just be me

The list of callers for whom I'd answer the phone during sex is a very short list. In fact, one of the people on it was terribly upset for having interrupted me, which she didn't, until I explained to her why, if she rings me, I asnwer it: she is on dialysis at 30 and if she or her family need something at 10pm or 5am or any time at all, I'll be dressed and out the door in two minutes.

1. Tegne
      Joke

Re: It may just be me

Is your wife on dialysis?

1. hplasm
        Joke

Re: It may just be me

@Tegne

Taking the piss?

13. 404

Inquiry

1. Subject of the story was just sad - Brits have their oddities, just like 'merkins, but dayum!

2. "(most smokers can cope a couple of hours at least, and some can sleep all night without breaking for a cigarette)." What? Has the author ever been a smoker(1)? Wake up to smoke? You have bigger problems than that if this is happening.

(1) Started 27 years ago - Army buddy started feeding them to me in bars, next thing I know, it's packs, cartons... If you ever meet a Richard S. Walker from Maine somewhere, please punch him in the mouth for me. Thanks!

Gotta quit.... easier said than done.

1. Bill Ray (Written by Reg staff)

Re: Inquiry

Smoked for 20 years, stopped about 9 years ago, miss it every day.

Bill.

1. 404

What finally made you quit?

I'm about ready.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Re: Quit

It's easy - just realise you don't want to do it any more.

I have never met a smoker who actually likes cigarettes.

2. Bill Ray (Written by Reg staff)

Re: Re: Inquiry

Children - well, the arrival of the first, and living 10 miles from the nearest shop, that helped too.

Bill.

2. Surreal

My Army "buddy" was from Kentucky, worked in tobacco warehouses and seemingly saw himself as a smoking evangelist.

The missus and I have been using ecigs exclusively for about 6 months now. There are buttons to push, batteries to change and charge, various little devices to play with (atomizers! cartomizers! drip-tips!) , clean, unclog, refill with myriad flavors. Then you can get into variable voltage and ohms, new circuitry, form factors, variable (and verifiable) nicotine levels! Despite sucking money from the available stock, it's still much cheaper.

Ah, the fun. I think it's better than just setting little sticks on fire, flicking ashes about and littering-up the yard and premises! Much, much less destructive to ones health as well.

1. Surreal
        Boffin

Ah, replying to myself again, just like talking to Mrs Surreal.

Just wanted to clarify that I'm not talking about "Blu", NLA or whatever. Look at sites like ecigsupply, madvapes, vaperschoice. I started with nasty/stale "tobacco-flavored", pre-filled, pricey ecigs.

As you were; smoke 'em if you've got em...

14. Jeff 11
    Stop

The conclusions drawn from this survey are dubious because YourSayPays is an online pollster. The people using it are not truly representative of the British population, especially when asked about technology. It's like asking which operating system people prefer at a Microsoft convention...

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like