back to article 'iPhone 5S' said to begin trial production next month

This December, Apple's Asian product assemblers will begin the first trial-production batch of its next version of the iPhone, said to be dubbed the iPhone 5S, in preparation for large-scale shipments (大舉出貨) to begin in the first quarter of next year. This news rumor comes via the Chinese-language Commercial Times in an …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Esskay
    Meh

Munster

Sounds like one of those apocalypse nutjobs insisting the world will end on a certain date - only to "revise" his claim due to "new interpretations" of the information provided to him by sources that only he has access to.

At least apocalyptical types bugger off after getting it wrong a few times - analysts just start predicting something else.

1. Darryl

Re: Munster

Well, they don't usually bugger off so much as the media gets tired of them being wrong over and over and just starts ignoring them.

1. Darryl
        WTF?

Oops... Forgot to add the rest of the line...

...just starts ignoring them, like they (hopefully) will with these analysts.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Nice work if you can get it though, the buggers keep paying him for the not exactly taxing task of coming up with Apple friendly waffle that is merely slightly different from everyone elses Apple friendly waffle. He'd have gone down a storm in 1st century Palestine.

2. J. R. Hartley

Well whooptie fucking doo

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

> For his part, Munster revised his timing prediction in late 2010, saying that Cupertino "will likely launch an all-in-one Apple Television in the next 2-4 years."

ah cmon, you can't let these "pundits" get away with it - "some kind of tech device in some kind of long timescale"?!?!

4. Ian Johnston Silver badge
    WTF?

Tell us the important news...

When will it be available in white?

But seriously, folks, how many people who shelled out for a 5 last month are going to shell out again for a 5S next month?

1. Graham Lockley

Re: Tell us the important news...

>But seriously, folks, how many people who shelled out for a 5 last month are going to shell out again for a 5S next month?

Enough that the BBC news service (?) will run a report about the queues outside the local apple chapel as if it were actually news ?

1. Joseph Lord

Maybe none (or just the seriously silly - unless it is really special) but maybe quite a few of those who didn't shell out for the iPhone 5 and are still using iPhone 4Ss, iPhone4s and even the 3GS and earlier or that don't yet have an iPhone.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

and Stephen Fry

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I suspect that scary fucker who flew from Sweden to London just to "celebrate" Apple by being first in the queue in Regent street for the iPhone 5 just might be happy to prise his wallet open. And he had some equally scary friends.

3. Mayday
      Mushroom

>>how many people who shelled out for a 5 last month are going to shell out again for a 5S next month?

Probably the same people who bought the 4th iPad 6 months after the third one.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

If you wanted to run a spoiler on Apple's sales what better way to do it?

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Very few but that's not the point - I suspect most are NEW buyers. Of all my iPhone friends and colleagues I know NONE that upgrade each time a new model is out. Seems a common mis-perception that is bandied around - do Android owners replace their phones every 6 months when a new model is out.

In fact quite the opposite is true I know of people using 3GS handsets now 4+ years old - still in normal use every day. I have an iPad 2 - couple of versions old but still a fantastic tablet - guess a new retina screen would be nice but not necessary for web, email, video, music, some games I play.

5. AlexS
    Mushroom

There will be no iPhone 5S...

... until they sort out their mapping application.

I bet that wasn't scheduled in the master plan, and I bet this hasn't been scheduled in peoples predictions.

How long will that take is the question. I wouldn't be surprised if they skip a scheduled iPhone release for this.

1. bazza Silver badge

Re: There will be no iPhone 5S...

I wouldn't put it past them to launch one anyway.

Everyone used to think that battery life was important until Apple came along. Everyone used to think that being able to make a phone call whilst on the move was important until Apple came along. Everyone used to take copy/paste for granted until Apple came along. Everyone used to think that Bluetooth interoperability was important until Apple came along. Everyone used to think that putting their own files on their mobile was important until Apple came along. Everyone used to think that being able to replace the battery was important until Apple came along (BTW didn't the EU have some law about that these days? What's happened to that?) Everyone used to think that warranty periods matching contract length was important until Apple came along. Everyone used to expect their mobiles to withstand the occasional bump and scrape until Apple came along and started making them out of glass. Everyone used to think that being able to plug in a microSD card was a good idea until Apple came along and started charging hundreds of dollars extra for the privilege of not having one at all. Everyone used to think that ring tone profiles were useful until Apple came along and decided that they weren't (I gather that iOS 6 sort of does them, but no where near as well as, for example, the truly ancient Nokia 6310i). Everyone used to think that good antenna design was important until Apple came along (most smartphones are now equally rubbish...).

Why should the concept of accurate working maps be any different? Needless to say I'm not going to buy one!

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Everyone used to think that battery life was important until Apple came along (and Sheeple bought them by the bucketloads). Everyone used to think that being able to make a phone call whilst on the move was important until Apple came along(and Sheeple bought them by the bucketloads). . Everyone used to take copy/paste for granted until Apple came along(and Sheeple bought them by the bucketloads). . Everyone used to think that Bluetooth interoperability was important until Apple came along(and Sheeple bought them by the bucketloads). . Everyone used to think that putting their own files on their mobile was important until Apple came along(and Sheeple bought them by the bucketloads). . Everyone used to think that being able to replace the battery was important until Apple came along (BTW didn't the EU have some law about that these days?(and Sheeple bought them by the bucketloads). What's happened to that?) Everyone used to think that warranty periods matching contract length was important until Apple came along(and Sheeple bought them by the bucketloads). . Everyone used to expect their mobiles to withstand the occasional bump and scrape until Apple came along and started making them out of glass(and Sheeple bought them by the bucketloads). . Everyone used to think that being able to plug in a microSD card was a good idea until Apple came along and started charging hundreds of dollars extra for the privilege of not having one at all(and Sheeple bought them by the bucketloads). . Everyone used to think that ring tone profiles were useful until Apple came along and decided that they weren't (I gather that iOS 6 sort of does them, but no where near as well as, for example, the truly ancient Nokia 6310i)(and Sheeple bought them by the bucketloads). . Everyone used to think that good antenna design was important until Apple came along (most smartphones are now equally rubbish...).(and Sheeple bought them by the bucketloads).

Why should the concept of accurate working maps be any different? Needless to say I'm not going to buy one! (and Sheeple will buy them by the bucketloads).

There, sorted for you.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

SOme more:

Everyone used to think that charger designs were to be standardised (MIcro USB) , until Apple came along (and extra costs for the adaptor).

Everyone used to think the E-book prices would come down, until Apple came along (and fixed the cartel)

Everyone used to think that Flash in browsers was the norm for internet, Until Apple came along.

Everyone use to think that any corners with rounded edges was preferable for safety and aesthetics, until Apple came along and patented it.

EVeryone used to think that Apple would apologise in British newspapers after the judgement, they buried it to make it almost irrelevant.

Now can I pre-order my Apple iPhone nth version please for about £1000 each?

Capitalism at its best.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Blimey. I can't believe how ANGRY some of you people get over the success of a product that clearly meets the needs of millions of people who just happen to not be YOU. I'm not sure who is more unfortunate: the people who queue outside a store before a product is launched (let's not forget that this isn't a phenomenon reserved for Apple customers) or people who get so incandescent at someone else's shopping preferences!

Sounds like an Apple product isn't the right choice for YOU but, to be honest, you sound pretty whiny when you bleat about how terrible their products are, particularly when it's so one-sided: presumably everything made or done by ANY other company is sheer perfection in comparison so you should be HAPPY that Apple throws things into such sharp relief for you.

Apple's ethics may be terrible but it baffles me as to why people continue to post their incoherent ramblings on an IT forum - as if they're trying to offer a public service to open people's eyes to their own personal version of reality. There are plenty of forums dedicated to anti-Apple views; why not go and post over there where you'll be amongst like-minded individuals, rather than here.

And perhaps I'm the only one who can see the irony of people using the term "sheeple" so often that they themselves are demonstrating the very behaviours that the term is intended to convey...

For what I need, most of Apple's products are too expensive and don't have all the features I need but I'm not wasting my time repeatedly bashing them - I make my choice and buy whatever suits me best whilst realising (and being happy) that millions are very happy with their Apple products.

AC because we can all predict the hysterical response that this is likely to get from people who are dedicated to all things anti-Apple.

2. envmod

i bet you're incredibly flabby and a virgin.

3. Stuart Castle Silver badge

Do you know what I find ironic about Android users? They go on about how Android is the best selling mobile OS, beating the iPhone by miles, then call iOS fans "sheeple". Maybe I should have said "bleat on".

4. bazza Silver badge
          Thumb Up

@AC 09:03

"...Why should the concept of accurate working maps be any different? Needless to say I'm not going to buy one! (and Sheeple will buy them by the bucketloads).

There, sorted for you."

Aha, I forgot that part! Personally speaking I find it depressing that shiny mediocrity sells so well. What's happened to the human race?

2. AlexS
        Mushroom

@bazza I don't know if you read the news but one of the Apple's execs resigned over the issue with the mapping application. No other exec is going to want to resign over the next phone, the next phone WILL HAVE TO have a decent mapping application (or else Apple will look bad again), and that may take a little time,

1. bazza Silver badge

@AlexS,

Perhaps, but they must have known that the maps were rubbish before they launched iPhone 5 and they went ahead anyway.

@AC 10:29

"Sounds like an Apple product isn't the right choice for YOU but, to be honest, you sound pretty whiny when you bleat about how terrible their products are, particularly when it's so one-sided: presumably everything made or done by ANY other company is sheer perfection in comparison so you should be HAPPY that Apple throws things into such sharp relief for you."

The problem with Apple is that they can't see beyond the end of their nose. If they chose to do some of the things that used to be 'normal' then they'd truly have a phone with universal appeal and they'd would own the whole market, probably forever. However as things stand they are losing market share to Android and Samsung, and the problem really lies in their approach to the customer base.

Everything they've done has generated high sales, but the technical omissions leaves room for others like Google to sneak in and win in the long run. Shiney is undoubtedly good, and it is satisfying to see people happy with their purchases. But shiney + functionality is probably better in most people's opinion, especially if it is a little bit cheaper. None of that is my problem, I'm not a shareholder...

3. HP Cynic

Well said, I still think most of those are "good ideas" and with each new Apple product it's quite a simple task to run a checklist then walk away.

Until they do replaceable batteries, expandable memory and a reduction in their ridiculous price premiums I know I'll never buy any of their offerings.

No matter how shiny.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

@HP Cynic

"Well said, I still think most of those are "good ideas" and with each new Apple product it's quite a simple task to run a checklist then walk away."

Excellent advice. Also needed for other manufacturers offerings too though. Sometimes people want different things, and an Apple product will tick more boxes than an Android/Microsoft/Whatever.

"Until they do replaceable batteries, expandable memory and a reduction in their ridiculous price premiums I know I'll never buy any of their offerings."

First two I could care less about. Ridiculous price premiums? I keep hearing this but can't find any proof. Maybe it's different over the pond in the US?

Over here in the UK, a quick comparison of the latest iPhone and it's main competitor Galaxy S3 shows a difference of approx £200 over a 24 month period. Now that is definitely something to take into account - but really - ridiculous? You're saying that less than £10 difference per month is ridiculous? Especially when most of that will be recovered if you sell the phone afterwards, whereas the Samsung would be worth significantly less after those 24 months.

"No matter how shiny."

Almost all phones, lately, seem pretty shiny to me. It's very annoying.

6. John Tserkezis
    Coat

If the report is right...

...at least if they can't get the buggy software corrected, they can make it buggy twice as fast.

Ok, I'm leaving.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I don't buy it

What is Apple going to do differently with the 5S that would make them want to release it within a few months of the 5? Is it going to have a 5" screen? Add a pointless gimmick like wireless charging?

If they are getting ready to crank up production of something, I would bet on the A1442 SKU - that's the iPhone 5 model that's rumored to be designed for China Mobile's network

1. HP Cynic

Re: I don't buy it

Well, I think they are experimenting with their release schedule more than anything: how many products can we be iterating on and at what frequency to maximize money. The actual improvements in those products barely matter in this scheme, just keep announcing them and pushing them out the door until they discover the sweet spot.

I think they have likely gone too far this year, the iPad 4 appeared so soon after the iPad 3 I know a few true fanbois who felt agrieved.

And I am pretty sure with the iPhone 4S they said "you all told us you thought the screen size was perfect and did not want it larger" only to announce the 5 soon after with a new "perfect screen size".

Just as the iPad Mini was suddenly the "perfect size" and suddenly Retina screens did not matter.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Probably Qualcomm's Global LTE chip that handles all known bands.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

They've already got it. But having a chip that supports all the bands is only part of the picture. You need multiple antennas to support multiple bands, and multiple power amplifiers for multiple bands. It's impossible to support all the worldwide LTE bands in a single phone and keep it anywhere near as thin as the iPhone 5 is. Probably not even possible in a GS3 form factor.

Originally Apple had only one model, when they added CDMA they had two temporarily but merged them again with the 4S. But with the 5 doing LTE, they had to give up and do like everyone else is doing, and have different models for different parts of the world. There were a semi-reasonable number of GSM/HSPA bands, but LTE is all over the place, and most of the world hasn't even begun deploying it. It is going to be a gigantic mess in a few years. There will never be such a thing as an LTE "world phone", though there may be some LTE "most of the world you probably care about if you don't travel too widely" phones.

1. Vic

> You need multiple antennas to support multiple bands

That's not *necessarily* true.

What we did years ago was to build trapped aerials - you insert one or more pairs of parallel tuned circuits into a longer antenna. At the resonant frequency of the trap, the outer bits are effectively disconnected (because the circuit goes high-Z), leaving you with the shorter antenna only.

Whether you could build a trapped antenna for a mobile phone is a question I'll leave to others with more recent experience...

Vic.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

iTV

They might want to change that for the UK. Given its current associations, using that moniker over here would be the branding equivalent of dressing your shiny tech up in a badly fitting clown suit and inviting the public to smear it with a mixture of rotten fruit and pulped copies of the Daily Fail's "jimmy Saville commemorative edition".

1. bazza Silver badge

Re: iTV

I gather (El Reg passum) that ITV lawyers have already been in touch to point out that the name is their's, no matter what the quality of the programs. Given Apple's lack of success in the UK courts recently they would be well advised to pay attention!

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Just buy iTV - simple.

2. Nick G
      Devil

They'll have to change it for the US too, as ITV have an active presence in the US making programmes for the US networks.

They're also in Australia, France, Germany & Sweden. That's some fairly hefty markets where 'ITV' is already taken...

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Given that the original Apple TV was to be called "iTV" and they abandoned it due to the broadcaster already owning the name, it's likely that the same thing will happen here, i.e. it'll become the third-generation Apple TV.

4. Stuart Castle Silver badge

Seeing as Apple is unlikely (IMO) to ever release a TV, what they call it is probably irrelevant..

Why won't they release it? Look at their history. They have only ever entered markets that are relatively small, profitable and make it easy for Apple to establish their name. In the 70s and 80s, they entered (and to a large extent, created) the computer market. Then, in the early 90s, they attempted a PDA (which was then small, and largely consisted of Psion organisers). Then in the early 2000s, they attemtped a music player. While this market was larger than the PDA market of the early 90s, it was still a lot smaller than it is today, with a lot of small manufacturers, but very few large ones).

Then came their entry into the Smartphone market. Again, this was a lot smaller than it is now (in fact, most phones didn't even come with a full web-browser and WiFi connection, and even assuming they could run apps (most couldn't), they were limited. Apple came to the market with a phone that offered all that and only really lacked Apps. Then they launched the App Store and iOS SDK.

Regarding the tablet market, well, around the early 2000s, a few manufacturers had a go, but none of their products ever took off. The iPad did (despite being a large iPhone with no calling capability).

My point is that Apple has (in the past) tended to enter markets where the market is small, there aren't many players and the market has the potential to be profitable.

The TV market is large, and has hundreds of companies operating in it,, and the profit margins are minimal. Hell, even the massive multinational electronics companies are reporting massive losses in their TV manufacturing departments.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Good luck Apple

Getting people to upgrade their TV to the next shiny model each year.

1. mark1978

Re: Good luck Apple

Which is exactly why an iTV won't work. Apple relies on people replacing their devices every 2 years or so, whereas you replace your TV more like every 5 years at the most. They would be much better off making their current 'Apple TV' system something actually worth buying; rather than having to pay to get a box which lets me pay again.

2. tsimeone

more like every month! silly sheeps

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Admiral Grace Hopper

more like every month! silly sheeps"

Indeed, unlike everyone else who bought the perfect device and has never upgraded it since.

Sent from my Compaq Deskpro 386 SX-25

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

This apple upgrade stuff is just BS - I've had my macbook over 4 years and it works just fine. My dad has a 4+ year old iPhone 3GS and it's just fine. I suspect very few apple users actually upgrade each time - most probably on the standard 18-24 month contract renewal (or longer). If anything I reckon the MTTU (mean time to upgrade) is longer with apple kit that most other stuff - especially other makers phones.

4. HP Cynic

Every 6 months now.......

10. CheesyTheClown
    Devil

Wasn't this more meaningful when...

Apple made better products?

Really, this year, Microsoft... yes Microsoft has outdone Apple on cool.... with the exception of Nokia phones. When Microsoft has their phone and Surface Pro out, I just don't see what will make Apple interesting anymore. I have bought 4 iPads, 4 iPhones, 2 Mac Minis, 2 Apple TVs, 2 Mac Books, etc... and frankly, now that Microsoft has finally gotten in the game, and frankly, Windows 8 is just about 10000 times better than iOS (and Mac OS X), I just can't see this mattering.

Apple went from being a monster early on to being almost nothing when Steve Jobs left. Somehow, I feel that Tim Cook just doesn't get it either and there will be no Steve Jobs coming back this time.

1. Martin 47

Re: Wasn't this more meaningful when...

Bloody hell, think of how much money you could have saved if you had bought one good smartphone, one good PC and one good TV instead of following fashion.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

you might be right. However your argument assumes that everyone who buys Apple kit replaces it every year.

The reality is that you couldn't be further from the truth.

I have a

5yr old 17in MBP that run Photoshop CS6 fine,

a 4yr old iPod touch,

a 9 yr old Nokia 6310i (ok, not a smartphone but more use to me than the HTC Sensation POS that I used until recently) and

a 2yr old LG TV (replaced when the old CRT one when phut)

I've just bought a cheapo Android tablet

I also drive an 8yr old car yet some people brand me as a 'fanboi' becasue I have two apple products.

I wish more people who post here would get a sense of reality. Oh silly me, they are in an Android RDF.

I don't know anyone who goes 'oh shiny, I must have one' when any company introduces a new version of a product.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

I have a 'must be' 10 year old iPod in my car - it was a standard 60Gb iPod at first and carried it around with me, then made it the in car system in one car, 3 years later moved it to the next car, 4 years later moved it to my current car (which is 2 years old) so yes it must be 10 years old and works just the same.

Wife had a 4 year old Macbook Pro that looks pretty much the same as the day she first got it - runs the latest software. I know plenty of people with iPhones as old as the 3GS and iPads of all different generations and all are still in use. No-one is rushing out to get the new model as the stuff just lasts.

2. HP Cynic

I don't own any Android devices.

I do however know 4 people who own iPhones, iPads and iMacs and they do indeed update them at every iteration (sometimes "sensibly" skipping one) and could truly be called "Fanbois" (and girls).

They are now griping at the release frequency. I did warn them this would happen before the iPad appeared - they will keep adding products into the gaps, you will want them, they will keep updating them, you will want them and your wallets will bleed.

As a neutral observer I think Apple should release updates when they have something significant to update, not just because they have moved into the next quarter. Ah well, they're the billionaires not me!

11. JaitcH
    FAIL

Apple TV, hardly worth the trouble

Gven the absolute garbage that passes for TV these days, does anyone really want access improved?

Do you want to see some ageing matron of a Tory MP getting squeezed in a box with 5,000 bugs and labelled 'reality'?

We need more quality drama from the BBC as well as David Attenborough-type shows so children can learn.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Apple TV, hardly worth the trouble

Dorries IS offensive, but not so much for he appearance... more for being a bit of a dork in terms of her mediaeval-feudal-evangelical views on society and business. And apparently pretending to be "working-class".

Has she "ever" been to a non-English speaking DEVELOPED country to see how they do it elsewhere? Ryanair could do her a ticket for what she probably considers an OK price for a coffee and a muffin!

2. Vic

> Do you want to see some ageing matron of a Tory MP getting squeezed in a box with 5,000 bugs

Yes. And they can throw in the rest of the pols while they're at it.

> and labelled 'reality'?

I don't care what it's labelled. I shan't be watching it. I'll just be happy it's occurring.

Vic.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

>> Do you want to see some ageing matron of a Tory MP getting squeezed in a box...

Hmmm - she may be irritating as heck, but it turns out she's a MILF - for some reason(!)

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

5S predictions

It's now plastic because "plastic is now cooler than aluminium" which the iSheeple will buy.

It's now got NFC an "amazing new technology never before available to apple consumers which the iSheeple will buy since they don't look outside of the jobsian cult.

and of course

This version is a shit load easier to put together than that last one, so we can sell out of phones because of demand, rather than a lack of supply. Which the iSheeple won't believe because it's something that'll be said by fandroids.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: 5S predictions

Don't you feel that the moniker sheeple is a little - how shall we say? Silly? Immature? Idiotic?

This time around the Samsung Galaxy S3 has sold more units than iPhone 5s. So does that make all Samsung buyers sheeple?

See how silly you look?

13. Shonko Kid
    Stop

Oh FFS!

Is this really the start of the next-iPhone hypemill? Seems to get earlier every year.

Can we just take it as read that Apple, like every other product lead company, is working on newer models of their existing products, and are maybe looking at new products to expand their portfolio? Is that really such shocking news?

I heard a rumour that somone in Cupertino recently wrote 'iPhone 6' on a slide, so the 5S is obsolete already!!!111!!! SSSSsshhhh. :-/

1. mark1978

Re: Oh FFS!

I wouldn't be surprised if 'iPhone 6' is the working title for whatever the next iPhone is, and I would be very surprised if they hadn't already been working on it for at least a year already.

Just because they are using iPhone 6 as a working title doesn't have any bearing as to the final name.

14. This post has been deleted by its author

15. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

New Launch

St. Jobs stool test poo is now encrusted in crystal and is to be offered ot the highest bidder.

Any takers?

16. TheProf
    Headmaster

Rant

Media people, please, TRIFECTA does not mean 3.

From wikipedia:

In horse racing terminology, a trifecta is a parimutuel bet in which the bettor must predict which horses will finish first, second, and third in exact order.

If you want to sound clever What about:

a triplet of predictions?

a trinity of market forecasts?

a trilogy of analysts estimates?

a triptych of media speculations?

Hell, you could just write about 'three wild guesses'.

What was that about a new mobile telephone?

17. tsimeone

I hope Granada/itv sue apple big time over the name... IF true!

18. Joerg
    Thumb Down

Tim Cook really wants to kill Apple if he releases two iPhone a year

Seriously.. Tim Cook is on crack.

If he really wants to sell two iPhone versions a year then Apple will start losing all its value.

It's just plain crazy.

19. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I suspect they're bringing forward the launch of the iPhone 5S to keep up with the Android crowd.

Lets face it, the iPhone 5 was a bit of a damp squib specs-wise.

It wasn't much more impressive than any of the latest Android handsets, and in 3-6 months time it'll be well behind the Android pack.

1. Joerg
      Thumb Down

you must be on crack.

The iPhone 5 is a top-notch product. It's the best smartphone on the market right now.

Android crap phones and the WindowsPhone8 Metro childish failure are a silly joke.

20. Philippe
    Go

It makes sense for two reasons. LTE and Launch timing

The current iPhone doesnt work on 800 and 2600 LTE bands which will start being widespread in Europe from May-June 2013 they need to add those bands up.

The second thing is timing.

When they moved from June to November with the iPhone 4S launch, they missed the analysts estimates.

They brought the launch of the iPhone 5 forward (i.e October) but they again missed the analyst estimates as the whole world knew about it.

They need to go back to a May launch in order to avoid missing those estimates again.

In the UK, one of the operator offers a rent an iPhone service, you can keep a phone for just 6 months to a year and move to a new one whenever you feel like it.

If Apple start updating the iPhone twice a year, this type of deal wil make a lot of sense.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: It makes sense for two reasons. LTE and Launch timing

Very few people actually upgrade like that and I suspect any deal offering a new iPhone every 6 months would be very expensive.

The problem Apple have is there is more competition now so 1 phone per year is just not going to keep up. Also contacts come to an end and do you really want to wait ages for a new / latest phone. People expect a new iPhone around October so sales over the summer slow down as people wait - having 2 new iPhones every year would probably even it up a bit.

1. Joerg
        Stop

Re: It makes sense for two reasons. LTE and Launch timing

More competition what?

Failed statistics spread by Google, Samsung and Microsoft to tell the world that they would be dominating the smartphone and tablet market? Seriously?

Apple owns the market with over 70% of the profits.

Also the Android Marketplace it's a mess and a joke. People who buy Android smartphones don't buy any apps. They want everything for free and they pirate even $0.50 apps. Go figure.

Microsoft WindowsPhone8,Surface,WinRT and so on doesn't even exist at all. Developers won't even think about wasting time and resources on such a platform. They already keep losing money on Android.

iOS and Apple are the only real market.

Competitors what?

Tim Cook is a marketing guy on crack. Clearly. The whole iPad Mini thing putting the true new iPad 4 in the shadows wasn't enough. Now he wants to ensure Apple losing money for realy with two iPhone released each year?

21. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I'd actually be happy if Apple said it would bring out 2 phones per year and why not - the '5' then the '5s' does not seem unreasonable - stop making it all secret and be clear. I still see people buying older 4/4s models and until weeks ago Apple were still selling the 3GS so people are buying them as not everyone has to have the latest (and most expensive).

I own various Apple and other kit and to be honest the Apple stuff is typically better made, better supported, more reliable and lasts longer - yes costs a bit more but if it lasts longer or is worth more when you come to sell it the TCO is probably the same or less.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like