back to article Acer lowballs on price with Celeron-powered C7 Chromebook

Google has added a third laptop to its current Chrome OS range with the Acer C7, a budget Chromebook that will sell for under $200 in the US from Tuesday and will arrive in the UK shortly. The C7 is a three pound laptop with an 11.6-inch, 1366x768 screen powered by a 1.10GHz Intel Celeron 847 processor with 2MB L3 cache and …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Nate Amsden

netbook?

is this basically a netbook with google's OS on it ?

seems like it - x86 cpu, internal hd ..

??

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

As useful

As cardboard toilet paper for those of us in the outer limits.

2. Philippe
    FAIL

Fail and Fail

X86 and HDD.

Nuff said

1. Chris Miller

Re: Fail and Fail

Which part of the word "budget" are you unfamiliar with? If you expect to find an SSD in a laptop costing under $200, you're in for disappointment.

1. Nelbert Noggins

Re: Fail and Fail

At £199 it's only £30 cheaper than the Samsung Arm equivalent...

Has 3.5 hour battery instead of 6 hour...

Is thicker...

Is Heavier...

Boot time is irrelevant... what about resume time?

Like the chromebox I assume there is a fan inside somewhere... The silence of the Arm Chromebook and lack of hotspots under load is worth the £30

Unless you want to enable dev mode and make it a short battery life Linux laptop then I don't see the budget benefits for £30... The only thing i'm missing with Arm is the NaCL part of Google SSH...

I thought Dixons at the airport was having a laugh with the Samsung 3G/Wifi at over £400..... Seems Acer employ the Dixons jokers as well.

3. Anonymous John
    Unhappy

That will be £200 in the UK then.

1. Paul E

yep..

Up as being £199 http://www.google.co.uk/intl/en_uk/chrome/devices/landing-acer.html#utm_campaign=en_GB&utm_medium=ha&utm_source=en_GB-ha-emea-gb-bkws&utm_medium=oa

4. Darryl
    Thumb Down

A 1.1 GHz celeron?

Probably still better off waiting for clearance sales and getting last year's 'decent' laptop for the same price or slightly more.

5. bittenbytailfly
    Stop

Fact check

I've got the 550 model, which has a Celeron and an Ethernet port.

It's a fantastic little device which makes for a perfect secondary machine.

6. bittenbytailfly
    Stop

Fact Check

I have the Samsung 550, which has both a Celeron processor and an Ethernet port, so it's not so unusual.

People who hate Chromebooks are missing the point. If you're not a , graphic designer or high end gamer, there's little you can't do with one of these. If, like me, you fall into one of the above categories they make pretty nifty seconddary machines when you just want to check something, or handy for doing a bit of editing on documents (even offline nowadays), and are great for remote access to a more powerful desktop at home when you're out and about.

Also nice to see something other than an apple logo when in your favourite expensive coffee chain.

1. Robert Grant
      Happy

Re: Fact Check

I'm a developer and my laptop can be running multiple VMs each with server software, as well as compiling duties. Why don't I make the list? A high-end graphic designer these days needs what? Drop shadows? Or are we back to 2d stuff? I forget.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Why not just buy an old laptop and put Linux on it. Still a lot more useful than this.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Now if only

Now if only they did one in psion 5 series style format, something that can fit into large pockets with a keyboard still today makes the psion 5 used today by people. A Chromebook in that formfactor would probably be more popular than many believe. Phones are great, but for many things you want a keyboard and with that Chromebook keyboards run just as fast as any highend all singing and dancing laptop, and it is with that which they are targeted for. You know, the boring things in life, the things you use a computer for other than games and playing home sysadmins. It is those things that the Chromebook is targeted towards and in many level is doing a more advanced duty of what psion series 5 organisers did back in there heyday. Just not as pocket friendly, though thats not there main target it is certianly a complementary avenue that would make for a realy nice and cheaper device.

Still the price direction will only help us consumers, be it directly or indirectly via makeing others compete.

9. Mikel
    Thumb Up

This will work

I can see myself putting Linux on it if I don't take to Chrome. At $200, not a tragedy if it isn't perfect.

1. Mikel

Dual core, 64 bit and VT-x.

Interesting. Maybe I''ll run the Chrome OS in a VM.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Dual core, 64 bit and VT-x.

I haven't had much luck with Chromium in VMs but I haven't messed around with it too much either. Might recommend installing to USB and booting from there instead. Just $0.02 from an AC FWIW...

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I have to admit, the price point makes it interesting, but only if it's possible to install something else on the machine. Does the bios allow booting on external devices?

1. Nelbert Noggins

It's a Chromebook... every ChromeOS device before it has a dev mode to allow booting from USB/SD storage and booting unsigned OS.

I expect it'll be like the Samsung Arm Chromebook and be keyboard combo with <ctrl>+u to boot rather than a physical switch given the comments by Google that they were moving away from physical switches for dev mode.

If it doesn't it'll be the first ChomeOS device not to support it.

11. neil 15
    Thumb Down

Acer

But being Acer it will take you at least three attempts before you get one that works properly, then just after the warranty runs out it, something will break due to the penny pinching Acer production methods. My Acer Iconia tablet, great bit of kit (took me three to get a decent working one) just stopped working. Seems to save a little bit of production money, the power switch is not actually soldered to the motherboard, just held in place by willpower into the positioning holes. It will be a VERY long time until I even consider any Acer kit again.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like