back to article Blizzard blasts 'frivolous' security lawsuit

World of Warcraft developer Blizzard has said claims made in a lawsuit which alleges it engaged in "deceptive and unfair" business practices are entirely "without merit". The lawsuit, filed by gamer Benjamin Bell in the US, insists Blizzard is forcing online players of Diablo III, Starcraft and World of Warcraft to pay $6.40/£ …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Gordon Pryra

Yup

Much as I hate to say it, I am with Blizzard on this one. Your are not forced to buy it and use it.

1. C Yates
      Pint

I was with Blizz too until...

"He also wants the Court to force Blizzard to drop Battle.net as a requirement to run the games."

He may be a moron, but this I happen to agree with.

1. ZeroP
        Facepalm

Re: I was with Blizz too until...

Their platform, their rules. It's why I haven't touched the games I have stuck on Origin in so long.

2. Kevin 6

Re: Yup

Well nope now if you want to sell gear on Diablo 3's RMAH you NEED it. As I don't have one and tried just to be greeted with a dialog box that sent me to the page to purchase one (As I do not own a cell phone)

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

What Next...

Is Benjamin Bell going to sue Blizzard for having to grind for maximum Valour points per week for his epics??

Or that Galaron in Heart of Fear's "Looking For Raid" is constantly wiping raids because they too stupid to follow tactics?

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

£8.99?

Seems kinda steep. That's consumer retail price for a little HOTP keyring.

Still, it is about time this sort of tech started becoming more commonplace.

1. TechicallyConfused
      Stop

Re: £8.99?

Seriously? Steep? £9. . when you are happily willing to shell out that every month to play plus the cost of the game. . . it is nothing. In fact it really is nothing if you download the app to IOS or Andriod!!!

1. Danny 14

Re: £8.99?

there is an lg GW620 on ebay going for 99p plus 3.99 pnp finishing soon. Buy that then and use the app its cheaper. You could also use it as a wifi radio too if you liked or a music player.

4. Captain_Aluminium

They're right, it is frivolous, the authenticator is optional, and you can get a free smartphone app that does it for you, you know, if you decide security is more important than convenience.

5. Chad H.

To be honest...

I wish more sites would use these authenticator thingies and apps.

1. Steven Roper
      Thumb Up

I agree, however...

...there should be a standard for these authenticators so you only buy one and they can be used on mutliple websites. Otherwise, what happens if everyone were to follow your idea as it stands, we'd end up with a thousand little digital dongles on our desks, carry bags and keyrings, and spend ages sorting out which one is supposed to be for which site/service. We need someone like ISO, ICANN or the W3C to define and design a standard two-factor authentication dongle that works everywhere via a set API.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The pricing is rather predatory though

I mean, what the hell kind of an exchange rate makes $6.40 into £8.99?

That's properly taking the piss.

1. Robert Helpmann??
      Childcatcher

Re: The pricing is rather predatory though

I mean, what the hell kind of an exchange rate makes $6.40 into £8.99?

The kind that involves overseas shipping and perhaps additional taxes. Why buy the cow when the milk is free, though?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Come on, if it cost anywhere near the £3 per unit that you're claiming to ship & customs clear a box of keyfob-sized objects from China it'd be impossible to buy USB sticks, and Poundland would be a dream.

Shipping and VAT is why $5 turns into £5, it doesn't go much further than that unless you're taking the piss.

1. Robert Helpmann??
          Childcatcher

Shipping and VAT is why $5 turns into £5, it doesn't go much further than that

Fair enough. How about because they can and people will pay for it so they will?

2. TechicallyConfused
      Stop

Again - money on it these are sourced in the US and shipped to Europe/ROW. Yes it costs less in the US, have we asked if they are marketing them against competing security in other online games though. However let's keep this in perspective. . .You don't HAVE to have it, you get get same functionality for free with an IOS or Android smartphone, it is ONLY £9 and. . oh yeah YOU DON'T HAVE TO HAVE IT.

7. mickey mouse the fith
    FAIL

Stupid is as stupid does

Not the sharpest tool in the box by a long way. Even if it was mandatory, so what? its hardly a kings ransom and there are free apps available anyway.

If he was logging in and playing the game without the thing, what on earth made him think it was mandatory?

So yes, frivolous and retarded is a good description of this. I guess this will be tossed by a judge in about 10 seconds flat and hopefully, he will be made to pay for wasting court time.

8. Neil B
    FAIL

This sounds like the sort of ridiculous "We shld sue Blzz" crap that 10 year-olds regularly commit to the WoW forums when their favourite class has been nerfed.

Illogic aside, they've repeatedly stated that they sell these at cost because the money it saves them on support and account management from players who have had their accounts compromised more than makes up for it. I guess you could just assume they're lying, if you like.

9. Longrod_von_Hugendong
    FAIL

Sleep with dogs...

and you will get fleas, better to leave well alone and game elsewhere.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Free Goodness

Or even use this: http://code.google.com/p/winauth/ ?

11. James 51

If you want to play off line do you still need the account?

12. g7rpo

@james 51

You cant play any of the newer battlenet games offline, WOW is a full blown MMO and Starcraft/Diablo3 both need a live internet connection, if the connection drops it throws you out

1. James 51

Re: @james 51

Am going to need to replace my dying netbook. Was considering getting a decent gaming rig. Starcraft was one of the titles I was going to get it for by if you need an internet connection to play it, hardily worth my while.

1. Kevin 6

Re: @james 51

Starcraft 1, and broodwars good no net connection to play needed tons of hours (I spent) in replayability.

starcraft 2 25 ppl I knew bought it the day it came out(all were heavy SC1 players). after a month no one played it anymore. IMO its no where near as good as SC1 (and no that wasn't rose colored glasses as we all went and played SC1 for a bit after we got sick of SC2)

Diablo 3 same things Pile of ppl I knew who were hardcore D2 players played it for a month o 2 hoping the patches would make it better now none of the ppl I know touches it.

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Only required if you want to buy and sell for real money.

I got my authenticator from a friend who had gotten an extra one or two with a boxed product of some sort, effectively free.

14. blofse

for the sake of....

...something for $6 or £9, why shell out so much money for a law case? It does not make economic sense!

I imagine the judge to say:

"....ok Benjamin, you win. Here is you $6 and a bill from your lawyers for $10,000. Well done you looser."

15. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"You can get Authenticator functionality for free by downloading an iOS or Android app, it added."

So install Bluestack on your PC.

Job Done.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like