back to article Kim Dotcom's Mega pops up AGAIN, now in New Zealand

Embattled internet tycoon Kim Dotcom has emerged with yet another a new domain for the promised revival of his Megaupload file-sharing site, this time located in his adopted home nation of New Zealand. Much like its earlier incarnation at www.me.ga, the new website at mega.co.nz is essentially just an advertisement for the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Don't like the guy, never used his old megaupload site, probably won't use the new site. Hope the new site does well and is bulletproof enough against takedowns to upset the Hollywood lobbying bullies though!

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Ok, was this intentiaonal all along?

Biggest publicity stunt in the history of the world? Why do I suspect this?

"www.mega.co.nz[piracy]"

Is he trolling the court who were told he ran a "Mega Conspiracy"?

/tinfoil hat. I'm only having fun, don't downvote. I'm not really a loon. ;)

3. LarsG
    Meh

Hope this will be one in the eye to the 'authorities'.

4. Old Handle
    Trollface

Mega Conz?

I'm not sure this domain is as good as the last one.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Mega Conz?

It's certainly more descriptive.

2. dotdavid
      Thumb Up

Re: Mega Conz?

As much as though I empathise with the guy's struggles against shady extradition mechanisms, judging by his past actions a Cook Islands domain name might be most appropriate.

5. JaitcH
    Thumb Up

We need more like Dotcom ...

even if only to let the US know it's money isn't worth that much, any more.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Unfortunately...

Doty isn't likely to have much success in NZ if he facilitates piracy. He must really want to spend the rest of his fat days in prison.

7. Charles Manning

Sick of this bugger

Ok, 5M people doesn't generate much news, but dotcom is getting really old.

Luckily he seems to think NZ begins and ends with Auckland. I hope he just leaves us Mainlanders alone.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I dont get the big deal about megaupload, i checked it out a few times, i looked into how its users got paid, they got paid for the length of the video and the number of views, its no different then youtube in a lot of ways. Actually its easier to find things on youtube, how bout an old disney movie, one of my favorites "flight of the navigator", check.. how about the jeffersons, check..

im sure the people at megaupload checked before handing out cheques that they wernt hosting pirated material since it would save them money. I noticed way more 'sorry this page has been removed' notices on megaupload then i do on youtube.

I really dont get the double standard, but it makes me wonder who the good guys are.

All this over copyright infringements for silly stuff when we could be automating the work force with bots and AI, then handing out free cheques to everyone. am i done? check!

9. John Tserkezis

Let's hope he never tries to sell a paid model.

After his last attempt, and the impossibility of valid legal users getting their data back, he can only hope on a free model, and a properly free one at that.

So much for people sprouting the virtues of the cloud being "you never lose your data".

1. crayon

Re: Let's hope he never tries to sell a paid model.

'So much for people sprouting the virtues of the cloud being "you never lose your data".'

Technically, "the cloud" loses the data for you so you don't have to do it yourself.

10. Velv
    FAIL

"already had an alternative domain name registered, which seems to have been the case, given that Mega is back online so soon."

Seriously, journalists these days.

It takes SECONDS to register a domain name, and not much longer to get it active (depending on the supplier). OK, so he is likely to have had at least one other registered. He probably has more. But even if all of those are mysteriously shut down it doesn't take long to get another active.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

exactly, and furthermore...

...you can query whois to find when the domain was registered, you don't need to assume he had done it already based on anything else:

domain_dateregistered: 2012-07-26T00:34:01+12:00

So yes, the domain was registered in July it seems.

11. FullyGroan

Avoiding ,com?

Funny, most of the content on that page is being served out from http://static.kim.com - guessing it's early days yet though.

12. Adam JC
    Black Helicopters

Putting the 'Piracy' in 'Conspiracy' since 2012 (tm) ;-)

Helicopter cos... well, obviously really!

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like