back to article Apple's 'inaccurate statements and FALSE INNUENDO'

This was the week when Cupertino finally published that statement on its website about how Samsung never infringed on the iPad, but naturally they buried it for Brits under the fold by resizing the whole front page. Apple had previously published a surly acknowledgement following UK court defeat against Samsung, which led …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Pint

quote: Straight off the bat, Torvalds wasn't too keen on KDE user interface:

I'm not either, for the same reason (or one of them,) but unlike Linus, I don't know where or what to change to fix this abomination. But I'm still not switching back to the gnew Gnome gui.

1. David Hicks
      Linux

Re: quote: Straight off the bat, Torvalds wasn't too keen on KDE user interface:

If you want old-style desktops then it might be worth investigating Trinity (KDE3 fork) or MATE (gnome2 fork).

However it's unlikely these will be available by default in your distribution of choice. I recommend installing XFCE as it's well supported, up to date and simple. in debian or ubuntu it's as simple as typing 'apt-get install xfce4', YMMV for other distro's but they all have it. If you're a Mint user you could also try cinnamon.

1. Miek
        Linux

Re: quote: Straight off the bat, Torvalds wasn't too keen on KDE user interface:

Torvalds is quite right about KDE4, the same is now true of Gnome3 and this Unity crap.

I am using Cinnamon under Ubuntu, it has a normal menu and a list of windows on the panel, all I really need.

2. AlbertH
    Linux

Gnome

Gnome has got it so wrong....

KDE is a bit strange at first, but when you get used to it, it's great!

1. squilookle
      Linux

Re: Gnome

All of the open sources desktops have their strengths and weaknesses. KDE4 desktops do tend to look more like someone vomited widgets on them than "beautiful", which is a word I have seen used to describe KDE in the past. Some of the included applications are excellent, especially Amarok and K3B. I find simple things like syncing the calendar with Google calendar get a bit complicated. With the right configuration though, KDE can go like the proverbial brown stuff off a shovel, despite the accusations of bloat.

Gnome shell goes the other way. I think it looks nice, and for the short while I used it I got so used to throwing my mouse pointer to the top left for the dash that I started doing it on my Windows 7 PC at work. Downsides, performance of the window manager is terrible and the fact you can't turn the effects down to ease the issue is ridiculous. I understand that most of the basic feature require compositing so you can't just turn it off, but it's a shame they didn't create some better solution for this than fallback mode, which I tried for an hour and quickly abandoned it. I do like the fact I can enter my GMail username and password and have the calendar integrated automatically. If I were using a service not supported though, I can imagine that would be a pain.

I like Unity but it's not perfect, and I'm disappointed they removed the 2D version from 12.10.

I currently use XFCE. It's fairly lightweight, it sits somewhere between Gnome and KDE in terms of configuration options. I have Conky running on the desktop which I find far more useful, configurable, and better looking than KDE's widgets. You can search for applications using the Application finder. It's not as slick as the Unity or Gnome Shell dashes, but it is quicker.

I'll round that rant up by saying I'm happy we have the choice.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Admission of guilt?

Surely by removing the offending javascript, they are admitting that it was wrong.

When will the courts punish them as a result of doing so?

1. Test Man
      Thumb Down

Re: Admission of guilt?

Nah, they'll just say that they removed it as it didn't have the desired effect, or that it didn't work on specific setups, or something equally slippery. Just removing code isn't an admission of any sort of guilt.

4. fajensen
    Pirate

Apple says they don’t infringe. But Apple developers testified that they didn’t pay any attention to anyone’s patents when developing their system

Probably under the advice from the legal team: If they do investigate patents and still infringe it can appear deliberate, which will be punished harder with fines than would be the case if they are infringing by accident, where the remedy normally is to stop using the unlicensed technology or to license it!

Anyway, Those were the instructions I was given "back in the days" where IPR was The Golden Ticket to endless revenue and free blow(jobs).

Besides, developers have to, you know, Develop. They are not doing that while trolling around in patent databases.

1. Mike Pellatt
      Thumb Up

How right you are

You're absolutely right. In the USofA, having just looked for a patent on the thing you're developing can be enough to lead to a determination of wilful infringement. That leads to the damages being tripled - a little bit more than "being punished harder".

So all development is carried out with no reference to patents, given that someone, somewhere is guaranteed to have got a highly ambiguous or totally obvious patent that can be twisted to demonstrate infringement by your product. So best to avoid those guaranteed damages being tripled.

This is reason no. 3404 that the patent system is Broken.

5. VinceH

Optional

From the end of the judgement: "I hope that the lack of integrity involved in this incident is entirely atypical of Apple."

Yeah, let's all hope that, while taking up porcithology (like ornithology, but spotting flying pigs).

6. Peter Simpson 1
    Facepalm

me.ga

[ring, ring]

Gabon Minister of Telecommunications: "Hello?"

FBI numpty: "We'd like to speak with you about a recent application for a .ga domain name and the future level of your foreign aid from us."

GMoT: "What domain name application? It's already been cancelled."

FBIn: "Thank you. Have a nice day."

7. This post has been deleted by its author

8. dssf

Shocker of the Century: Appleand HTC Settle...

"HTC and Apple reach global settlement"

""HTC is pleased to have resolved its dispute with Apple, so HTC can focus on innovation instead of litigation," HTC CEO Peter Chou said in the statement.

Apple CEO Tim Cook said: "We are glad to have reached a settlement with HTC."

"We will continue to stay laser focused on product innovation.""

More at:

http://www.hindustantimes.com/technology/BusinessComputing-Updates/Taiwan-s-HTC-and-Apple-reach-global-settlement/SP-Article1-957974.aspx

And

http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5jSzcCybm6trZsjFyxo3C6zWcUXNg?docId=CNG.cb60ccc707ba9d86a942b2ec16e6a4ea.521

And elsewhere.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"The possibility of being banged up for privacy... "

I'm not sure what you were getting at there - is "privacy" a crime now?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like