back to article TXT war hits India in time for Diwali holiday

Indians preparing to celebrate the nation's most important holiday, Diwali, may have to do so without being able to text friends and family after an ugly TXT war erupted among Indian telcos. India's Economic Times reports that Bharti Airtel won't accept incoming TXTs from rival networks Aircel and Reliance Communciations, both …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. jake Silver badge

How hard is it?

Quite simply, spam doesn't scale. Anything that doesn't scale in the telecom/computing world is contraindicated. I'm considering adding all of India to my filters ... This shit is getting tiresome.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Umm... what's a TXT? Don't you mean SMS?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Quite

TXT makes no sense. It's an SMS or a text message (although I'm prepared to accept 'text', modern man that I am...)

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Not really spam

I suspect problem is not spam, as the consumer has asked for the message. The problem is the sending network get sthe message from a company and charges them a fee. They then deliver it to the consumer network for a much lower fee using inter working agreements geared up for person to person messages. Hence the receiving network loose money it would have been paid for delivering the message. When you are takling millions of messages a day this gets to be big sums of money.

this can be pretty much stopped by installing an SMS firewall with some good filters. Maybe the carriers in India should learn to use google and search on SMS firewall.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like