back to article Angry Birds Star Wars game review

Rovio expanded its most popular franchise yet again today, transforming Angry Birds for sci-fi fans with a Star Wars theme. While the game is essentially Angry Birds Space with a dollop of Jedi and a mix of the previous games in the series, those yet to find themselves bored of flinging feathers will love it. Fans of George …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. James 51

How much is the playbook version going to cost? The standard one is £5. That's a lost more expensive than those listed.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

At the end of the day

It's still the same old same old Angry Birds with a new background.

The game has run its course..........

1. Andus McCoatover
        Windows

The game has run its course..........

I'm guessing you're an accountant, or with some other well-paid, dismally dull and boring job. Ant-eater tamer might fit the bill (no pun intended) better.

Try: http://www.kulfoto.com/funny-pictures/23463/what-really-happened-to-stonehenge and see if you can laugh. If you can't, I've 6' of rope in my garage. (They outlawed pistols awhile ago)

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Bad Piggies

Much more fun than tossing birds around, IMO..

Also, for those with small kids & an iPad, grab Cargo Bot - free, and teaches kids logic instruction.

3. Z-Eden
    Coat

Looks alright.

Though I will say: Expect more of this now disney has the rights...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I'm holding out for

Angry Birds Lego Star Wars Kingdom Hearts MLP.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Awesome as it is, Angry birds is merely some fancy visuals and a thin wrapper for the free open source Box2D is it not? Do Rovio directly employ much in the way of programming talent?

5. Lord Voldemortgage

Halal Solo

" it's clear where the mullah really comes from"

Not from the side of the pigs, one presumes.

6. Pete the not so great
    Unhappy

Another porcine pixellated pogrom

how con I constrain my excitement

7. Spoonsinger
    Unhappy

I really really really...

don't understand the whole angry birds thing!. Is it this decades new tamagotchi or pokemon? (Just really pants at so many levels, but has a vast media backing for some reason). God help us, (or whatever your beliefs are).

1. Radelix

Re: I really really really...

its a silly time killer of a game. It just happens to be one of the really good ones. It went viral a few years ago ( I sentence myself to 30 lashings for using viral ) when it gained critical mass and also had a movie tie in created for it.

2. elaar

I think it's fair to say, if you play angry birds, you have no social life.

1. Pirate Dave Silver badge
        Pirate

@elaar - why would a reader of El Reg have a social life? We're computer nerds. Social is for folks who went to school and majored in art.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Mushroom

In that case I have no social life. Deal with it.

1. elaar

I have 3 thumbs down from angry bird "gamers", not sure if I should laugh or cry!

Pirate dave: agreed, but shouldn't we be coding perl scripts to take over the world, or watching old episodes of the IT Crowd, rather than playing a game that's made for 8 year olds? :)

8. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

But, but, but...

What about a bikini clad princess Leia, is she included too?

I could see it now; shoot her at the lot and all the pigs, errr; stormtrooper thingies self-explode.

1. Caleb Cox (Written by Reg staff)

Re: But, but, but...

Good point. Kinect Star Wars did have that going for it I suppose...

9. ThomH

Exponential growth

As a function of franchises, we used to be limited to O(n) releases a year. Thanks to the pioneering work of companies like Rovio and Lucasarts it looks like we're working towards O(n^2). Thank goodness!

1. trottel
      Headmaster

Re: Exponential growth

If you know O-notation, you should know that $O(n^2)$ is not exponential, it is polynomial. $O(2^n)$ is exponential.

Ok, ok, i will now crawl under my stone again.

Written from my latex-vim.

10. Stig2k
    Thumb Up

Well sod you lot

you all may be miserable bastards but I love it. They've even got the dodgy screenwipes between levels that the original films had between scenes.

11. tin 2

@stig2k yep - I'm definitely no star wars geek, but I did notice that too - made me smile :)

12. John Tserkezis

Dare I ask about background data usage?

Not the first time they've tried it...

13. Dana W
    Thumb Down

I'd call them sadistic equestrian necrohiles, but that's beating a dead horse.

And that's what this is. Beating a dead horse.

14. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

Surprisingly good fun

Admittedly, I'm a bit of an Angry Birds fanboy but I was initially a undecided about this given the propensity for a lot of Star Wars(themed) games to be complete and utter shit, albeit with a few notable exceptions.

This isn't a simple re-skin of Angry Birds - it combines the best bits of 'regular' Angry Birds and 'Angry Birds Space' (as well as the worst bits, viz. boss battles) and managed to keep it relatively fresh by modifying the birds' abilities, such as lightsabres, blasters etc. and the 'upgrade' of a bird's abilities as you progress is a nice touch too.

In the end, though, it's still a cash cow albeit a fun one and still the old 'point and fling' Angry Birds. 'Bad Piggies', on the other hand, is absolutely brilliant.

1. The Infamous Grouse
      Alien

I'm not afraid to admit to being a fan of all things Birds and Piggies, and a bit of a Star Wars nerd to boot, so the last couple of days playing though this have been nirvana.

Rovio need to be careful when it comes to franchising the Angry Birds phenomenon, though. If they play to their strengths -- the games themselves and some well-chosen tie-ins -- they'll probably be OK, and the occasional greetings card or novelty loudspeaker shouldn't upset too many people. But if they press on with their plans to saturate multiple markets with TV series, movies, soft toys and theme parks they're in grave danger of crossing what I like to term the Mr. Blobby Event Horizon, beyond which nothing -- not even cynicism -- can escape.

It's at this point that the fickle nature of an audience that knows full well when it's being squeezed dry will turn against them and look elsewhere for its entertainment. If that happens, and they've already invested heavily in licensing and physical infrastructure, Rovio will be in very big trouble indeed.

On a more positive note the Dagobah levels of Angry Birds Star Wars, which can indeed be unlocked by an in-app payment, also unlock if you get three stars on all of the earlier levels. A nice little gift for the persistent.

This topic is closed for new posts.