back to article Navy SEALs from Bin Laden kill unit spanked for video game work

Seven members of US special forces have been slapped on the wrist and had their pay docked for revealing ‘trade secrets’ to a games developer. According to US TV network CBS, the seven soldiers, all active members of SEAL Team 6*, spent two days last summer telling Medal of Honor: Warfighter creator Electronic Arts about …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Thomas 4
    Thumb Down

Richly deserving of punishment

I'm reliably informed that Warfighter is a fucking awful game.

2. Arachnoid

Mistakes happen when in "armed negotiations with an adversary" and reacting to events is brought through training not written in a Hostage rescue for Dummies manual.Politicians have great hindsight after the event but doesn't quite cut the mustard with the boots on the ground where life is only a few inches to the left or right.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

a bit one-sided

those consultations with seal teams. Why don't they speak to Taliban about head-cutting techniques? It would only be fair, innit? :(

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: a bit one-sided

You have a point - most popular games have such a GOD BLESS AMERICA western-slant.

I'm sure there are Taliban FPSes,out there, but I'm pretty sure they're terrible.

Why not a triple A title where you glorify the Taliban and kill infidels? It seems like it would balance out this macho chest thumping nonsense comfortably.

4. Pen-y-gors

A bit unfair...

The 'seals' leak information that may be useful to the enemy and get docked a few weeks pay, Bradley Manning leaks information that may be useful to the enemy and faces the death penalty.

Doesn't seem quite fair to me...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: A bit unfair...

There is a big difference that escapes you. The Seals leaked trivial info. to a game maker. Manning and ASSange leaked documents that may have and probably did get people killed.

5. Magister
    Happy

The future of warfare

>>Assuming, of course, drones don't put them all out of work in the near future<<

This has been a suggestion ever since the development of weapons. Every new development is the one that is going to stop warfare for ever. It happened with spears, with chariots, with cannon and rifles.

But the reality is that you will always need the hairy arsed individuals that are prepared to climb to the top of the hill and hold it against all comers. (My interpretation of "The Art of War" by Sun Tzu)

6. Jackieboy

Not really that awful

Apart from two really stupid car chase chapters the other missions are fun (I do not play online)

7. 100113.1537
    Alert

Didn't the US govt invite a film director in to make a movie about the actual operation that got Bin Laden and give them access to all the operational records? Seems a bit unfair to then reprimand some of the guys who did the deal themselves for a bit advice to make a computer game....

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

But...

...the top brass didn't get a slice of the kickback. In US 'culture' that is tantamount to treason.

8. dharmaseal
    Big Brother

oswald

or uncle sam might have shot them down too

This topic is closed for new posts.