back to article Scotland Yard arrests female computer hacking suspect

Scotland Yard officers arrested a 45-year-old woman this morning over alleged breaches of privacy. The unnamed suspect is being quizzed by Operation Tuleta officers at a South London cop shop while her home is searched. She was cuffed on suspicion of conspiring to commit offences under Sections 1 and 3 of the Computer Misuse …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. h4rm0ny

It's nice to have a change from all those Reg headlines that state "male hacker arrested". Oh wait, The Reg never does actually specify gender unless they think they can get a few extra clicks by printing the word "female". So when do the Reg and the Daily Mail finally complete their merger?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"So when do the Reg and the Daily Mail finally complete their merger?"

ITYM "consumate their union". It's unclear right now, judging by the UFO/BBC "story", they've been sleeping around with The Sun a bit lately, too.

2. Crisp

Woman Arrested!

Hold the front page!

3. Chris Tierney
    Happy

Mistaken identity?

That's up there with headlines such as.

"Woman awarded OBE for her contribution to 'driving efficiently'"

"Husband finds out wife's credit card transactions were for 'very useful items'"

"Angela Merkel returns from Greek holiday to find Germany has left the Euro"

"Cops cuff woman for speeding in her tractor- she admits "trying to get home so her man wouldn't find the fridge was empty""

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

A female? With a computer? Hacking?

Your "reality", sir, is lies and balderdash, and I'm delighted to say that I have no grasp of it whatsoever

5. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

Nice of the police to take onboard this whole women in IT seriously

Nice of the police to take onboard this whole women in IT seriously, Martha Lane will be proud.

--

Paris as this is her best defence plea

1. Michael Dunn
      Happy

Re: Nice of the police to take onboard this whole women in IT seriously

Yes, well, perhaps some of them remembered a certain Grace Hopper, who "cobolled" together a language that became for some time the universal computer language of commerce, and who had previously put together the first compiler, when scoffers had told her that computers could only do arithmetic.

Incidentally her ongoing work with the US Navy took her up to the rank of Rear Admiral, and I doubt there were many lady admirals anywhere in the world at that time.

Then, of course, there was also the lovely Ada.

6. Chris Tierney
    Thumb Up

Point in case.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-20252212

1. Crisp

Re: Point in case.

She got off bloody lightly!

Someone with that level of disrespect for the law has no intention of ever driving safely!

1. Anonymous Coward
        Thumb Up

Re: Point in case.

Probably more effective than a fine though.

It's surprising how people shrug off paying a token fine but would move heaven and earth to avoid that kind of public humiliation.

I just wish we could more of this.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It's noteworthy that on one hand they refuse to prosecute BT/Vodafone and all the others for illegally intercepting and sharing communications, but individuals seem to be fair game where RIPA is concerned. This is the same law that the telecoms industry gets to ignore with impunity.

1. dephormation.org.uk
      Meh

Agree

Apparently, CPS London consider it is not in the public interest to prosecute BT/Phorm directors for exactly the same offences committed against thousands of BT customers and the web sites that serve them.

8. Dire Criti¢

Who the hell...

...thinks up those operation names?

Is there a Tolkien of the Yard?

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Bribes?

WHich oath breaking scum took it? That's all I want to kno.

10. Cliff

Rebekah Wade / Brooks is about 45, isn't she?

Perhaps the headline is an allusion

1. ScottAS2
      Unhappy

Re: Rebekah Wade / Brooks is about 45, isn't she?

Brooks is 44, more's the pity. On the bright side, she has already been arrested by Operations Weeting and Elveden.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Rebekah Wade / Brooks is about 45, isn't she?

I believe the relevant Scottish adjective you are looking for is "hacket" or "hackit" ;)

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

What's that? A lady using her tiny ladybrain to hack!

Jeffrey, fetch me my fighting trousers!

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

No offence intended, but isn't it much more likely she is really a "password guesser" which I suppose the press call "hacker", thing is, she could probably be replaced with a not-too complex script given some input of publicly available knowledge? probably cheaper to get her to do it though, couple of bowls of ready brek and a fag, no worries...

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Cracking suspect.

This is a female hacker:

http://hackaday.com/tag/jeri-ellsworth/

1. Hyphen
      Happy

Re: Cracking suspect.

I want one.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Cracking suspect.