back to article Office for Android, Apple iOS: 'REALLY REAL this time' - report

Microsoft still hasn't made any official announcements regarding when it will be debuting Office Mobile apps for Google and Apple slabs and devices, but it has been reported that versions of the software will be released in early 2013. Readers may recall that the same thing was said last month. Now The Verge's Tom Warren, …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. M Gale

Can already view Office documents, thanks all the same.

As for Office 365, that can take a run and flying jump along with Windows "we need to know your name, postcode, phone number and two valid email addresses to give you access to your own computer you bitches" 8.

1. Dr. Mouse

"we need to know your name, postcode, phone number and two valid email addresses to give you access to your own computer you bitches"

Do you need an Office 365 account to access your own computer?

I thought you only needed it to access Office 365, which is running on their computers.

1. M Gale

"Do you need an Office 365 account to access your own computer?

I thought you only needed it to access Office 365, which is running on their computers."

Windows "we need to know your name, postcode, phone number and two valid email addresses to give you access to your own computer you bitches" 8.

2. Zaphod.Beeblebrox
      Facepalm

"Windows "we need to know your name, postcode, phone number and two valid email addresses to give you access to your own computer you bitches" 8."

Have you considered <gasp> a local account? No need to get all worked up...

1. M Gale

Have you tried setting Windows 8 up?

No such option available. Or if it is, it's hidden. I'm just glad it's in a VM and I wasn't stupid enough to replace the host OS with it.

1. O RLY

It isn't the most obvious option, but it is right there on the front of the setup page.

http://www.walkernews.net/2012/08/20/how-to-setup-windows-8-to-use-local-account-and-not-microsoft-account/

1. Spearchucker Jones
            Holmes

@M Gayle

Guessing you just blindly type into text boxes without looking at what else is on the screen? The option to sign in with a local account is on the same page as the one asking for your Microsoft account.

That said, how is this different to requiring a Google/Gmail account on Android, or an Apple ID on the iPhone?

I'd say Google is a worse offender, given the recent changes to their privacy policies. In case you missed it, it allows them to collect data across their app estate (includes search and your inbox), and across users' devices.

1. M Gale

Re: @M Gayle

"Guessing you just blindly type into text boxes without looking at what else is on the screen? The option to sign in with a local account is on the same page as the one asking for your Microsoft account."

I expect set-up options to be obvious, not hidden in an Apple-apology style. This isn't Slackware Linux; it's supposed to be easy.

"That said, how is this different to requiring a Google/Gmail account on Android, or an Apple ID on the iPhone?"

Because they are toys, and I'm trying to set up a computer? Let's not forget that you don't need a Google account to use Android. You can install apps from all over the place, and the Google account is for Google services like the Play store.

Microsoft trying to turn computers into toys is half the problem. If I wanted an Xbox, I'd buy an Xbox. Happy that it's hidden away in a VM jail though. I don't think I could stand Metro for doing anything other than selecting which variant of Angry Birds I want to play, and even then I fail to see how it's better than the Frequently Used section of Win7's start menu, or attaching an icon to the desktop.

Still, at least poking around in the settings has found the Local Account options. Microsoft plainly wants to harvest a shitload of email addresses and personal details, and I trust them even less than I trust Google with that, frankly.

2. vic 4

Re: requiring a Google/Gmail account on Android

You don't. That is only required if you want to use google services like play store or adress book sync with you gmail account. True, not much mileage without one though.

2. Zaphod.Beeblebrox
          Boffin

@M Gale

"Have you tried setting Windows 8 up?"

As a matter of fact I have, several times.

"No such option available. Or if it is, it's hidden. I'm just glad it's in a VM and I wasn't stupid enough to replace the host OS with it."

I found the option easily enough - it wasn't ouitlined in blinking lights or anything, but it was plain enough to me. But then, I do this for a living so maybe I pay attention to details more than the next guy...

1. Spearchucker Jones

Re: @M Gale

Well M Gale, we agree on one thing - Google does indeed create toys.

1. M Gale

These days, so does Microsoft.

In fact, Android is looking less toy-like than Windows 8 right now, which is a bit perverse.

1. Dr. Mouse
                WTF?

Wow, 3 downvotes for asking a question?!

1. Zaphod.Beeblebrox
                  Meh

Welcome to The Register comments section, Dr. Mouse. I got 3 downvotes for the completely reasonable suggestion to use a local account instead of a Microsoft account, so 3 for asking a good question seems only fair.

1. O RLY

I got two for showing where to set up local users during first set up. I wasn't trying to be sarcastic; I thought my tone was polite.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

can't you just use word/excel/powerpoint via the skydrive service? Oh, evidently not, seems they've crippled it for iphone safari at least, but I can't see why you couldn't make it work with an android browser?

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"If Microsoft ever does applications for Linux it means I've won" : Linus Torvalds

http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/quotes/l/linustorva381582.html

1. M Gale

Re: "If Microsoft ever does applications for Linux it means I've won" : Linus Torvalds

To use an analogy (and yes, analogies are inherently shit): Android is Linux like a pizza is a motorbike.

One might be delivered with the other, but they are most certainly not the same.

1. Mikel
        Pint

Re: "If Microsoft ever does applications for Linux it means I've won" : Linus Torvalds

The kernel mods are being folded in. This is a designed Linux use case. Android is a linux.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

M Gale == Idiot.

Android is as much a Linux OS as any other Linux OS.

It might not be GNU/Linux, or provide a similar interface to 'normal' linux distributions, but that doesn't take away from its use of the Linux kernel.

Everything around the Kernel is strictly speaking, not part of Linux. When running Debian for example, the shell prompt would be part of GNU, and Linux would be a much lower level component.

1. M Gale

Re: M Gale == Idiot.

Well gee, I never knew that.

Sarcasm mode off, I know the difference between the Linux kernel and Android. It's the same difference between the Linux kernel and a JVM. One might come with the other, but they are not the same. You might as well say that a web site is a Linux because there's Linux and Apache (and, yes, the rest of the GNU stuff) under there somewhere.

Or just call me an idiot. Easy when you're hiding behind a mask.

1. Mikel

Linux is a kernel

The home for Linux is Kernel.org. It is not intended to be much more than a kernel, drivers and filesystems. The kernel is the thing that allocates resources and provides an api for apps. All the rest you see on a modern Linux system is GNU. Even the terminal window that gives you your preferred command shell.

There is nothing UN-Linux about Android. They are using it in a way it was intended to be used, though in a use case that was less popular five years ago. Today however, this has become the default use case by sheer weight of numbers. And that is a good thing for everybody except gnu.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

4. CmdrX3
    Coat

As an online Publisher, there is one thing you Excel at and that's giving us early Access to the latest tech news and getting the Word out about new developments. It's the kind of Outlook we as readers appreciate, although if there was One Note that I would like to make it's if you have the Power Point out some of the more obvious flaws in these early developments.

(See what I did there... badly) ;-)

1. Callam McMillan

With witty comments like that you could make it a Project to get onto the FrontPage!

1. Lee Dowling Silver badge

Bing. (Use that in a sentence.... Dares ya.)

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. AceRimmer

Amazing, or as Tony Soprano would say " Bada Bing!"

1. Darryl

that Works

1. Dave 126 Silver badge

>Bing. (Use that in a sentence.... Dares ya.)

"Clubbing baby seals dance poorly but with enthusiasm"... how's that?

5. Tom 35

Word for Android and iOS?

MS want to make Android and iOS tablets run slower then you can type too?

1. PaulR79
      Headmaster

Re: Word for Android and iOS?

MS Word would have told you, in a grammar check, that the word you are looking for is "than", and not "then".

1. Anonymous Coward
        Headmaster

It sadly wouldn't have corrected the "comma-itis" in your post though. Carry on.

1. PaulR79
          Unhappy

I do seem to have caught "comma-itis" but I blame it on being exposed to the internet for years. I'm surprised I still know how to spell basic words sometimes.

2. croc

Just checked in Word 2007 - and no, it doesn't catch that wee grammatical error. It did, though, suggest that you use a few less commas.

<--- Where is my tonguey-sticky-outty-thingy, eh?

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

That already happens on my iPad anyway, due to how pants the Bluetooth stack is. The same Apple keyboard is fine on my Nexus 7 or even paired with my MBP.

So, Apple with prior art again!

6. DrXym

LibreOffice may be coming too

LibreOffice is porting chunks of itself to Android. At that point we might finally get a reasonable suite which doesn't cost any money.

1. John Tserkezis

Re: LibreOffice may be coming too

What's with the drive for waiting for Microsoft to come to the party?

But even before LibreOffice for android, there is currently a handful of options to choose from right now anyway.

2. Magnus Ramage

What, like OfficeSuite Pro, which was recently available for 25p in the big Android apps sale? (OK, normally it costs more.)

1. DrXym

OfficeSuite Pro was slagged off mightily by those who bought it in that sale because despite having bought it, it then pushed people to buy further items like font packs. It was these comments that were enough to put me off buying it which is why I remember it.

I currently have Polaris 3 (preinstalled with the Asus Transformer) and it's abysmal - it doesn't even support shift+selection rendering it almost useless as a word processor.

The advantage LibreOffice would bring is it would be genuinely free, would be in a state of continual improvement (such as Mozilla, VLC and some other open source projects on Android enjoy) and there is a good engine underpinning it. I think getting the UI right would be the challenge but I think it has the best potential to compete against MS Office on RT for example.

7. Jason Hindle

Still make perfect sense to me.....

At some level, Microsoft needs to get back to being, first and foremost a full on, money grabbing software company. As such, I wouldn't expect Office for iOS or Android to come particularly cheap. I would expect it to sell very well and be hugely profitable though.

8. vic 4

2 words

Why bother? Seriously, there are a shed load of document viewers and editors. Concentrate your efforts on elsewhere!

9. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Several decent, fully featured Office suites on Android already

All read/write the office file formats, and made a VERY decent job of displaying all but the most complex of layouts, and all suitable for general office use, and all costing less than a tenner..

SO why sign up to Microsoft's subscription model????

1. IJC
      WTF?

Re: Several decent, fully featured Office suites on Android already

Because although the majority of users make use of very few office features, most of the features are actually used by someone. Power users make a lot of noise when you take away some critical feature they rely on. Besides the whole ecosystem of products around Office and the TOC makes the choice really easy for a corporate.

1. Tom 35

You think Office for (not)WindowsRT will be the same as Office for Windows feature for feature?

I guess they could cripple Office 2013 so it's the same as the RT version, just like they made Windows 8 look like a phone, but that would not go over well!

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Agreed. True that standard Word and Excel documents can be, for the most part, viewed. But...

Try a legal contract or other field-editable documents in Word (prior to PDF conversion)...iOS doesn't display properly in native or most other suites.

Excels with macro requirements (.xlsm) is a 100% no go on iOS. Won't even open for read only much less allow any editing.

Powerpoint decks consistently don't render properly or build at all.

So, for a company that has to be in the field using corporate office products, an official Office suite from Microsoft would be great. Let's just hope they don't cripple the app and strip it of the deeper values beyond read-only!

2. Ted Treen
      Facepalm

Because if you don't, a certain simian CEO might find himself with whatever is the Merkin version of a P45...

...and you wouldn't want to be responsible - even in part - for that, would you?

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"Office will work across Windows Phone, iOS and Android"

Or not, if my long, painful experience of trying to get excel docs on Windows and Macs to play nicely is anything to go by - you'd hardly believe both were produced by the same company where compatibility is concerned.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I hope no one uses it

We're just starting to see people emailing office docs as PDF attachments due to the people reading emails on their phones, it'd be nice for that to continue to where it becomes socially unacceptable to send .doc or .xls stuff except in the rare cases where you actually expect the other person to make revisions and send it on.

12. Mikel
    Windows

not gonna happen.

Office 365 maybe. Nothing else.

1. P. Lee

Re: not gonna happen.

>Office 365 maybe. Nothing else.

True.

Or will happen, but will be so crippled you'll wish it hadn't.

I'm waiting for LibreOffice to arrive on ARM - and for it to change its name to something a little more pronounceable.

My guess is that there will still be a strong push within MS to keep RT so feeble that x86 and O365 is the only feasible platforms.

That is, unless ARM desktops pick up enough oomph to run proper Office, in which case there'll be an RT-mobile (rubbish) and an ARM/x86 offering.

13. Peddler

I can create and edit Office 365 documents in Firefox for Android. It is clumsy but doable. I prefer to use Documents to Go or Quickoffice.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like