back to article Adobe spurts spackle* into Flash's gaping holes

Adobe has updated its Flash Player software ahead of schedule to head off crooks exploiting critical vulnerabilities uncovered in the product. The flaws were reported by Google's security team. The cross-platform upgrade includes new builds of Flash for Windows, Mac OS X, Linux and Android-powered smartphones. Adobe AIR on …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"Grout" might be more applicable still

given its mechanical sealing properties as opposed to largely cosmetic ones

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: "Grout" might be more applicable still

""Grout" might be more applicable still, given its mechanical sealing properties as opposed to largely cosmetic ones."

Funny, but given this is Macrobe we are talking about, I'd have argued the exact opposite - largely cosmetic, not structural.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

How about pig shit and straw, a bit more appropriate considering the product.

3. Zaphod.Beeblebrox
      Black Helicopters

It would, if it actually did more than a superficial job of it - this is Adobe we are talking about, remember.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

>As Sophos notes.....

Physician, heal thyself?

3. The FunkeyGibbon
    Facepalm

Anybody think Jobs was wrong still?

I know Apple's refusal to allow Flash on iOS was at least as much to do with protecting their walled garden as anything else but their observations that Flash was a security nightmare clearly weren't wide of the mark...

1. Steve Todd

Re: Anybody think Jobs was wrong still?

Security was one consideration, but the fact that it took Adobe 2 more years to produce a version of Flash that ran on Android at all acceptably (not well mind you) shows he was on the right idea.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Anybody think Jobs was wrong still?

That and battery life... battery life was such a concern for Jobs that the 1st gen iPhone didn't have 3G. Even on a 'desk-top replacement' PC laptop, I resent Flash's use of my CPU.

Strange, cos when I was a nipper in the early nineties, making animations on Macromedia Director was my favourite school computer activity (until we played Descent deathmatches on a suite of networked PowerPCs)

4. Infidellic_

Flash on Android 4?

" Android 4 phones should use 11.1.115.27 and Android 3 should switch to 11.1.111.24"

I thought the whole kerfuffle was that Android 4.x was going to be unsupported by Adobe. The BBC managed to wrangle and exception but I still thought it was dead?

1. exexpat

Re: Flash on Android 4?

Can't keep up with it too!

I think these are updates so only available thru google play if you have it already?

I also think you can still sideload flash?

Someone correct me if I'm wrong! (like I need to ask that here.....)

5. exexpat

On the wider issue - why have google let possibly the worst sw development company design there "media player"?

Why haven't they done there own as compared to apple/ios?

6. exexpat
    FAIL

as if by magic reloaded the page to see the comments "adobe flash plug in has crashed".....

7. mark l 2 Silver badge

Interesting to see that for both the Windows and Linux versions of flash Adobe recommends a 2.33ghz cpu or better but for MacOS it say a 1.83ghz or faster. They are also saying that flash 11.2 is the last official version for Linux.

Rather than adding new features how about they optimize the code and make it less of a resource hog

8. beep54
    Devil

Ok so really, why is flash so incredibly fucked up. I don't just mean insecure, I mean it barely works often! What the hell is up with that?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like