back to article Kim Dotcom's new Mega site barred by Gabon

The government of Gabon has thrown a wrench in internet tycoon Kim Dotcom's plans to launch a new version of his Megaupload file-sharing site by suspending his domain name registration in that country, citing intellectual property concerns. Dotcom had planned to call his new site www.me.ga, using Gabon's .ga top-level domain …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

DNS is just a choice

Anyone can run a TLD resolver, or choose who they want to resolve domains apart from the 13.

Kim has come up against the problem where he needs a huge subscriber base but needs an alternate DNS system.

1. LarsG

He just needs to pay a bigger bribe.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Really, a bribe ?

And funding lobbies in Western countries so that they can have their ways is ethical isn't it ?

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Ooh! Some behind-the-scenes pressure. Dotcom now needs to find a TLD who's administrators aren't complete pussies or -alternatively- a memorable IP address.

1. DAN*tastik
      Headmaster

Typo in comment

"a TLD who's administrators" should be "a TLD whose administrators"...

"a TLD who is administrators" doesn't mean anything, so the correct spelling is "whose".

Bedtime now.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Typo in comment

Apologies for any offence my unworthy arrangement of letters may have caused to the susceptible. I saw it after I hit the 'submit' button and had a hearty "Oh fuck it!" moment but...no edit.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

oh.fuck.it?

I think that is already taken.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Re: oh.fuck.it?

fuck.eu would be quite good too. Taken, alas.

2. Anonymous Coward
            Thumb Up

The .it admins do have a sense of humour though. They allowed fuckw.it and likewise the .at admins allowed arseh.at

1. Hieronymus Howerd

Many years ago you used to be able to hire a @fuck.it email address for a few quid a month. The site had a little animated alien that swore at you. Fun times.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

That would be like him.

However, I suspect he needs fast-flux dns, not a fixed ip.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

IPs can still be blocked.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

RE: IPs can still be blocked.

O'realy?

3. stuartnz

TANSTAAFL, AKA Quids pro quo

"Hi Gabon, it's your old mate Uncle Sam here. You know how you're always saying how grateful you are for our aid dollars and how you wish there was something you could in return? Well guess what, it's your lucky day!"

1. Psyx
      Stop

Re: TANSTAAFL, AKA Quids pro quo

"Hi Gabon, it's your old mate Uncle Sam here. You know how you're always saying how grateful you are for our aid dollars and how you wish there was something you could in return? Well guess what, it's your lucky day!"

I... actually... strangely... (dare I say it)... don't really see much wrong with that scenario. Given the choice of maintaining good US relations or getting into bed with a fat German guy who is only going to cause trouble down the line, I know which path I'd take*. Heck: The US has probably been good to Gabon, and Dotcom probably couldn't point it out on a map until he found out he could maybe thumb his nose at the US by basing a business there. Why should Gabon really want to help Kim do that?

* Literally and figuratively!

1. Irongut

I'd chose a fat German over a morbidly obese Yank any day.

2. Ru

"maybe thumb his nose at the US by basing a business there"

Oh come on. He saw a nifty domain name, and registered it. There's no more complex motive than that. This simply acts as a timely reminder that ccTLDs come with all sorts of strings attached.

1. Psyx
          Stop

"Oh come on. He saw a nifty domain name, and registered it. There's no more complex motive than that."

That's amazingly naive.

If it's so simple, why didn't he register in Andorra and keep the original name? Oh wait... maybe because Andorra is in Europe.

3. stuartnz
        Thumb Up

I agree - this was clearly an example of the US getting some ROI, and Dotcom is a self-appointed Robin Hood. His antics are amusing, especially when they show up the venal nature of our local politicos, but he's no injured saint, that's for sure. The only slightly troubling thing about the US leaning on Gabon like this is that it was not down out of perceived concern for US national interests, but at the behest of big media.

1. stuartnz

I wish there was an edit option

That way my coffee-deprived brain could have corrected "down" and replaced it with "done".

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

But what will Eritrea think...

about the alternates, los.er and hos.er?

5. DAN*tastik
    Happy

*... a hearty "Oh fuck it!" moment but...no edit.*

Thanks for not mentioning the following "Oh fuck you!" moment :)

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I try to be gracious in defeat. That means I can be smug with a clear conscience when I'm winning :).

1. DAN*tastik

I follow the same philosophy... And there's been quite a few defeats in my life!

Tiredness and small screen of my phone made me create a new post instead of replying to your original one - no edit button here either

6. John Tserkezis

"Gabon cannot serve as a platform or screen for committing acts aimed at violating copyrights, nor be used by unscrupulous people," the minister reportedly said.

About 80% of Gabon's export is oil <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Economy_of_Gabon>,

And since no-one involved in oil can possibly be called "unscrupulous people", Gabon has every right to refuse Dotcom's new site. Cough.

1. jonfr
      Black Helicopters

Afraid...

They are in fact just afraid of the U.S influence. As the largest oil companies in Gabon are from U.S. As can be seen here.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10000872396390443931404577548971571714232.html

1. mark 63 Silver badge

Re: Afraid...

Any country who exports oil clearly dosent have much to worry about.

Except possibly being invaded by ther U.S if they stop , or raise the price, or sell to someone else.

1. Graham Dawson Silver badge

That must be why the US is occupying Mecca and bombing the rest of the arabian peninsula into the dirt right now.

1. Psyx
            WTF?

"That must be why the US is occupying Mecca and bombing the rest of the arabian peninsula into the dirt right now."

WTF are you even on about?

1. Danny 14
              Pint

Didnt Mecca used to run bingo halls? Is that what happened to them?

Didnt know that.

1. Anonymous Coward
                Anonymous Coward

"Didnt Mecca used to run bingo halls?"

I must admit I have wondered how much that might wind up the our muslims brothers, given the name of their holy city being used on gambling halls of all things?!

2. This post has been deleted by its author

7. sueme2
    Happy

where will he go what will he do

He is certain to come up with a fitting rejoiner. This man is a big pool of talent.

1. Hieronymus Howerd
      Headmaster

Re: where will he go what will he do

The word is "rejoinder".

8. sueme2
    Childcatcher

beep beep

have you looked at me.ga ?????????? shite happened

9. caffeinewriter

Up For Me

It appears to be up for me, but maybe it just hasn't filtered down to my DNS servers yet. Or maybe Gabon finally decided "You know what, f**k you United States of A**hole media corporations, we actually like Kim Dotcom."

Probably not, but still, it'd be nice.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

So sad

It's only going to get worse for Doty.

11. JaitcH
    WTF?

USA's Hilary Clinton to Gabon: "Your grant cheque is in the mail"

If CNN's projection, just announced as I write this, there is another 4 years and 7 weeks in which the Obama government can authorise cheques can be sent.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Should use a .uk

He should use a .uk domain, even with the US bending the UKs arm, the UK at least follows rules and regulations and wouldn't be so fast to suspend a domain without a legit reason.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Should use a .uk

time to cybersquat the likely domains? - Kim's a generous guy right and not a fan of authority, I'm sure he'd cheerfully pay a handful of tenners rather than bother with the nominet dispute resolution procedures.

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Would anyone else be surprised if Kim Dotcom had an unfortunate accident - maybe he'll be in a small plane with Julian Assange which goes mysteriously missing? Just saying - not smart to mess with the US Gov.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"not smart to mess with the US Gov."

But what can you do, when usgov is paid to mess with you?

14. David 45

Nobbled at the starting post?

Sounds like they've been got at by the USA!

15. Steven Roper
    Flame

Gabon cannot serve as a platform ... used by unscrupulous people

Is that so? Then perhaps, Mr. Bendover Minister, you can explain that to the hordes of 419-scamming scum operating out of your tinpot third-world country and "unscrupulously" ripping off thousands of innocent pensioners. Or is it simply that the dicks of poor pensioners can't penetrate your posterior orifice quite as deeply as Uncle Sam's can?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

No.. really?

Wrong country mate. Can't remember getting a 419 in French... which BTW is Gabon's main language.

16. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

http://me.ga

Seems to point to some 'Onymous' twitter feed now....?!

17. mark 63 Silver badge

I dont think any nation refusing to be a platform for piracy has necassarily been "got at "

1. David 45

Proof?

Where's your 100%, cast-iron proof of this? Show us. You obviously have some record we've not seen of due process through the courts and you are presumably not assuming this through an illegal (allegedly) and totally OTT, heavy-handed armed raid on Dotcoms' home? If so, the presumption of innocent unless proven guilty has gone right out of the window. (That's probably the case with the USA government, anyway, judging by recent events). It's obvious America has had a hand in this and is still trying to impose their laws on non-USA citizens (take the Richard O'Dwyer case in the UK) and influence other countries. Sheer coincidence, also, that the .ga top level domain is administered by Gabon Telecom, which just so happens to be a wholly owned subsidiary of Vivendi... the same company who owns the world's largest music label, Universal Music.

18. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

He ought to STFU

Hey Dotcom, third-world calling here. I' from Africa and don't really see why we should take sh*t over controversial material. Yo ought to just STFU and place your servers in the U.S. (if you believe your material is legit...) I bet you'll find plenty of lawyers to support your cause.

1. Psyx
      Thumb Up

Re: He ought to STFU

"(if you believe your material is legit...)"

Very valid point.

Kim is making a big deal about claiming how legitimate his new site is... so why exactly base it in a third world nation with questionable copyright laws and no extradition arrangements?

1. Danny 14

Africa is a big place and certainly bigger than nigeria. Plus Gabons president in Ali Ben Bongo which is a great name.

1. Hieronymus Howerd

Almost, not quite.

Still, top marks to Gabon for politician names, as you say.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"Kim is making a big deal about claiming how legitimate his new site is... so why exactly base it in a third world nation with questionable copyright laws and no extradition arrangements?"

Even though I have disliked Herr Dotcom since his "Kimble" days, he has a point. Even if you were entirely legit on paper, anything within reach of America is in danger of extra-judicial buttsecks, if it annoys the wrong people.

3. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"Kim is making a big deal about claiming how legitimate his new site is... so why exactly base it in a third world nation with questionable copyright laws and no extradition arrangements?"

...because the TLD is 'ga' which is the second half of 'me.ga'. Obvious. To a slow-learning gibbon with Alzheimer's.

19. Sam Liddicott

New DNS root, resolvers

I guess he could run the DNS resolvers too.

I guess it would be quite popular among his customers.

It would make it hard for the USA to nab domains served by his resolver.

20. elderlybloke
    Happy

Lots of us Love Kim

Down here in NZ , our Politicians were shown up be licking the arse of the Americans when they raided Dotcom's home.

The FBI were among the gun toting (assault rifles) coppers ,SIS ,SAS etc. etc.

The affair which the Courts have ruled as illegal ,has shown how our Politicians were pawns of America.

This armed raid was to arrest an alleged criminal whose alleged crime was operating a File Share Website.

The whole thing is a P.R. disaster for the Politicians,and has given much joy to us citizens who know what they are like.

It is know he has had convictions for relatively minor crimes and he has done his time for those.

He is a smart cookie and he will have learned to be even more law abiding than Bankers and Financiers.

This topic is closed for new posts.