back to article Mystery robot-bringing UFOs sighted by Indian troops on Tibet border

Mysterious UFOs have returned to a remote region on the Tibetan border, according to sightings by Indian troops stationed in the area. The UFOs, which have been reported for years, are said to have included a strange "robot like" figure seen by Indian scientists in 2004 walking along a mountain valley - which then "rapidly …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Tom 7

Himalayan range...

that would be quite high up where anoxia can mess with your brain just a little bit... or perhaps some local food additive may have helped.

Good photos before you waste too much time on this one...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Himalayan range...

The stumbles, fumbles, mumbles and grumbles...

Andes: Coco leaves, lessen the above symptoms

Himalayas: Cannabis Indica

Appalachians: Moonshine liquor

2. tmTM

I'll have

Whatever they've been drinking.

3. The Man Who Fell To Earth Silver badge
      FAIL

"Good photos before you waste too much time on this one..."

You'd think, especially in this day & age of digital cameras and every cell phone having one in it, there would be some photos of my brethren.

4. Euripides Pants

Or maybe it was the Space Coke from "Cheech and Chong's Next Movie"

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0080520/

2. Miek

"They filmed a four-foot tall 'robot-like' figure, that 'walked' along the valley, 50 m away from them. The humanoid object then rapidly became airborne and disappeared." -- Pictures or it didn't happen ....

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Here's your pics

A 'strange "robot like" figure' that can become airborne and fly away? I think this explains it:

http://www.sluggy.com/comics/archives/daily/110113

2. Lee Dowling Silver badge

Yeah, I agree.

Sorry, but if you filmed it and it was vaguely convincing, you could have had it on the news the next night, governmental approval or not.

And if you filmed it but it wasn't convincing, lots of people will laugh at you (have you SEEN the resolution and zoom of a cheapy digital video camera nowadays? It's unbelievable! But you "couldn't zoom in" and we're left staring at a couple of blurry pixels of actual data which could be anything from lens-flare to a insect on the lens?)

And if you didn't film it, well we have to take you on your word and there's a lot of (even highly qualified) nutters around. A straw poll of even a table full of doctors and scientists will find 50% of them have seen something they couldn't explain (e.g. ghosts, ufo's etc.). You'll even find a small percentage who are certain it was a <insert supernatural explanation here>, despite all their training and expertise.

Film, or it didn't happen.

And high-quality, focused, blur-free, still film with proper focus on that amazing object that you couldn't believe was there. Because I fail to believe that if I was seeing a UFO or similar, I wouldn't zoom in and get as much detail from the damn thing as I can in order for ME to tell what it was myself.

It's like claiming that someone at a football match wouldn't use the pair of binoculars in their hand to see if it was a goal at the other end of not at the most exciting, critical part of the FA cup. Of course they would, if they had them to hand. They wouldn't peer through them at zero-zoom so the point of interest is some blurry half-a-dozen pixel affair, they'd be trying to check what they were seeing as clearly as possible.

1. Chemist

"high-quality, focused, blur-free, still film..."

Oddly enough there was a news report recently ( sorry, can't just remember where ) about UFO societies being disbanded due to lack of evidence - one spokesman being quoted as saying something like "with everyone having cameras these days and yet no clear images..."

2. JaffaMan

@ Lee Dowling

"Film, or it didn't happen.

And high-quality, focused, blur-free, still film with proper focus on that amazing object that you couldn't believe was there. Because I fail to believe that if I was seeing a UFO or similar, I wouldn't zoom in and get as much detail from the damn thing as I can in order for ME to tell what it was myself."

I could not agree more! Considering the aleged frequency of these events across the world I'm astonished in this day and age with the proliferation of camera phones, video cameras, CCTV, DSLRs etc that not one person has manage a coherent, stable, clear, focused video.

Like Lee said, if it were me filming it I'd like to think i'd be able to get focused zoomed and wide angle shots, with something in for scale, time of day etc and if I were videoing it be able to give a verbal description of what I could see and what settings, zoom length etc I was using.

I want to believe I really do, but you've got to question why this hasn't been accomplished yet!

Pics/vids or STFU.

1. Steven Roper
          Stop

@ Lee Dowling, Jaffa Man and others

In regard to the lack of low-blur, high-res zoomed-in images of UFOs:

Guys, I'm as skeptical about UFOs as anyone, but - have you guys ever actually tried focusing a mobile phone or pocket camera on a small flying object at a distance with enough precision to meet this requirement? Especially at a zoom level high enough to positively identify it. It's damn near impossible for anyone who isn't a professional photographer. Maybe a Hollywood-qualified cameraman with a studio-grade dolly camera could pull it off, but your average joe or jill with a mobile phone has Buckley's chance.

A few years ago, my brother and I bought a pair of those cheap RC helicopters that have been coming out of China of late. We flew them in a nearby park on a clear, sunny day with only a light breeze, and I attempted to film them using a $500 7 MP pocket camera with 5X optical zoom lens mounted on a tripod. My brother flew his helicopter, and I tried to film it.

Despite knowing exactly where the helicopter was and what direction it was moving in I could not capture anything other than a shaky pixelated blur even at full zoom - when I was actually able to track or frame the helicopter at all. Even the slight wind added enough random motion to the thing that it was impossible to track it with any real degree of accuracy. And I was using a tripod, remember. Filming an erratically moving distant object at high zoom is an extremely difficult endeavour at best. How much harder is it for someone with a hand held mobile phone trying to film a flying object whose size, trajectory and location isn't even known or predictable, at the same time as they might be freaking out going "WTF is that thing?"

Try it yourselves - have a go at filming passing birds or low-flying planes and see how good your footage is, and how well you can track them. It's not easy, as you'll find out if you give it a go.

If I ever saw clean, sharp, perfectly-tracked zoomed-in footage of a UFO I would call fake for precisely this reason. I'm more likely to give credence to a blurry, shaky video just because that's what anyone trying to film a 'real' UFO zipping about the sky would get.

3. Mark123
      Thumb Up

There's only one explanation

I am dwarf Iron Man!

1. Thorne

Re: There's only one explanation

It's like a rerun of "Superhero Squad"

3. NomNomNom

quick send the skyranger

4. frank ly

Wet blanket time:

The Tibetan statue was _not_ of extraterrestrial origin. The material it was made from was.

1. ukgnome
      Alien

Re: Wet blanket time:

That's what they want you to think!

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
        Trollface

Well it's definitely not what El Reg wants you to think.

But as long as we don't veer into "flu vaccine just a trick by New World Order to forcefully reduce population count" I'm ok with this.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

But as long as we don't veer into "flu vaccine is a non-contaminated, effective preventative measure that never causes severe flu immedietly after use or disease 20 years later" I'm ok with this.

Childcatcher

Do we have antivaxers here tonight?

5. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
    Black Helicopters

Gundams!?

Clearly, a Japanese Space Nazi invasion of the Asian Mainland is scheduled! Softening up by Hurricanes has already begun - though targeting is clearly weak. Sieg Zeon, then.

"50 m away from them."

Damn those bashful scientists. Why not approach for a snatch & grab?

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Gundams!?

Actually there is very little stopping a hobbyist making a working Gundam. Well, it would have a much shorter rang (fuel) and be hard to fly (aerodynamics). But you could tape some jet engines to a Robot One frame easily.

6. ratfox
    FAIL

Huh??

"not manned or unmanned aircraft"… What does that mean? It flies but it is not an aircraft? An aircraft is then defined as being "something that can be picked up on a radar"? Which means a balloon is not an aircraft, then? What about stealth jets?

Also, they dispatched a scientific expedition which sighted the UFOs. What about pictures?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Huh??

"not manned or unmanned aircraft"… ie. something other than man...

1. Ron 6
        Alien

Re: Huh??

Huh? Isn't the intersection of the sets "manned" with "unmanned" aircraft the NULL set? (For non-biological flyers, ie birds, bats, etc., which wouldn't be "aircraft" anyway.)

7. Crisp
    Big Brother

It's a weather balloon.

It's always a weather balloon.

1. Tank boy
      Black Helicopters

Re: It's a weather balloon.

That's what they want you to think. Keep an eye to the sky...

2. NomNomNom

don't be fooled, the aliens realized if they designed their ships to look like weather balloons no-one would notice. they also use designs of 747s and clouds.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Oblig.

2. Steve Knox
        Alien

@NomNomNom -- I believe you'll find they use the Douglas DC-8 design, rather than the Boeing 747

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xenu

8. M7S
    Terminator

Dr. Totenkopf is back

Calling Sky Captain! Come in Sky Captain!

That's the problem with education these days. No-one remembers the classics.

/irony

Icon, well for both the giant ones and (spolier alert) the hot asian babe.

9. Adze
    Holmes

"...lasted 40 minutes."

I can almost hear it...

"Hey do you think we should take some pictures of this thing?"

"Nah... we're scientists, they're bound to believe us! Just have another toke on this, it helps with anoxia apparently"

10. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

Hmmm...

If anyone knows what the local "beverage" is, would they kindly let me know, I want to try some!

1. RainForestGuppy

Re: Hmmm...

The local Jammu and Kashmiri Rum is fairly lethal.

11. John Savard

It's About Time!

Given the brutal repression from which Tibet is suffering, if there were Lamas there with incredible supernatural powers, who also were in regular communication with our Space Brothers, that there would have been an army of flying saucers arriving to put paid to the Chinese occupation long ago.

Devil

We come in peace --- comrade!

Except if our Space Brothers were actually Space Communists ideologically inspired by Space Hegel and an Angry Galacto-Marx!

That would crap all over American Exceptionalism, too.

12. John Savard

Gootan

According to YouTube, these UFOs are from the planet Gootan. But an Indian minister is confident that India can "contain this threat from an alien culture", which is good news; next thing you know, India will also be able to repulse Coca-Cola, McDonalds, and Hollywood on the one hand, and anime and manga on the other.

What is the Gootan equivalent of Gangnam Style anyhow?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Gootan

This could be another wave of the invasion from Kolob. They've in the US for quite a while.

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Perhaps it is what advanced alien civilisations sometimes call an "aeroplane"

14. Marcelo Rodrigues
    Joke

Run! The empire probe found us! Send everybody to the transport ships!

15. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Not Necessarily from Outer Space....

If these objects are real, could they be linked to the US? Don't forget the US Army are bringing robots into operation that can transport heavy loads long distances (BigDog)- basically robotic mules. They already have drones. It's not beyond the imagination they might have some kind of reconnaissance android that can fly.

16. peyton?
    Happy

Flying robots? Ladakh?

Definitely sounds like an Indian rendering of Laputa to me.

17. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Kind of reminds me of this.

18. John Savard

That part of the world

Never mind the planet Gootan, aliens around there are probably the dreaded Mi-Go!

19. despairing citizen
    Happy

Very terresital answer is.....

China

spy planes, UAV's ect.

If the indian squady does not know what the flying vehicle is (because china has kept it's mil/spy tech secret), by definition it is an Unidentified Flying Object.

As for taking photos and film footage, I'm sure their are a lot of people who will pay well to make it disappear.

20. mIRCat
    Black Helicopters

Hollywoods next big sequel

"a four-foot tall 'robot-like' figure, that 'walked' along the valley, 50 m away from them. The humanoid object then rapidly became airborne and disappeared."

Slumdog Ironman, anyone?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Paris Hilton

Re: Hollywoods next big sequel

No doubt now that Disney owns Marvel they are dumbing Ironman down as a series for the kiddies--so they are secretly testing the "Ironboy" suit for the young Tony Stark to use in his youthful adventures. The pilot shows how young Tony saves a Himalayan village from the Abominable Snowman and just manages to get home in time to get his book report done.

You have to admit it's at least as plausible as the other possibliites put forward here.

Paris--because she's making a comeback as young Tony's publicly spirited school teacher, who unwittingly inspires him to a life of tween heroics......

Holmes

Re: Hollywoods next big sequel

Ironman needs dumbing down?

21. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

My Theory?

Probably balloon transported ground reconnaissance drones?

Drop one into a territory you wish to spy out, then send it back with a quick inflating balloon? Radar proof of cause.

Kind of like a light weight version of Petman, but with a quick escape?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AM8A0GrYmFU&feature=share&list=UU7vVhkEfw4nOGp8TyDk7RcQ

Can already buy toy versions of the above. :P

22. Arachnoid

Maybe the monks have a living god who strides round the mountains at night before flying off into the heavens

23. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I had a dream about....

Chinese lanterns attached to balloons. Happens all the time guys. But could have been the aliens doing a cheap imitation of chinese balloons. Learning their trade.

Wake up and find something useful to do!

24. TheProf
    Facepalm

Fox Mulder

never had a camera on him either.

What is it with these people?

25. rakeshkapila

rakeshkapila

It seems to be an inflatable plastic balloon, with a highly reflective surface, which can be deflated by the use of a pin or an opening valve remotely. It could also be programmed to set it self on fire at low altitudes as it drops in height through an act of self deflation or an implosion. I guess a laser beam can be used to set it on fire or destroy it remotely. It may also be a remote position marker for the chinese satellites based imaging which are stationed above or are passing through the Hymalyan region to support their onging intelligence activity on India China border. See the official five letter acronym officially accepted by the Chinese defence for any of their 21st century combat zones. It explains it all. We as Indians believe in divine and celestial interactions more than combat readiness in the war zones. Please send the DRDO experts to these regions to fly away, as these so called experts, with pensionable and other benefits apart from their high salaries do nothing productive in their labs. They have not yet delivered a basic tank for the Indian army on which they have been working for last 40 years. To catch up with this air borne UFO they might take 140 years and after which we shall not need them as China would have occupied it all. It s a typical case of a complete failure of Civilian Leadership in India. Jai Bharat Mata Jai Sonia Mata, Jai Rahul Hanuman, Jai Bam Bam Bole Man Mohan Bhagwan, Jai Moorakh Sarkar !

26. Gordon Pryra

THis was the best selling phone in 2004

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Nokia_6230_Black.jpg

The Nokia 6230, no video on that.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like