back to article Martian atmosphere pristine, totally free of fart gas, reports Curiosity

Mars rover Curiosity has taken a whiff of the wind at Rocknest in the Gale Crater - but the Red Planet hasn't been passing the gas the nuclear-powered tank is looking for. Jersey cow A common or garden Earth-based methane-producing machine The rover's Sample Analysis at Mars (SAM) instruments have been sniffing for methane …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
    Paris Hilton

Is there something in the coffee?

How the hell do they manage to be excited searching for something?

1. Norman Hartnell

Re: Is there something in the coffee?

Because it is an indicator there might be alien life there. Isn't that exciting?

1. NomNomNom

in the coffee? admittedly no-one has checked the coffee, but I find it unlikely

1. Anonymous Coward
          Happy

Leave the cup for a few days and see :-)

2. Euripides Pants
        Alien

@ Norman Hartnell

I have to agree with Destroy All Monsters, searching for fart gas is not exciting. Driving a speedboat off the barn roof, now that's Exciting!

1. Captain DaFt

Re: @ Norman Hartnell

"Driving a speedboat off the barn roof"

Youtube link, or it didn't happen!

1. Euripides Pants

Re: @ Norman Hartnell

Camera broke in the crash....

2. Some Beggar

Some people enjoy life. You should try it one day before you die.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: How the hell do they manage to be excited searching for something?

Because they're searching on *Mars* using *nuclear-powered* & *laser-armed* space tank.

4. Beau
      Unhappy

Life on Mars?

Well, possibly.

Life in the coffee we get?

Not a bats chance in hell!

1. Field Marshal Von Krakenfart
        Joke

Life on Mars?

Well, possibly.

There maybe some life on Mars but not before 8PM on a Saturday night and even then it's BYOB, however I have heard that the place is lacking any sort of atmosphere.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

So...

What components did Curiosity find in the atmosphere? Kinda missing out on the fact that this measurements also showed that the Martian atmosphere is approx. 95% carbon dioxide. Sure; we already "knew" (assumed" is a better term IMO) but now we're sure.

I'm also missing mentioning of the fact that boffins have compared the analysis results with measurements made on meteorites which contained "air bubbles". The current findings confirmed that those rocks were indeed from Mars as people have assumed so far.

Still, I think this is a really impressive achievement. Esp. the fact that they setup Curiosity so that it can measure so many things using the same hardware.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Meh

I think some people

- not least the author - or whoever thought a picture of a cow was appropriate - - are confusing the meaning of 'precursor' with 'indicator'...

1. FunkyEric

Re: I think some people

But it is a particularly fine looking cow though, isn't it?

1. Lars Silver badge
        Pint

Re: I think some people

Elephants are much more productive though. Fart power to move a small car some 50 miles a day according to some TV program.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Childcatcher

Re: Fine looking cow

On the contrary, I find something decidedly machiavellian about that derisory raised eyebrow expression.

1. Tom Maddox Silver badge
          Coat

Re: Fine looking cow

Macowvellian, surely?

4. Nigel Brown
    Alien

The chances of anything coming from Mars...........

The presence of methane is surely dependant upon the emissions of carbon-based life forms (and I dont wish to sound like Douglas Adams at this point), so is there any cosmic law that says life HAS to be carbon-based and not, for example, silicon?

I am neither a chemist or a physicist so I would welcome being enlightened on this.

1. Disintegrationnotallowed

Re: The chances of anything coming from Mars...........

Life as we know it would be carbon based, although some theories suggest Silicon as an alternative, this would seem unlikely as Silicon is significantly larger and therefore unlikely to form the same level of strands (i.e DNA).

If we assume carbon based lifeforms but different methods of chemical processes then we still end up producing methane, this is because methane is the most basic compound of carbon, and would be expected to be produced as a biproduct of any process (either direct, as in breathing, or indirect as in decaying of organisms).

2. Anonymous Coward
      Facepalm

To make the same point, again, the methane is assumed to have got there first.

3. asdf

Not sure if missing the irony or something but Uranus (with a minimum temperature of 49 K (−224 °C) seems to me proof enough you don't necessarily need life to get methane. From the arguments given though it sounds like if life is around you will get methane.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Well, if Uranus is anything like mine, then we're talking about copious quantities of methane that are definitely associated with primitive life, regardless off ambient temperature.

2. asdf
        Facepalm

Should have used Neptune instead as I knew the Klingons near Uranus joke was a coming.

5. cutridge

Who let one?

Yeah, ok, just blame it on the cow.

6. cutridge

Yeah, ok, blame it on the cow.

7. Matt Bryant Silver badge
    Devil

My life now has a purpose!

That's it! My life's goal is now to be listed in the Guiness Book of Records as the First Man to Fart on Mars! Who do you think kids of the future will remember longer, Usain Bolt or The First Man To Fart On Mars?

1. Steven Roper
      Coat

Re: My life now has a purpose!

As to who the kids of the future will remember, was Neil Armstrong the first man to fart on the moon, or was it "Buzz" Aldrin - thus earning the latter his nickname?

8. Steve T

Humans fart hydrogen.

1. Sorry that handle is already taken. Silver badge

Actually

Humans fart all sorts of nonsense.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Possibly borked?

The methane detector gave a zero result for methane. Two possibilities:

1. There's no methane to be found.

2. The methane detector isn't working.

This topic is closed for new posts.