back to article iPhone 5 unlocked US prices placed on Apple website by accident

A unlocked iPhone 5 will cost $649 in America, according to listings popping up on Apple's own website which seem to have made it on there by accident. There are no official results for unlocked iPhone 5s on Apple's site, but a search for "unlocked iPhone 5" reveals a list of prices for the handset, as spotted by Apple Insider …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Piro Silver badge

Pricing

"$649 for the cheapest iPhone, $749 for the 32GB model, and $849 for 64GB."

Also known as "Too expensive; what, $100 for 16GB of NAND?; but now you only want $100 for 32GB of NAND?"

Hateful. Give me a goddamn microSD slot any day.

1. Andrew Lobban

Re: Pricing

If you buy the 64GB version in the UK, you are paying £180 or ~$288 for 48 GB of RAM, £50 between the 16, 32 and 64 GB versions is more than enough difference considering the very small additional component cost. Surely this pricing model can't last.

1. DrXym

The pricing model will last as long as there are people stupid enough to fall for it.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Never underestimate the purchasing power of brainwashed Apple zombies.

3. stanimir

you are paying £180 or ~$288 for 48 GB of RAM

Although technically responds to the RAM (i.e. random access), it's order of magnitude slower than real 'RAM'. Still the pricing is a joke, but fool and his money...

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Pretty sure built in flash will be faster and more reliable. Handling the varying brands of SD cards with their varying timings and quality is quite a feat. Not to mention ebay SD card fakes.

If you stick a crap SD card in the phone and it crashes resulting in loss of your data I reckon you're going to be pissed off at Apple when it's not really their fault is it?

1. Piro Silver badge

But what happens if you drop your phone in the drink? You can't pull the SD card out to retrieve the files, which is far more likely a scenario than some mythical "phone destroying SD card".

3. Anal Leakage

Like the Nexus 4?

1. Piro Silver badge

I wouldn't buy a Nexus 4 either, because of this.

I wasn't endorsing a particular alternative product, but merely pointing out the stupidity of the pricing.

2. Gashead

Or $299 for a Nexus 4 unlocked

It's an expensive business being a fanboi, maybe this explains why free wifi is slurped by such a high proportion of iMac users.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Or $299 for a Nexus 4 unlocked

Ah yes, the wonderful Nexus 4 with the storage capacity of a £15 USB stick.

1. Steve Todd

Don't forget the Nexus 4's high speed LTE radio ... oops.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

"Don't forget the Nexus 4's high speed LTE radio ... oops."

For most of the world, an LTE radio = pointless battery drain since like here in the UK, there's about 10 places it can be used. If you're not in one of those places, it's just another radio wasting battery scanning for the network. I'd rather no LTE and a longer battery life.

Not to mention if demand crops up, I'm sure an LTE N4 will be made available, just like a CDMA Galaxy Nexus was. This is really no different to Apple not adopting NFC yet because they don't think it's ready. LTE isn't worth it yet either in most places.

1. Steve Todd
            Stop

1) They're pretty darn big places, and that number will increase rapidly over the next 2 years (which is how long most people's contracts last)

2) Battery drain is no worse than 3G (and sometimes better)

3) 38MB/sec download, 27MB/sec up, those are real world numbers I've got in doors in an area where 3G is highly over subscribed.

1. DrXym

Lack of memory expansion puts me off the Nexus 4 but on the flipside it is a reasonably priced phone for the specs. The lack of LTE really is not a big deal. The iPhone 5 is a single band device and the only LTE service in the UK is an expensive joke. By the time LTE matures and gets cheaper there'll be better phones that might justify actually using it.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

How quaint. Having local storage. But then seeing how dire iCloud is, it's not surprising that Apple owners are ignoring it...

3. DrXym

$649-849

How do they keep their prices so low and still make a profit?

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Plus tax of course.,

The UK and Euro prices of course are inclusive.,..

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Plus tax of course.,

I assume you mean VAT - the bulk of which is claimed back by Apple.

5. JaitcH
    WTF?

In China only around USD$5 per unlock

through an authorised cell carrier via iTunes.

6. Saucerhead Tharpe
    Devil

Nothing about Apple losing their suit against Motorola with prejudice?

I would have thought El Reg would have been all over this, another case where Apple has shown contempt for the legal process

1. ratfox
      1. Saucerhead Tharpe
        Thumb Up

Thanks Ratfox!

I had looked for it and missed it. Old age and crap vision getting to me!

7. url
    Trollface

if it's exclusive to the US

shouldn't you use "on accident"

apologies, i know it hurts to read, but it's a bug bear.

8. Mark Eccleston

Unlocked in Canada

In Canada you can but them online or at the local apple store unlocked http://store.apple.com/ca/browse/home/shop_iphone/family/iphone5

$699 CAD for the 16 GB model

9. etabeta
    Thumb Down

Overpriced

Overpriced phone, extortion priced NAND: they can keep them

10. This post has been deleted by its author

11. Dana W
    Happy

This means when I upgrade, my old 4S will get me enough money for my new contact phone with no out of pocket! k-ching!

This topic is closed for new posts.