back to article Bonfire Night sets internet AFLAME: Anons claim PayPal, Symantec

Anonymous claims to have leaked 28,000 passwords from PayPal as part of a a global day of protest to mark 5 November, Guy Fawkes night. Hacktivists uploaded thousands of email addresses, names, and passwords - supposedly snaffled from the payment processing firms systems, TheNextWeb reports. A PayPal representative said it has …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. solidsoup
    Happy

"ineffective bloatware"

Sums it up quite nicely.

2. Matt Bryant Silver badge
    FAIL

Claims simply not believable again.

If they had penetrated PayPal they would have a lot more that 28,000 addresses. More likely they are fakes made from scraping websites for email addresses. And as for Symantec, considering it was being unsuccessfully attacked for years by the brightest minds the Russian mafia could afford to hire, to accept that the skiddies have succeeded where the real black hats failed is really asking too much. As with all the recent Anonyputz efforts, this is just more hot-air to try and make themselves look relevant.

1. solidsoup

Re: Claims simply not believable again.

Really?

What about Symantec getting hacked and losing their source code?

1. Matt Bryant Silver badge
        FAIL

Re: Re: Claims simply not believable again.

".....What about Symantec getting hacked and losing their source code?" You mean earlier this year when the Anons cliamed they had "hacked Symantec" and then only released source code from 2006 products? Products that were mostly out of use? Yeah, really threatening - not! And IIRC, part of the blame for that "hack" was a third-party Indian partner company's lax security.

3. This post has been deleted by its author

4. This post has been deleted by its author

5. Gav

Relevant to what?

Anonymous "members" do not care about being "relevant". They care about being awesome hackers with respect from their peers on the forum boards. Being "relevant" suggests a higher level of motivation and long-term purpose that simply isn't there.

1. MIc
      Thumb Up

Re: Relevant to what?

yup...

an up vote for you sir.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

But...

What are they protesting about, I don't get it.

Also, do they realise that Guy Fawkes was a religious extremist, terrorist who wanted to blow up the British parliament in order that what he believed to be the true religion could be practiced and (probably) enforced.

And as an aside: You have to have a job, if you're wanting to go on strike, I strongly suspect anyone turning up to the "protest" won't have one...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: But...

The government seizing overbearing powers under the guise of child protection and anti-terrorist paranoia perhaps? The mask from the film V for Vendetta, not guy fawkes directly.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

The point is that if I don't know what they're protesting about and you seem to be having a guess (albeit, I suspect probably fairly accurate) it's not a very good protest is it?

As for the Graphic Novel/Film of V for Vendetta, it's still a someone who is modeling himself on Guy Fawkes and a character who does some seriously questionable stuff, in order to achieve his ends. This tends to be a big point in Alan Moore's work, which seems to be missed by many, in V for Vendetta. V is not a simple freedom fighter he is a much more complicated and contradictory character.

2. Brewster's Angle Grinder Silver badge

See, I wanted to upvote you for the first two paragraphs. But then you made an inappropriate dig about the protesters being unemployed.

7. Dennis Wilson
    FAIL

IDIOTS

Whether this claim is bogus or not it will force millions of innocent people to change their passwords.

Anonymous are nothing more than morons with the brains of a slug on a motorway. I hope the yanks catch every one of them.

1. Steven Roper
      Go

Re: IDIOTS

"...force millions of innocent people to change their passwords."

Which is a GOOD thing, no?

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

All B.S. and criminal activities

As we saw previously, Anonymous makes a lot of false claims. Hacking and releasing people's passwords is not a contribution to society. Hopefully these folks will be caught and prosecuted for their crimes.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

WHY ARE EL REG USING UNNECESSARY CAPITALS IN THEIR HEADLINES?

STOP SHOUTING!

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Smoke, Fire ?

I was forced to change my paypal details when I tried to buy something the other day and yep it was the legitimate site. It bricked my order because of it and I had to start again, grrr

This topic is closed for new posts.