back to article Twitter in BRUTAL crackdown on copyright looters. Sort of

Twitter has begun politely telling people to stop attempting to share copyrighted material on the micro-blogging site by tweeting a pass-agg message informing them that the content has been withheld. The company revealed on Saturday that it would be offering "more transparency in processing copyright reports by withholding …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. JeffyPooh
    Pint

"...could have their accounts killed off permanently."

I read somewhere that it was "impossible" to completely and permanently delete a Twitter account. I'm happy to see that there's now an easy method to achieve the impossible.

2. g e
    Joke

WTF can you fit into 140 chars?

A Haiku maybe ?

1. Francis Boyle Silver badge

Re: WTF can you fit into 140 chars?

Don't even think about messing with Big Poetry!

2. Haku
      Coat

Re: WTF can you fit into 140 chars?

You called?

Oh, a Haiku.

Must make that Specsavers appointment...

3. DJ Smiley
    Facepalm

And so the death of twitter begins...

This is what causes the masses to move on I believe. We'll see.

4. Dave 15

makes me sick

copyright copyright copyright.... there are companies happily 'copyrighting' all sorts of shit and not letting anyone share or use it despite stopping it getting out in 'proper channels'

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: makes me sick

You can't "copyright" something. It is not a verb and not a process that you can undertake.

Copyright is automatic and exists to protect the creator as soon as the work is created. One does not have to do anything to benefit from copyright protection.

This web site is very informative: http://www.ipo.gov.uk/

5. Keep Refrigerated
    Trollface

RT

I always thought it stood for Re-Tweet, but now it all makes sense... Rights-Thieving.

6. Morely the IT Guy
    Thumb Down

Oops.

"Twitter is now more properly policing"

And by so doing, by exceeding the requirements of the law, they make themselves liable for any copyright infringement that escapes their notice.

You can count on the MPAA/RIAA suing them out of business (probably following an illegal raid on Twitter's Corporate offices).

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

One warning is enough

After that it's time to report them, suspend their account and allow the law to prosecute these degenerates. Copyright laws apply to all and sooner or later the morons who pirate will figure that out. They may be in prison when they figure it out, but eventually they will figure out and it will be an expensive learning lesson.

8. Shannon Jacobs
    Holmes

Twitter is nasty, brutish, and short

Or perhaps I should say "at least it's short." I've had a Twitter account for several years. Kept trying to find a meaningful, useful, interesting, or relevant use for it. Finally thought I had found one--but I was mistaken. Twitter turned out to be just as worthless at it had always seemed.

In conclusion, I dismiss Twitter as nasty, brutish, and short.

There is a tiny bit of a good idea under there (somewhere), but the implementation stinks to high heaven. It will be interesting to see how long the first-in-the-niche effect can keep them alive. I was going to call it the market-leader effect, except that there's no market there and I can't imagine there ever will be one.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

WHY ARE EL REG USING UNNECESSARY CAPITALS IN THEIR HEADLINES?

TEDIOUS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like