back to article Texas woman sues cops over burst Bulgarian airbag

A surgically enhanced Texan is suing police over a burst Bulgarian airbag she claims went pop as she was arrested over an unpaid speeding ticket. Rebecca Van Hooser, of Arlington, was pulled over on 28 October in neighbouring Pantego for a "headlight violation". The traffic cop acted on a warrant for the unpaid ticket by …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

American police always acting professionally?

Is that possible? It seems every five minutes you hear about a young girl getting tazed, or some other rough handling of the general public by thicko goons with a hard on for power.

1. Wize

Re: American police always acting professionally?

True, the car mounted cameras have caught both bad behaviour by the public and bad behaviour by the cops. Would be interesting to see the cop car camera footage to see if he was out of order with his treatment of a citizen or if she was being a dick and deserved the rough treatment.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Increasing so in the UK for that matter... a blind guy with a white stick, thought to be bearing a sword for example.

3. Peter Murphy
      Stop

My impression is that there seems to be too many police forces (not police) for the population of the US. You have federal level police like the FBI, then you have state police, then there's county police, and then there's city police. Since there are a lot counties and cities in the USA, there's a lot of police forces - each with a level of training (or lack of thereof). So some organizations - I guess - would be more or less professional, but other would be a bunch of "Respect mah authoritah" yahoos who watched too many episodes of COPS. The latter are the types who get themselves into the media in a bad way.

No criticism from Australia intended - we've had problems with dodgy cops ourselves. But at least things are a little simpler: Federal police for the ACT (and Australia), and 7 police forces for the NT and each of the six states. All of these have a career structure that involves some level of basic training - training that seems to be absent from the cops in this story.

1. Reg Blank
        Black Helicopters

@Peter.

It is:

A) A function of how the US was created, with colonisation often outstripping the reach of government authority to provide protection,

B) A function of a desire among the American people to decentralise authority through a fear of a central authority (usually paranoid, in modern times).

2. wowfood

Wouldn't it be better to sue the surgeons who put in the implant? I mean if it explodes like that surely there must have been something wrong to begin with. Not saying the police officer didn't use too much force but an implant should last a bit more force than that.

Makes you wonder, doesn't it.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Surely they should survive a bit of rough treatment.

Sometimes its more fun when it hurts, but only a bit and remember your safe word.

These sound like they would break on a minor bit of motorboating.

3. This post has been deleted by its author

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

2 claims

Any armed person who feels the need to use physical force against an unarmed person is not fit to be armed.

But there are two claims here: one against the officer, and one against the surgeon / implant manufacturer. Some ladies like to have their breasts treated pretty roughly, Mrs Coward being a case in point. Whilst Mrs Coward has no need of enhancement, mainly due to my appreciation of breasts that would be illegal in Australia, it does seem odd that anything other than a fairly major trauma (e.g. the car accident which supplied the El Reg vernacular) should cause a burst.

1. VWDan

Re: 2 claims

"Any armed person who feels the need to use physical force against an unarmed person is not fit to be armed."

I'm no lover of US police and I'm certainly not commenting on this case directly, but this makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. Just because I have a gun doesn't mean I have to choose between being beaten up by someone with no weapon or shooting them.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Actually, I hadn't thought of that. You are right. I was wondering if the downvotes were for my rough (consensual) treament of Mrs Coward or talking about it, but - knowing this crowd - probably (well deserved) for that ill-thought statement from which I started.

2. Killraven
        Alert

A security/police officer NEVER has the right to use force without a threat of danger being presented to them first.

Full stop.

1. Wize

"A security/police officer NEVER has the right to use force without a threat of danger being presented to them first."

Do we know if she was getting violent before he pinned her down?

1. Killraven

"Do we know if she was getting violent before he pinned her down?"

That would obviously fall under a "threat of danger".

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"Any armed person who feels the need to use physical force against an unarmed person is not fit to be armed."

You've never seen an unarmed person kick off against a group of armed police then? Go watch one of those 'mekin cop shows. Its not a rare sight on them.

3. NomNomNom

with an attitude like that u will be eaten by zombies

5. Evil Auditor Silver badge

Warning...

...tattooed to their forehead: "Bulgarian airbag inside. Handle with care."

1. NomNomNom

Re: Warning...

"do not touch" and "keep off the grass" too

6. Locky
    Coat

Headlight Volation

The new name for Bulgarian Airbags?

1. Mark 65

Re: Headlight Volation

Technically she has got a faulty headlight now. No high-beaming for her.

7. Alex King
    Thumb Up

Fantastic idea

Anyone modified in this way should be compelled to prominently display a warning label that is always visible. Preferably in Arial 14pt.

1. pete 22
      FAIL

Re: Fantastic idea

"Anyone modified in this way should be compelled to prominently display a warning label that is always visible. Preferably in Arial 14pt."

You *heathen*.

It shall be comic sans 24 pt.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Ow

forcefully pulls them out and yanks them very hard behind her back...

No wonder they burst sorry Ms Hooters!

9. Suburban Inmate
    Windows

Sheeeeit!

"The Pantego powers that be expressed "complete faith" in their officers, and insisted they always behave in "the most professional manner""

The Pantego moonshine racket is alive an well, I see.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Pics or it didn't happen...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Pics

The link in the article has a nice picture of her in apparently happier times. There's nothing too outlandish, just a tasteful (tasty?) enhancement.

11. Another User
    FAIL

A lot of pathetic comments

With a little bit of effort the readers and the editor could learn more about what happened or allegedly happened.

The incident took place on Oct. 28, 2011. The dashboard camera video was deleted after 90 days. The woman had to undergo a complete mastectomy of her right breast.

There is no claim that the woman was intoxicated or aggressive (The available picture shows a friendly looking woman). This leaves me to wonder what would happen to the other commentators were they to be pulled over.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

(almost) nominative determinism

Surely it was Rebecca Van Hooter ..

13. Fatman

Some karma

Handcuff his ass in a jail cell, and hand her a knife, a very dull knife, and let her castrate him like the cowboys castrate a bull.

14. bugalugs

Compliance

Stand still with both hands at your side. Say clearly " I am compliant " and outline any medical conditions you think relevant ( think duty of care ). Carry an activated sound recorder ( and preferably have someone videoing the incident - getting harder isn't it ? ) then do your best to do as requested by the officer.

Here down-under a chap at a random public transport search point was arrested for putting his hands up on the grounds that it was " a threatening gesture " !

If violated, complain / litigate !

15. Equitas

So there was a warrant out for her

She got pulled over for a construction and use violation

and she's complaining?

How much is her lawyer expecting to make out of this?

If she'd left alone whatever natural breasts she had, she wouldn't have suffered any implant explosion.

And she's still going to get further work done to give her a new artificial breast.

Clearly this woman is a bit of a slow learner. And now that the whole world knows her breasts aren't real, she'll be a laughing-stock for the rest of her life.

Better a flat chest that's real than Bulgarian airbags any day!

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like