back to article Australia opens inquiry into smartphone apps

Australia's nanny state will take up residence in its citizens' smartphones, after the nation's government decided to launch “an inquiry into the experiences of Australian consumers with downloading apps, including free and paid apps, and making in-app purchases, on mobile phone and handheld devices.” Assistant Treasurer and …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Apple

Just so long as the inquiry addresses customer freedom and the requirement of vendors to open their products to user installed apps and other app stores. Cutting the tied nature of the app stores needs to happen soon, otherwise real customer experience is curtailed.

Basically, if apple doesn't scream, its no good.

2. foo_bar_baz

Haha

So running your own app store was a great idea. I'm looking forward to this being extended to the OS X app store as well.

I hope Microsoft is watching carefully. Perhaps walled gardens aren't so great after all.

3. graeme leggett Silver badge

what about the ability to reject a purchase

most things if bought "unseen" can be rejected under consumer protection law for reasons which include "now I've seen it for real, its not what i was looking for" as well as "it doesn't work"

There's currently opt-outs of a sort for DVDs and software to limit the "I don't like it" rejection but shouldn't there be more adequate projection against bad software and could Apple's level of control make it easier to implement a fuller no questions money back guarantee?

4. Shagbag

Job creation

With the Australian economy about to tank, I cannot help but think this is a simple job-creation exercise by the unpopular encumbant Government (are Governments ever popular?) to sure up the voters. I fail to see how any perceived 'benefit' will outweight the inqury's cost and am left feeling it is a gross misuse of public funds that typifies the maxim "the public get the politicians they deserve".

With such a blatant raid on the public purse, I cannot help but think "has Australia ever really left its Convict past?"

With commodity prices falling, China cutting back on orders for raw materials and an overblown property bubble about to burst (or has it started alread - Banksia?) I worry for my Australia colleagues as they are about to enter the abyss that will be their worst recession on record.

1. GrumpyOldBloke

Re: Job creation

Thank you for your concern Shagbag but I can assure you that Australia has well and truly left its convict days behind it. Casually depriving someone of their property without just equity or consent is no longer a crime punishable by deportation to the other side of the world. Taking more than you are rightfully entitled to or have consent for is now a job requirement in the public, finance and trade sectors of the economy. Far from denigrating those poor souls who seek to profit by feeding vending machines with washers and other worthless bits of tin we applaud those who create money out of thin air and hold in high esteem those who then gamble it away. Australia is no longer a land of hard working gaolers managing untrustworthy convicts - in fact it is quite the reverse.

5. Sorry that handle is already taken. Silver badge

"Nanny State"?

Who knew? I figured it was just consumer advocacy. Oh well.

Surely I'm not the only person whose opinion of someone plummets into the negative as soon as the words "nanny" and "state" cross their lips in immediate succession?

1. This post has been deleted by its author

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Only took until the second term of reference for children to be mentioned. Sounds like some nanny state control-freakery could be in the offing. Is Conroy about to go off on another tangent?

1. Sorry that handle is already taken. Silver badge
      Facepalm

I think we have our first winner

At least the article's author had the good sense to use the term with tongue in cheek (I think).

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like