back to article iPad Mini's quite a handful

Apple's iPad Mini is not easy to hold in one hand. The Reg's antipodean outpost took advantage of Australia's time zone and popped into a local Apple store to fondle the new slab. We found the mini is everything one would expect of an Apple product: sleek, pretty and simple. But a couple of issues quickly became apparent. …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Facepalm

Many say that iPad mini is a competitor of kindle or others with same size. In my opinion it's not so much competing with them. It's competing with nds, psp, it's for games. iPad for work and media consummation and occasional gaming while iPad mini is for games and occasional media consummation.

1. Geoffrey W

A tablet, of any size, in my experience, fares pretty badly with game consoles since it doesn't have all the buttons and controllers. Some games work well with touch screen mode only but many are hopelessly compromised by the lack of controllers and are uncomfortable to play. Or maybe its just me.

And I don't even want to know what "media consummation" is.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Obviously he means "media consumption".

Hardcore gamers might prefer joypads with buttons but most casuals are quite happy dancing in front of Kinect cameras, waggling Wii remotes or swiping Angry Birds across a touch screen. There's a reason why the sales of Vita and 3DS are so low- the casual market has moved to their phone/tablet for games. I'm not a huge fan of touch screen controls and prefer a joypad myself, but it's pretty clear where the casuals have all gone.

1. Tom 38
          Mushroom

Hardcore gamers might prefer joypads with buttons

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAA

Oh wait, you weren't joking? Hardcore gamers prefer keyboard and mouse pal.

1. Richard Plinston

@Tom 38

> Hardcore gamers prefer keyboard and mouse

_OLD_ gamers prefer keyboard and mouse

I take it that the 38 is your age, or less.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

yep, I meant consumption, consummation definitely wrong here (wtf?, too early in the morning to post). converted games don't work, but if the ui paradigm is properly thought, they will work very well. see dungeon hunter 2, NFS, ticket to ride, they're all great - the ipad felt always a bit too big. Regardless if I may be regarded as a hardcore gamer, i still am a lot on the run so I prefer to take my ipad instead of my playstation 2 or wii - it helps if i can put all my luggage in the cabin, or just use one hand for pulling it. Also, most of the hotels don't allow you to connect the playstation to their tv's, if they have a pay tv module installed.

2. Dana W
    Meh

I was.

I was looking forward to getting one, but the price just won't cut it. I'm off to get a Nexus 7 "32 gig" tomorrow and hope that the in-laws will get me a Mini..

1. Admiral Grace Hopper

Re: I was.

Similar feelings here. I waited for the smaller device as I was hoping for something more handbag-friendly that could use the same apps as my phone, but it's about £30 too much for what it is and the lack of a GPS kill it stone dead for me. Nexus 7 it is then.

3. TuckerJJ

"The essence of the iOS experience has now remained unchanged for several years"

I never really understood this complaint. The UI does the job, sure there're always improvements that can be made, but what would be the point in overhauling it from the ground up. Change for changes sake?

1. Steve Davies 3 Silver badge
      Paris Hilton

Well said

just look at the disaster area that is

Unity

Gnome 3

Windows 8 Metro/TIFKAM/whatever it is called today

Sigh, let the Ubuntu/Gnome/Windows fanboi hate replies begin...

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Paris because not all of her changes work

2. WorkingFromHome

People like a new toy

I think the reason the lack of changes to iOS could start to impact Apple is because people like new toys.

Personally I'm of the same view as you on this, I don't want change unless its shows a real improvement, but then I tend to keep my kit (be it phones, laptops, cars) until they stop working properly or the company makes me have a new one.

However a lot of people like to buy the latest stuff, they like to have a new toy, and there's nothing wrong with that. However if they see the last few versions of their current choice is basically the same as the last one, with just a few improvements then they will naturally start to look at what else is there to play with.

Maybe I'm wrong but an awful lot of people I know like to play with something new, even if they eventually decide they don't like it.

3. dougal83
      Meh

I recently upgraded from my trusty nokia and purchased a Samsung Galaxy S3. Looking at both Apple and Samsung devices side by side as someone new to using a smartphone, it was my opinion that the Android based handset was easier to use. IMO Android 4.0.3 was better than iOS 5 at the time(iOS6 maps fail now too). I can't be the only person who thinking this... Why pay more money for an Apple device that I am TOLD is far better? Admittedly Apple's bully boy tactics with patent rows have soured my opinion of them but iOS needs to improve or people like me won't buy their devices. I want what I've seen is the best option, I'm afraid it just not an Apple device. How about improving their products rather than using their money to keep the competition off the shelves?

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Well mine is supposed to be delivered on Tuesday, the reason - technical manuals in PDF form. Almost every day at work I've got PDFs open for technical documents and standard eBook readers just don't cut it.

I considered buying a nexus 7 as it's a lot cheaper and even the non cellular one has a GPS chip in it however, I personally don't like android that much and I have a fair amount on IOS apps which will transfer over to the iPad.

I could have even gone for the Kindle Fire, however I prefer the iPad over both not just because of iOS but also because the build quality should be better.

If I don't like it I'm sure I'll get a decent percentage of my money back on eBay, just look at how much original iPads are going for.

1. Ramazan

Re: technical manuals in PDF form

PDFs are generally formatted for A4 or Letter, so you should buy A4/Letter-sized (10") device then -- normal iPad or Kindle DX (oops!).

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: technical manuals in PDF form

Too large, I've got enough to drag about with two laptops and various tools.

I used to have an iPad and it was just yet another thing to drag about.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

How drole. A4 sized manuals on A4 sized devices are too big.

Also, for someone who spends most days reading technical manuals (one assumes you don't just open them for aesthetic reasons), you have a rather simplistic, childlike, almost paid shill air to your arguments.

1. uhuznaa

When you're not paid for tinkering with such things a pure appliance like the iPad just makes more sense than anything else.

I will never get this kind of "this device, which is well designed and has great software, has no place anywhere because I hate Apple".

(Typed on a Nexus 7 that AGAIN deleted characters several lines above the cursor when trying to edit the last sentence. If Google won't have fixed all these editing bugs in 4.2 I'll just go and buy an iPad after all).

2. tirk
        Facepalm

"How drole. A4 sized manuals on A4 sized devices are too big."

It's the thickness of the manuals of course (he said, struggling to avoid the obvious comparison with AC!)

3. Svantevid

I agree with Ramazan.

You'll be reading PDFs formatted for 14" page on 7,9" screen. Reflow works fine with simple text, but when it comes to pictures, diagrams or text in images, it becomes... interesting. Go with regular iPad.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

'That's something new Apple devices used to do single-handedly. '

And most fanbois appreciated the free hand too...

6. Sp0ck

The problem Apple have now is REAL competition in the Tablet space. The Nexus 7 and Nexus 10 are both as good if not better then their iPad mini / iPad counterparts. Money is in short supply, people who currently don't own a tablet or smartphone (there are some right?) have a real choice for a quality device at a cheaper price than the iPremium you pay to Apple.

This mini is a half-arsed attampt to cash in on the smaller tablet market place that the Nexus 7 and Kindle Fire have been plundering.

Near enough every Apple launch over the past 2 years has been all about Retina this and retina that. And then this comes along. Very poor show indeed.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Average developmeant time for these devices is 18 months so Apple must have started 1st quarter 2011. Still with your other comments it's clear reality isn't your strong point.

2. Toothpick
      Facepalm

REAL competition

"The problem Apple have now is REAL competition in the Tablet space. The Nexus 7 and Nexus 10 are both as good if not better then their iPad mini / iPad counterparts."

Agreed. But what they don't have is the same competition in Apps.

Our household has an iPad and a Galaxy Tab 2. The variety of tablet apps for the Samsung are, in my opinion, poor in comparison.

3. LukeLikely
      Holmes

Well said

That's why sales of the Kindle Fire went UP the day after the IPad Mini was announced. People took one look at Ipad mini and came to the conclusion that the Kindle was better spec'd, frankly the build quality on the Kindle and the Nexus 7 are absolutely top notch.

7. K
    WTF?

Galaxy Note 2

Apple really should swallow their own medicine, cause this looks like a carbon copy of the Galaxy Note 2 to me..

1. D@v3
      FAIL

Re: Galaxy Note 2

oh, completely, except the note is smaller and uses a stylus (amongst other things)

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Anyway

Apple are shit

1. tirk
      Facepalm

Re: Anyway

Must be half term.

2. melt
      Linux

Your mum.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Ahh, baby not get an iPad for the new term!

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Big hands?

That "portrait" photo reminds me of the publicity shots for the old Siemens C25 phone:

http://files.coloribus.com/files/adsarchive/part_172/1727755/siemens-packshot-600-18249.jpg

The phone wasn't actually that small - the hand must have belonged to some big Bavarian lass - or a trannie...

10. jai

portrait holding

just saying, why wouldn't you just hold it in portrait the same way that you're holding it in landscape? as you say, it's light enough that it's not an issue.

a mini tablet like this, despite what Samsung would like us to believe, is not the same as a smartphone and doesn't have to be held the same way

1. B4PJS

Re: portrait holding

The extremely thin bezel they had to use to keep their 4:3 aspect ratio down to a respectable width like the width of a competing 16:9 7 incher.

11. Alan Denman

This is bollocks just copying bollocks

In a couple of years time we will hopefully get back to reality rather than all this airy fairy marketing crap.

How it feels in the hand, plasticy, too big, too small talk surely means the damn things are quite basic toys.

12. Spoonsinger
    Coat

"Apple's iPad Mini is not easy to hold in one hand"

You know what they say about people with small hands.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: "Apple's iPad Mini is not easy to hold in one hand"

"You know what they say about people with small hands."

Small gloves?

2. Dante

Small gloves?

3. 404
      Childcatcher

Austin Powers: Only 2 things scare me, and one is nuclear war.

Basil: What's the other?

Austin Powers: Excuse me?

Basil: What's the other thing that scares you?

Austin Powers: Carnies.

Basil: What?

Austin Powers: Circus folk. Nomads, you know. Smell like cabbage. Small hands.

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"You know what they say about people with small hands."

..they're good for beginner-level fisting?

1. B4PJS
        Coffee/keyboard

damn you own me a new keyboard, I really didn't expect to read that!

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Right ladies, Own up!

Who has rushed out to buy the mini, even tho you've the desktop, mac book, iPhone, iPad and iPod already?

There's 1,000,000's of sad people out their. Own up.

14. Alan Denman

Apple are thinking of existing users on this one.

If you consider that iPad 2 and even iPad 1 are a more usable size then obviously 2nd hand values will hold.

Heck, even the lousy dated and ultra cheap SOC in the Mini helps keep value.

A touch of brilliance by Apple.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Apple are thinking of existing users on this one.

"If you consider that iPad 2 and even iPad 1 are a more usable size then"......why did Apple release a smaller size?

"A touch of brilliance by Apple."......Another punter blinded by Apple.

This reality distortion field is stronger than the force (to the weak minded).

1. Dana W

Re: Apple are thinking of existing users on this one.

They released one because there is a market for a smaller tablet despite what the Steve said. I only wish it had been priced better.

Its not that I don't want one. But I'm just out of iDebt from my Macbook Pro, and don't want to go back in till next year when new phone time comes.

I can afford a new Nexus 7 "barely". If Apple wanted my $$$$ so badly , either 32 gigs in the base model or a better price would have made the difference. If I get one for the holidays "I love generous in-laws" I'll be thrilled. But I have given Apple all I can spare. Its just not priced to compete for people on a budget.

15. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Missing article ratings again

..as this quick and light article was refreshingly free of foaming pro/anti bias, had interesting information, and did exactly what it said on the tin.

Thumbs up, anyway.

1. Admiral Grace Hopper

Re: Missing article ratings again

*looks up*

If you're putting your thumbs up, how large are your hands?

16. Colin Wilson 2

I like the way Apple got Phil Schiller to present this the other day. He's a big bloke. Hands like bunches of bananas!

17. Dana W

Just bought a 32 gig Nexus 7.

Its not bad, I'd have preferred an iPad, "Mac User" but my checking account saw it differently.

I'd been waiting for a matured android experience and this seemed like a good place to start.Its not bad, snappy, and with a good loader its useful and fun. "although the speakers are horrid"

I'm glad for the Nexus products, Apple will have to get out of its stagnation to beat Google.The iPad Mini, its two year old stats, and 16 gig flash won't cut it. I'll keep using the Nexus 7 till Apple can sell me a better small tablet. "Or a more competitive price on this one"

18. verity33
    Thumb Up

The Mini has a really nice screen, sharper than that on the iPad 2. I don't think it needed retina. I can touch type on it, though I do have small hands. I found it a bit heavy to hold in one hand, probably for the same reason :-) But I reckon it's going to be in a lot of Christmas stockings this year.

19. John 62

iOS staying the same

"the essence of the iOS experience has now remained unchanged for several years"

I believe that's why Forstall was removed.

To be fair, I quite like the iOS UI and don't particularly want Android, but when all you have is icons, badges on icons and only Calender.ipa can have live updates to its icon, then there's a severe lack of imagination going on. MS is on to something with live tiles and Apple will have to respond.

20. GrandpaChris
    Angel

"iPad Mini is just right" - said daddy bear

Time to retire my iPod Touch - 3 gen. - my eyes are having floater problems. I think it (iTouch) is worth CDN $19. Will give it to Sally Ann Store. Facetime and LTE are my motivators - comments?http://www.theregister.co.uk/Design/graphics/icons/comment/angel_32.png

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like