back to article Apple updates iOS 6, Safari

Apple updated its iOS mobile operating system on Thursday – and no, it didn't fix the deservedly maligned Maps app – along with an update for its Safari web browser for OS X 10.7.5 Lion and OS X 10.8.2 Mountain Lion . The Safari update weighs in at a trim – for Apple, at least – 47MB, but the iOS update, downloading at this …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Not updating

I'm not updating until I have a working map app either via a Google download or via Apple fixing their terrible software.

If I end up not doing any more updates or (eventually) moving to a different brand of phone come upgrade time, so be it.

1. Sean Timarco Baggaley
      FAIL

Re: Not updating

Seriously? Google's maps can be accessed through Safari on any iOS device: just visit maps.google.com. It even offers more features than the old app. Did it not occur to you to try it? You can even pin the page to one of the iOS home pages if you want, so it opens up like an app.

There are also any number of (often free) GPS navigation apps for iOS devices. Those even give you offline maps, albeit without the pretty aerial photography.

As for Apple's own Maps app: there's nothing wrong with that either. The dataset is not part of the application itself, so why you expect an iOS update to fix it escapes me. The iOS Maps application has barely changed: the only new bits are the vector-based data handling and the 3D "flyover" feature. That's it. Everything else is much as it was in iOS 5 – even down to the littler page curl in the lower-right corner.

The mapping data itself is stored in a database on some servers and downloaded on demand, and that's what is being so heavily criticised by people (who presumably don't live anywhere near me in Italy).

The Maps app is just an intermediary – a client. No amount of iOS updates will change that. Your post shows a shocking amount of ignorance about how this kind of application works. Which is impressive given that this is an IT website.

Google's mapping data was shit in the beginning too. Where I live, it's still pretty mediocre, and dangerously outdated in places. (In fact, Apple's dataset is better than Google's and even has the local roads – including a ten-year-old bypass that Google's database still doesn't seem to know about – labelled correctly.)

So Apple clearly don't have a monopoly on dodgy map data. Google have, however, had rather longer to sort theirs out. I wonder what their excuse is.

1. TheRealRoland
        Happy

Funny, this argument... 'just use the website, instead of the app! Much better than any app! More functionality compared to the app!'.

That's what people were saying when the BlackBerry Playbook was launched. But no, apps were it. Without apps, playbook was branded an epic fail!

-proud playbook owner, looking smug, and happily typing this out on his playbook tablet. Without using apps. The playbook contains a gps, btw. Unlike that other 'mini-me' tablet.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

The problem is all the apps that use the Maps API - such as Find my Friends - use the new Apple Maps dataset. The gmaps applet is OK for one-offs but any apps that use the iOS Maps API won't use the gmaps data.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Google cannot provide an app. The ToS that Apple has for the app store stipulates that apps cannot "compete" with built-in apps. So if Apple approved it, then they would for all apps that compete and thus violate their own ToS. Apps have been pulled from the app store in the past because Apple added similar functionality into iOS itself. So I wouldn't hold your breath on Google "helping" Apple fix their issue by create a Google Maps app. They are going to make Apple live by their ToS and suffer the consequences.

2. Mad Hacker
    Facepalm

The New Maps Rock

Not sure what's wrong with everyone. The new maps app I've found is more accurate in my area (Phoenix, Arizona) finally showing my dentist on the correct northwest corner of the nearby intersection rather than the southwest corner Google maps always showed him on. The turn by turn directions have been accurate and helpful and I've probably used them about 30 times, always with 100% accuracy. I suppose if you don't drive yourself around and want to use mass transit it must be a downgrade but we don't really have much in the way of mass transit here so I didn't notice the loss. In fact if the previous maps app did something with regards to mass transit I wasn't aware of it. Lastly street view was cute but I'm not missing it. You could argue the 3D building view on the new iOS maps app is just as cute and useless.

1. dssf

Re: The New Maps Rock

But, they do not rock with Koreans, with Liancourt Rocks showing up instead of Dokdo (on Google's maps, and both Dokdo and Takeshima on Apple's maps), on maps of Korea outside of Korea. Seems to be causing problems for Appke in Korea.

Apple uses the utterly rubbish excuse that it cannot use Kokdo on Korean maps because Korean law prohibits taking map data out of the country. Oh, so, we can SEE Korean words and names other than Dokdo, but not Dokdo. Lame excuse. Besides, when i was in China in August, Korean names shiwed up in googlemapps, so, why was Apple having a problem if Google was not, at the time?

Maybe there is more to the sacking of Korea's Apple head?

May really be maps related.

http://english.chosun.com/site/data/html_dir/2012/10/26/2012102601282.html

http://english.chosun.com/site/data/html_dir/2012/11/02/2012110200577.html

"However, Dokdo is not disputed territory, since it is officially administered by Korea and Japan merely insists on a flimsy colonial-era claim to the islets.

Tokyo nonetheless seems to have persuaded global tech firms like Apple, Google, Microsoft and Yahoo that it would be more "neutral" to use names that would appear to legitimize the Japanese claim.

According to reports on Thursday, Apple has decided to show both the Korean and Japanese names for the Dokdo islets in its new English-language mapping service for the iPhone, apparently under pressure from Japan."

1. Ramazan
        Joke

Re: Seems to be causing problems for Appke in Korea

It's mostly Samsung that's causing problems for Apple in Korea, not Apple maps

2. gc73
      Thumb Down

Well lucky you. Where I am, the maps are in black and white, and at awful resolution. Try looking up some famous landmarks to test out the fluff that is the 3D view, pick the suggestion the app gives you and "no results found". How can that be when it was the app that suggested it in the first place?! If you want to have public transport information, tap the icon to get some "suggestions" of other apps you could use to find what you need. Well that would be peachy if any of them actually had data on the transit systems around me.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Google maps isn't perfect either

The Clock Tower in Saint Mark's square in Venice is labelled as the Hard Rock Cafe by Google Maps.

http://goo.gl/maps/boSVq

3. Velv
      Joke

Of course it works in Arizona - everything is at least 30 miles from everything else so Apple maps are going to be relatively accurate

3. Steve Knox
    Facepalm

You're updating it wrong.

The Safari update weighs in at a trim – for Apple, at least – 47MB, but the iOS update, downloading at this very moment onto your Reg reporter's three-plus-year-old iPhone 3GS, is a Brobdingnagian 780.5MB.

As per usual, the Safari update can be downloaded from Apple's Mac App Store by clicking – what else? – the Updates icon in the App Store app, now at version 1.2.1. The iOS update is accessible through the Summary pane of the iTunes after selecting your target in the Devices list in the left-hand pane.

Well, you can also get the iOS update by going to Settings->General->Software Update on the phone itself -- where it weighs in at a svelte 69.7MB.

1. Bill Fresher

Re: You're updating it wrong.

"For example, the update promises to fix a bug that prevents iPhone 5s from installing software updates wirelessly"

Presumably not on the iPhone 5.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Sorry, no -- I just checked, it requires 697MB when updating via the phone itself. Guess I will have to remove some tunes before I attempt it. I'm not sure, though, if those 697MBs are permanent, or just temporary while its installing. Anyone know?

1. Toothpick
        Stop

Are you doing it wirelessly? Mine was 47.6Mb. Start to finish about 2 mins.

1. scarletherring

I stand corrected, my bad... Download is indeed quite small at 47.6 -- for me it complained however that it needed ~700 megs of free space, which I don't have at the moment.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"Dreaming of a fix for the crap Maps app?"

Except of course the maps app has been updated. The pixellated sections of Gloucestershire have been fixed and the black and white images are now in colour. The 3D terrain (not the 3D cities) also seems to have been tweaked slightly to be more dramatic as well.

The app is perfectly usable and it's only people with an axe to grind who will continue to try and make it out to be broken.

1. TheOtherHobbes

Re: "Dreaming of a fix for the crap Maps app?"

Maps is now showing road numbers in the UK for A and B roads and some errors close to me have been fixed - one town particularly has moved from the side of a hill to its real location.

There are still some bad spelling mistakes and weird location names in London. And of course no street view. And the vertical location data and OpenGL mesh rendering still looks strange and squishily Dali-esque in most places.

But it's getting close to being usable.

Problem is devs still can't use turn-by-turn because if we do MapKit kills our apps and opens Maps instead.

1. AndyTempo

Ah yes.. I see Llangollen is no longer at the top of the horseshoe pass and down in its correct home.

And the B road near me has a number on it now as well as the name.

1. GettinSadda
          Thumb Up

Brighton now has satellite views - which were missing until recently.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Update?

That's not an update, at 780MB it's a bloody reinstall.

1. Franklin
      Thumb Up

Re: Update?

At 780 MB, it *is* a bloody reinstall, quite right. The update procedure described in the article is a full-on iOS 6 reinstall.

Or, you can do an update from the phone itself. The update is around 67 MB.

1. Jason Hall

43.3MB for my iphone 4.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Academic question for me, using a (perfectly serviceable but otherwise abandoned by Apple) iphone 3

6. ceebee
    FAIL

safari... well just...

Apple of course has not updated Safari (or much else) for Snow Leopard users who are stuck with Safari vs 5.0. No security updates ..zilch..typical...

Of course as good little Apploids we are supposed to drop everything upgrade to Lion or Mountain Lion ..fine but then I lose a range of applications needing PPC code (yes they still exist).

I am sorry this continues to be a huge security FAIL!

1. Franklin
      Thumb Down

Re: safari... well just...

Fail? Are you sure?

Huh. That's odd. I'm typing this on a Snow Leopard machine, using Safari 5.1.7. Not sure why you're stuck with Safari 5.0; that's not the case for me at all.

7. Pyers

Safari update pulled?

Safari update has disappeared, getting server error in app store and it's not here: http://support.apple.com/downloads/#safari

8. JohnMurray

Well..

Maps has worked for me since it was installed.

It even displays a new road near me while google tells me to go through a bus-lane only road...

1. HipposRule
      Stop

Re: Well..

Why the flip are you using a map app to drive near your home - are you that dumb?

1. Paw Bokenfohr
        FAIL

@ HipposRule

"Why the flip are you using a map app to drive near your home - are you that dumb?"

Why even bother with this post? Just to be nasty?

There two blindingly obvious reasons to use the maps app when driving near your home:

1. To test it so that you can see whether it's likely to work how you want it to work when you are in places that you do not know so well.

2. Because it has traffic awareness, which you do not have, and so may well find you a quicker route home / to wherever you're going.

Also, there's always the possibility that the OP has just moved to the area and doesn't know the roads so well. In fact, if you live in a big town or city it can take a long time to get to know all the little ways around, especially if like most of us you spend most of your time driving to and from work and shops rather than just out driving down side streets for fun.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

And perhaps, if you are driving somewhere you usually start navigating from your home rather than drive a number of miles and then pull over and start navigating.

Quite a normal use-case I would suggest?

9. Yves Kurisaki

Info not quite right

I updated my iPhone 4S yesterday evening and the download was 47MB. There's something not quite right with the info in this article.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

My understanding was that the bulk of the problems with Maps are in the dataset

and thus aren't really subject to correction through updates to the application itself. Even in the weeks after its initial release improvements were being widely reported.

11. David Beeston
    FAIL

Er... download Error's out for me on the Safari security update

WTF Apple.

Personally cant get the safari security update. Try to download and get ... (NSURLErrorDomain error -3001.) (102). Don't know what that is, but even tried the old switch it off and back on again trick - nothing. Won't download.

Is it me or is there an increasing trend of bugs in Apple's software?

12. Adam JC
    Thumb Down

Wonder if this will fix...

My f@#£ing iPhone 5 going to 'No Service', then deciding it's going to stay there - Even when I drive right up to a pissing cell tower.

I've taken two handsets back to apple since the ip5 came out. One for a large scratch on the back when I unboxed it, and another one for 'signal problems'. This is my third, and no matter what I try - 75% of the time I get my phone out of my pocket to check, it appears to be stuck on 'No Signal', until I give in and toggle aeroplane mode, and it magically jumps back to full signal. Interestingly, when stuck on this 'No Signal' mode, if I fire up NavFree, my GPS will not work either, yet both return to normality after toggling... I do note from the Apple update notes that they also included a possible fix for this...

"• Resolves an issue that prevents iPhone from using the cellular network in some instances"

Also, has anyone else noticed that after using navigation software for anything over 30 seconds, the phone gets ridiculously hot? (And this is WITHOUT the handset on charge).

I'm starting to seriously regret not going for the GS3.. :-(

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Wonder if this will fix...

My f@#£ing iPhone 5 going to 'No Service', then deciding it's going to stay there - Even when I drive right up to a pissing cell tower.

I used to get that with an iPhone 3GS - I had to reboot to get the signal back, and this was in the middle of London not out in the sticks. The ultimate solution proved to be getting a different brand of phone ...

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Network issue

There seems to be an issue with network settings, mine (4s) sometimes gets its knickers in a twist too and refuses to find the 3G network. Go into settings, and in "General" there is a "reset" option. If you select "network reset", it nukes any stored data, and will probably work again. The only problem is that it will lose any stored WiFi passwords so you'll have to re-enter them, but I found it generally the quickest way to make it behave again.

Not sure what it is or why, but it happens about every 2 months or so.

3. Adam JC
      WTF?

The only reason I can assume I was downvoted is because a couple of fanboys took it to heart that I may be jumping ship?

1. BigAndos

I have similar issues with my 4S. It will often drop down to Edge, GPRS or no signal which is resolved by switching Airplane mode on and off. Same thing used to happen on my 4 as well. This is a pretty basic thing for a mobile phone and it has put me off getting a 5. Indeed, I only got a 4S because my 4 got stolen prior to end of contract!

13. MrSmash
    Thumb Down

London maps

The maps app is serviceable but in London it is a bit of a pain as it doesn't show the tube stations unless you zoom right in and then you cant see much of the surrounding area (which is handy if you are working out the best way of getting somewhere). It also doesnt actually label them with the station name or differentiate between underground and overground stations, they all use the same icon, so you end up tapping on them to see what they are. Bit poor really for a major capital city

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"...downloading at this very moment onto your Reg reporter's three-plus-year-old iPhone 3GS..."

iOS 6 must be painful to use on a 3GS.

I found iOS 5 to be almost an "upgrade too far" —my 3GS feels positively lethargic a lot of the time now. But I've stuck with it, because the free messaging over wifi in iMessages is worth the pain. I don't see any reason to upgrade to iOS 6 though. There's nothing new apart from a [better / worse / different*] maps app and bloody ArseFace built-in —which counts as a downgrade, in my book.

*Delete as appropriate

1. Philip Lewis
      Coffee/keyboard

YMMV, but the tests say ...

"iOS 6 must be painful to use on a 3GS."

A tech site (I forget which, maybe ArsTechnica?) did some testing of iOS6 on a 3GS and for the most part the upgrade was faster than iOS5. Some features are missing for both good (and highly dubious/arbitrary) reasons though.

15. a53

Unfortunately a lot of people, including me, are finding that the App Store Safari update won't download, with users getting the message "HT1222 Error: The operation couldn’t be completed. (NSURLErrorDomain error -3001.)(102)"

Luckily CNET have a version that does download and install. Never met up with this problem before.

16. Dana W
    Trollface

Worked fine for me.

My iDevice update policy has been 100% effective since my first iPhone.

I wait till people on El reg tell me it will destroy my device or fail, then I update. The update works perfectly every time.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like