back to article Acer is the latest maker to delay plans for a Windows RT fondletop

Acer has postponed the release of its Windows RT tab on the channels say so as it waits to see how market adoption rates develop. The Taiwanese giant had planned to push out its version around February next year but EMEA president Oliver Ahrens confirmed the date has slipped by a couple of months. "We talk to channel partners …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. LarsG
    Meh

This is telling is it not?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Indeed, they don't like competent competition.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

VERY telling

They have seen what's Windows 8 RT is like, and have run a mile, like everyone else, including Kevin...

http://www.zdnet.com/three-days-in-the-life-of-a-once-and-former-microsoft-surface-rt-user-7000006421/

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: VERY telling

You do realize that "Kevin" is a fictional character?

3. N13L5
      FAIL

We can only hope it fails, because RT is basically an Apple style jail cell without the pretty garden.

The more consumers stupidly vote with their dollars for monolithic control by a single corporation over the devices they purchase, the sooner the internet will revert to something akin to the dark ages of Compuserve and AOL a decade ago.

And, you will find you don't really own what you paid for anymore. Like a Playstation, if you alter it, hack it, put something on it they don't want you to, you'll get sued, locked out, penalized.

All that can be done with clever combinations of copyright and license agreements you have to sign at purchase, which usually nobody reads.

Like Apple's new Lightning connector: copyrighted, even though it does nothing that a standard USB connector couldn't do just as well. And it has a chip built in, solely to prevent you from plugging something in that Apple doesn't want you to plug in.

I hope people wake up before these things turn even more extreme.

4. BrentRBrian

Q2 of what year ?

Waiting for demand is not a healthy sign

2. K

Agreed...

Given the current trends of Windows releases i.e. Success and Flop, Windows 9 will be f*cking awesome!

Roll on 2014!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Sigh...

Please stop repeating this tired old meme. It's complete rubbish and shows up the people who repeat it as knowing nothing about Windows.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Sigh...

"Please stop repeating this tired old meme. It's complete rubbish and shows up the people who repeat it as knowing nothing about Windows."

True. Windows 9 will be a pile of shit just like Windows 1 through to 8. There was a reason they had to get it included with the computer and why they still put a lot of effort into that particular packaging trick - they know they couldn't shift it any other way.

2. EvilGav 1
      Thumb Down

Interesting, what makes you think Windows 9 will be here by 2014?

History is against you, given that only Me has had a life lasting for such a short time and that had more to do with introducing the NT core to the home than anything else.

95 lasted 3 years, 98 lasted 2 years (only 1 if you actually believe that 98SE was a whole new OS), Me lasted for 13 months, XP lasted for 5 years, Vista just shy of 3 years and 7 3 years.

For 9 to be here in 2014 you have to believe that 8 will be as unloved as Me was, which from all i've heard from people who have actually used it, is not the case - everyone is stating it runs quicker than 7 on the same hardware.

3. Robert E A Harvey
    Coat

Bwahahahahahhaaa

that is all

4. DrXym

50,000 shipments each

This sounds like fulfilling contractual obligations rather than any expectation of selling them.

Anyway the Surface isn't exactly getting glowing reviews, so perhaps the RT market could do with some competition assuming the platform actually does take off.

5. Lars Silver badge
    Holmes

Any body help me!

Fondle this fondle that, I am lost.

6. adnim
    Joke

I think

the delay is due to the amount of bloatware, software trials, tool bars and other useless cruft that Acer fill their laptops with. Perhaps they haven't decided who to affiliate with yet.

Joke Icon, but it ain't no joke!

1. Richard Plinston

Re: I think

> the amount of bloatware, software trials, tool bars and other useless cruft

The article is talking about Windows RT, there is _no_ bloatware, software trials, tool bars or other cruft, useless or not, because there is no software for it*.

* beyond some converted phone apps - and Windows RT is not a phone.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Has Microsoft actually given this any thought?

I mean Windows 8 is hated and will fail as it is coded with dog poo. Windows RT has potential but it's being launched at the same time as dog poo with no marketing? One word: EPIC FAIL

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like