back to article Dell Latitude 6430u set to be first Ultrabook with gigabit wireless

Dell’s upcoming Windows 8 Ultrabook, the Latitude 6430u, look set to be one of the first - if not the very first - notebook computer to incorporate high-speed WiGig wireless networking technology. The PC giant’s Latitude 6430u page doesn’t yet mention WiGig or 802.11ad, the yet-to-be ratified standard on which WiGig is based. …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. sebacoustic
    Meh

Smudgescreen

Does windows 8 imply the lappy has a touchscreen? That'd be crap because i couldn't chastise people any more for putting their grubby mitts on the clean screen.

2. The BigYin

Best wireless...

...worst OS. Yin, meet Yang. Balance must be maintained.

3. Robert E A Harvey

screen?

1366×768? what is the point of super wireless and an i7 cpu with a toys-r-us screen?

1. Tom Chiverton 1
      Thumb Up

Re: screen?

14.0” HD+ (1600x900) Anti-Glare LED-backlight - "coming in February"

Oh my yes.

1. Captain Save-a-ho
        Meh

900p? Meh. I'd still rather go for the Asus Zenbook Prime (UX31A-DB71), where I can get 1080p. Desktop real estate is always at a premium on a laptop.

1. Tom Chiverton 1

if you get such a tiny screen as on the Zen, then yes, it will be at a premium !

4. Tom Chiverton 1
    Linux

More interestingly, they list Ubuntu as a supported operating system !

1. Robert E A Harvey

Ubunutu? Where?

I just called Dell UK:

me: I want this with Linux

Dell: It is only available with windows 8

Me: Not interested. What other OS do you offer

Dell: It is only available with windows 8

2. The BigYin

They list Ubuntu 11.10 as being supported. 12.04 is the LTS (i.e. the actual one you'd use for business) and 12.10 has dropped. So that's a fail.

And, of course, there's no guarantee you'll be able to order the Ubuntu variant (they are usually only shipped in certain territories).

1. Tom Chiverton 1
        FAIL

Aye. The Dell *UK* site is obviously too stupid to only offer me buyable things.

1. The BigYin
          Thumb Down

What's stupid is that the Dell UK site is listing Ubuntu 11.10 as being supported, but the sales site does not list it as an option. In fact, Dell do not seem to ship any Ubuntu boxes in the UK judging by their sales site.

PITA.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like