back to article Android games console jumps to Jelly Bean for penultimate test phase

Android-based games console Ouya has entered the Engineering Verification Testing phase, which essentially means the team is evaluating how the box runs ahead of the planned shipment of developer kits this coming December. The hotly-anticipated games console - which made a big splash in the gaming world after a high-profile …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. miknik

4.2 would be well suited to it

The addition of multiple user accounts added in 4.2 would be a good feature for a console. I'll be interested to see how this pans out....

2. Richard Lloyd
    Meh

Costs more than $99

If it's shpping internationally, the Ouya costs $20 shipping, bringing it to $119. If it's being shipped from outside the EU (quite possible - does anyone know where EU orders are shipped from?), then there is the spectre of import duty/VAT being involved as well (could be another $30 or so). So that's basically close to 100 quid, not 64 like the article said.

Still, even at that price, it's cheap enough to do an annual replacement for a hardware upgrade should new games come out that need the updated kit.

1. wowfood

Re: Costs more than $99

Camn, forgot about the VAT charge. With any luck int he future once the OUYA starts manufacture, considering the simplicity, they might be able to open a factory in the EU. I know I know it's not likely. But I REALLY hate paying VAT.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

$99 in the US = £299 right? ;)

2. Oor Nonny-Muss
        FAIL

You know that you pay VAT on stuff made inside the EU and sold inside the EU right?

1. Ian Johnston Silver badge
          Thumb Down

Unless you're the Raspberry Pi foundation, of course, in which case the rules on VAT for components and assemblies are completely different from those applying to anyone else ...

2. Manolo
      Flame

Worse still, where I live, the mail man will handle the paying of import duties and VAT for you (without me asking him to do so, or even give consent) and happily slap another fifteen Euros or so(*) on top for providing that service and not even bother to attach a specified invoice.

*: Since there was no specified invoice, I have no way of knowing how much was import duties and how much was their fee. VAT I can work out, as that is a fixed percentage at 21%.

3. jai

but are there really any games out there that are suited to the console playing experience? is android capable of this? i've been moaning to my friends recently, because i like the look of the new XCOM game, but i don't want to sit in front of the telly playing a turn-based strategy type game. I'd rather play a game like that on a tablet. equally, i don't want to play the types of games they are currently on mobiles and tablets on the telly.

are we really looking forward to playing temple run or angry birds in front of the whole family?

1. squilookle

I assume that they're banking on developers creating games with this type of device in mind. The more people buy the thing, the more incentive there will be to do that, I would guess.

But otherwise, I have no idea how touchscreen oritented games would translate to this either.

If it takes off, it could be interesting though.

2. Sampler

I downloaded GTA III the other day as it was 73p (10th Anniversary offer or something) and would say it would be suited for something like this, also games like Dead Trigger would probably work better with a controller than touching the screen - or maybe it's just me being shit at touch screen controls.

Both run fine on my HTC OneX so should be fine on this as they're similarly spec'd.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Having written a game that works both on PC and Android

I can confirm that Android is indeed capable of this. Choice of input controls should ideally be designed in from the start, but that doesn't prevent later ports. Just look at all the console games that have been ported to the PC. Games like Plants vs Zombies would be equally at home with controller, touch screen or keyboard and mouse input. Others not so much, but I think this device addresses a very real desire, and will do well.

4. RyokuMas
    Meh

"opens up the platform to indie developers like never before"

On one side, it would be vary easy to say something like "What about XBLIG and XNA? Oh, they're Microsoft, of course the Reg will ignore/slate them"... but on the other, XBLIG is horribly hidden away on the XBox dashboard.

Judgement reserved until we see just how accessible the indie side is and what the development environment(s) are like...

5. dotdavid
    Thumb Up

Even without games

It'll probably run XBMC pretty well (when the Android port is done) and so isn't a bad media centre.

1. Tom Chiverton 1
      Linux

Re: Even without games

But a Pi is cheaper for that, and works just as well running RaspBMC

6. M Gale

Was reading about this before on its Kickstarter page. It looked interesting up until the "games must be free to play" bit.

No ta. I'd rather pay for a game and own it than have a "free to play, pay to win and be bombarded with spyware throughout" version.

1. auburnman
      Stop

I thought that was "Games must have a free to play version." Which to my knowledge meant you can sell your game on OUYA if you have a free demo available. I think they're aiming for plenty of content with minimal outlay ASAP to better the OUYA's chances of taking off, not gearing developers toward the freemium model. At least I hope not.

1. M Gale

I definitely hope not. It looks like a nice piece of kit, and it'd be a shame to cripple it like that.

Mind you, I don't buy most PC games due to them being crippled with DRM either. You want my money? Make sure I own what I buy. I don't do rental-disguised-as-purchase, thanks.

7. This post has been deleted by its author

8. Mike Brown

screw android games

its all about the emulators. I shall be buying one of these simply to play SWOS, and mario.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like