back to article Samsung states sales date for Galaxy S III Mini

Samsung's Galaxy S III Mini hits UK shelves next week with a couple of free games and 50GB of Dropbox space. The bijou brother of the Korean giant's flagship smartphone features a 4in, 800 x 480 display; a dual-core 1GHz ST-Ericsson Novathor U8420 chipset all running Android 4.1 Jelly Bean. Customers have the choice of of 8GB …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Alex Walsh

Any point given the price of the Nexus 4? This looks inferior in every single way :/

1. Martin
      Happy

apart from the fact....

...that this one has a screen size suitable for those of us without hands like gibbons.

But yes, the Nexus 4 looks very interesting, screen size notwithstanding.

1. Arctic fox
        Happy

@Martin Re:"......for those of us without hands like gibbons." Indeed, although I have to say....

........that I find a four incher being described as a "mini" highly entertaining. Two years ago it would have been "oo er missus".

2. Alan Edwards
        Happy

Re: apart from the fact....

> that this one has a screen size suitable for those of us without hands like gibbons.

I thought the same thing, till I looked at the sizes. It's physically only a little bit bigger than my Orange San Diego, which is a 4-inch screen. 10mm taller, 5mm wider and if anything slightly thinner.

I think the Nexus 4 could upset a lot of phone makers plans, but I'm waiting for some reviews to see how they can make it so cheap.

3. MikeS

Re: apart from the fact....

as well as mini-mising the screen size they've also considerably mini-mised the screen resolution too.

The original S3's screen is 1280 x 720 (4.8in) 336ppi, vs the s3 mini's 480x800 (4in) 233ppi display.

so for anyone thinking its just a smaller s3 with a smaller screen, the ppi figure is important, it probably wont be anything like as clear/easy to read as the larger version.

perhaps they should have called it the S2.5 mini rather than S3 mini?

as for me like the earlier posters i'll be waiting to see the nexus 4 first.....

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Unless you like Samsung's Android skin.

2. Synonymous Howard

couldn't agree more

This Samsung is looking very 'yawn'some .. no USP and a relatively boring design ... pass.

The Google Nexus range is looking much better .. early access to latest Android versions, good build quality (not quite up at Apple's end) and a reasonably low price (definitely not at Apple's end!).

I'm debating whether the Nexus 4 is too big compared to the iPhone 5 (which is very nice to hold and use) .. so I'd want to play with one before deciding to buy or not .. but where would I go to see one?

3. sabroni Silver badge
    Happy

I love Google!

4. Afflicted.John
    FAIL

Not an S III - Mini or not.

The S III Mini is Samsung prostituting its own endeavours out. The phone has nothing to do with the S III in terms of spec and therefore should not be called an 'S III'. It will confuse punters into thinking they are getting a smaller version of a top end phone (which is a very good idea)

At that spec it is at least £100 overpriced.

Now, what Sammy should have done is really makde a 4 inch version at a bit cheaper price to stick the middle finger up at Apple. But alas...they did not.

If you want small check out some of Sony's offerings. Or the HTC One V. Everyone else can form an orderly queue for the Nexus 4.

1. Alex Walsh

Re: Not an S III - Mini or not.

It's effectively a downgraded "update" to the SII isn't it?

5. Steve Renouf
    Coat

"with other features such as S Voice, Sammy's equivalent to Apple's Siri"

Perhaps they should have gone with plain SAM or SAMI (Sammy)?

>got coat & gone>>>

6. Oliver 7
    FAIL

A 5MP camera? Are you shitting me? At next renewal I would like a phone with a 3.7in-4in screen but a good spec, is it too much to ask? Apparently so.

1. HandleOfGod

Seriously? What is it that so desperately needs more than 5MP on a phone? Years ago I had framed and mounted 15x10 (yes inches) pictures on my wall taken off 3MP shots from a compact and regular comments from people who liked them. Now, granted I didn't imagine at the time I took them that I'd blow them up that large (or I'd have dialed the camera up to its full 5MP) but the fact is they were perfectly acceptable unless you took a magnifying glass over the print at close quarters.

So if you can print at 15x10 off 3MP why would you consider 5MP to be so appalling ON A PHONE!!! I don't think the MP of my last and current phones was radically different but the quality of the pictures definitely is. It's not all about MP. With tiny lenses and sensors most phone cams just rely on OTT processing by their JPEG engine (extreme sharpening, bright hammed up colours, major distortion corrections and so on) to make the final image look good. The megapixelage is almost irrelevant.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Oh Well

Might have a punt at one of those Chinese phones, a Zopo Libero, or a Umi Mi

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like