back to article NASA's long shot shows Titan glows in the dark

A series of long-exposure photos taken of Titan have shown the solar system's second biggest moon glows in the dark of Saturn's shadow. The Cassini probe, which celebrated 15 years of operation earlier this month, has photographed the moon using exposure times of 560 seconds as it was blocked from the sun. The goal was to …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Martin Huizing
    Thumb Up

I don't pretend to know...

I humbly remain knowing there are people out there smarter and more motivated than me. What can I do but gaze at these amazing imagery thinking it is almost all wasted on me. It does inspire me to do more with my time then just watch tv shows and drinking myself stupid at tgif parties. (although I haven't touched a drop of liqueur for almost a year)

Having said that, I really would like the next generation to be more active in exploring our universe and maybe even come up with answers to questions yet to be asked. That's why I show my 3-4 year olds in my 'foreign language' classes these amazing photo's and documentaries which I have collected over the years.

1. Chris Parsons

Re: I don't pretend to know...

Yes, it's so sad that we seem to have largely stalled with space exploration. I know it all has to be paid for, but it's sad anyway.

2. Captain TickTock
    Joke

I was expecting...

IR satellite photos of ORNL's new toy ;-)

3. John Smith 19 Gold badge
    Joke

Titan. Fuel dump of the solar system.

No fracking required.

Of course the transport costs will need a bit of work.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Titan. Fuel dump of the solar system.

Didn't Tom Baker's Doctor once visit a refuelling plant on Titan only to be menaced by a giant prawn with scary eyebrows?

4. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

Actually I would LOVE to go there....

But it is REALLY, really, really fucking cold.

- 179*C

Sailing away on the methane ocean!!!! Whoooo Hooooo living in deep space paradise!!!!

OOOoooooo fuck - the nuclear battery and foot / cabin / bed warmer just died!

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhh dear.

Paris - because the shared body heat might keep you both alive about 10 minutes longer.

5. Ragarath
    Joke

Where did the Titan map come from?

Looks like it was from Sim City, Populus, Civ, or someother great game of days gone by on which a map could be generated/seen.

6. Ugotta B. Kiddingme
    Joke

Eureka's inquiring minds want to know

did the satellite photos spot the supply dump that was supposed to be for the Astraeus mission?

7. DJV Silver badge
    Thumb Up

Code of the Lifemaker

A good SF romp!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Code_of_the_Lifemaker

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

attenborough in spaaaaace

peoples brains have rotted from watching too much sci fi. We need someone to got there and touch and feel everything but they would be in a 3foot thick spacesuit. Wonder who the first astronaut to drown in an oil sea will be if the bozo's take over.

9. Luther Blissett

Neon signs point the way

They really reallyreally really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really really don't want to say p - l - a - s - m - a do they.

10. wiml
    Alien

Obvsly this is just the light from the sprawling Titanian cities.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Do the Titan inhabitants fart Oxygen?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like