back to article Asus: we ship a million Google's Nexus 7s monthly

Asus is shipping around one million Nexus 7 tablets a month, the company has claimed. Google's affordable fondleslab was hugely popular with consumers and rapidly sold out during its first product run. However, exact figures remained hazy. Now manufacturer Asus finally lifted the veil. "At the beginning, it was, for instance …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Bob Vistakin
    Mushroom

That Death Star thing..

The difference being, of course, is they are not alone. Samsung makes the new Nexus 10. After these figures are out, do you think the other manufacturers are going to let the market slip away and do nothing?

1. Mark .

Re: That Death Star thing..

Also remember that Apple have had 3 years of growth, compared to the Nexus 7 only just appearing. It was years before Apple's ipad sales grew to anything non-trivial. Whilst Apple will stagnate, Android will soon shoot way ahead - as it already has dominated on phone tablets.

Not to mention that Apple gets vast amounts of free media advertising (which it got even from before it was announced), whilst Android tablets are virtually ignored. Once coverage of Android increases, Apple will become even more an irrelevance.

These sales don't include the new Nexus 10 - specs way better than an ipad, at £80 less.

2. Joe K
    Thumb Up

Bought one yesterday after the price-drop

Within 5 minutes of opening it i had it rooted, and happily streaming MKV's off my NAS.

Can even play XCOM from my main computer using Splashtop 2.

Utterly amazing thing for £159.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Bought one yesterday after the price-drop

Yeah but you are the 0.001% - most people prefer an iPad and now with the smaller and cheaper one they have even more reasons to get one.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Thumbs down = the truth hurts.

Apple ship more that everyone else combined - sure they will catch up as people cannot resist 'cheap' even if it ends up in a drawer. Why do you think companies are reporting 90% of tablet traffic to their web sites it from Apple iPad devices - they are the ones people actually use which is even more telling than market share.

1. dotslash

is that you Joerg? Being an AC from now on eh?

Anyway, I've yet to see an iPad used for anything other than web browsing, facebook, and the occasional note taking. If you ask me, they take a lot of your money for a device which people don't do very much on.

People will soon realise they've been idiots buying into iFail.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

"is that you Joerg? Being an AC from now on eh?"

Nah, it's neither Joerg nor Obviously!, the grammar isn't mangled enough.

2. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

"anyway, I've yet to see an iPad used for anything other than web browsing, facebook,......"

You forgot looking a complete dick taking crap photo's with it.

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Please cite a credible source for this.. Please no Apple fanboy haunts like CNET...

3. Mark .

Nokia once had over 50% of smartphones, but were you or the media mentioning that when Apple's iphone sales were abysmally low, as they were for years? No, all we heard was Apple hype. So let's now hear it for the massive growth of the Google Nexus tablets.

Having over 50% of "10" non-phone tablets" isn't really a useful stat, you might as well say Apple have 100% share of ipads. When we look at mobile devices as a whole, Android still dominates.

2. Joe K
        Boffin

Yeah, thanks for that. Didn't feel like spending more than double the price for less power and functionality, but if i ever do, i'll ask you first.

3. Mark .

Newsflash - most people don't have an ipad. Most people's tablets are their smartphones, most of which run Android.

If non-phone or larger tablets become more than a niche market, it won't be because of Apple. After all, if most people wanted an ipad, why don't they already have one? No, either they don't want a tablet, or they are waiting for something different.

4. Chris Parsons

If you say so. Personally, I prefer not to be locked into Apple's money machine, but we're all different, aren't we? I like to be able to control the hardware that I have paid for.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Do you have a wife / girlfriend / life - guess not ;)

3. This post has been deleted by its author

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@AC 12:42

The same thing that happened with smartphones will happen with tablets. Apple will be reduced to second place.

This should not surprise anyone.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: @AC 12:42

It's easy to sell anything if it's cheap and you make no profit on it - Amazon are an exception but they rely on selling tons of content instead. Apple do both. A web site like this is not representative of the real world - at the same price almost anyone would buy an iPad - it's like asking someone would you like a new BMW 3 series or a Ford Fiesta (for the same price).

1. thesykes

"it's like asking someone would you like a new BMW 3 series or a Ford Fiesta"

you're right... you'd have to pay me a lot more to be seen in a BMW than a Fiesta.

1. M Gale

you're right... you'd have to pay me a lot more to be seen in a BMW than a Fiesta.

Upvoted. Not because I hate BMWs. I think their addiction to rear wheel drive is lots of fun.

However that was an awesome one-liner.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

@AC 12:53

Oh really?

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-57542628-37/iphone-users-get-less-loyal/

3. M Gale

And then you show them a decent Droidslab, one of the Nexus devices or something by Asus, and suddenly it swings the argument again.

There was a company in the 80s and 90s. Amstrad. They sold on the principle of "stack it high, sell it cheap", and did more to put a computer into people's homes than any amount of price gouging by Microsoft or Apple. This is the same thing, but 30 years later. Trying to say "well I have a Ferrari and you have an icky little 1.1L A-reg Ford Fezzbomb" is just elitism, and sounds maybe a little bit like sour grapes. I know people who have more fun in their Fiesta than you'll ever have in your delicate little Precious. That's probably what hurts the most, isn't it?

Also https://wiki.goonfleet.com/images/Dinc-noammo-ruinyourlife.jpg - just because.

4. Mark .

Well, if we're going to ignore price then sure: at the same price, I'd rather buy a £1500 Clevo laptop, or maybe a high-end Surface Pro.

Oh what's that, you're now saying it's not fair to compare more expensive products to a much cheaper ipad?

Thing is, it isn't easy to sell things cheap - because you then have to work out how to make and market that product with less revenue coming in. Apple can't do this.

(Also, even if I did want an oversized phone, a Nexus 10 is both way better and cheaper.)

5. the-it-slayer
    Facepalm

Eh?

Shipped and sold devices are two different things. Could of only sold 1, doesn't make that million shipped worth anything as it's 999,999 left in shop store cupboards across the world.

I'd really would love to know how many were... SOLD. I think the death star is in another realm to be honest unless they suddenly implode. Anyway, Android only cheats because it has multi-vendors and multi-devices. Doesn't count. Let's see one device even get close. Won't happen for years to come.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

let me fix that for you...

Anyway, Android only succeeds because it gives users choice.

There... that's better.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Eh?

"Could have".

Wince.

Plus. You're wrong. And your. Writing style is. Irritating.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Pedant.

2. the-it-slayer
        Thumb Up

Shame there's something called opinion. Personally I think the choice sucks most of the time because the software/hardware haven't been developed by the same people. Essentially meaning a poor UI experience.

iOS is still king on UI experience. If Apple had licensed iOS out to other vendors, it would swamp Android because I'm sure some said vendors would snatch at the chance to have it installed on their own hardware. Again, personal opinion.

Anon's are wimps. Thumbs up for that, even if it's the only one to left of my post.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Tried buying them in retail. THey are moving VERY quickly... You can expect that shipped (if it truly is shipped), to be very close to the SOLD.

Our web stats show 35% Android tablet vs 60% iPad (5% others).

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Remember Apple also quote figures SOLD not SHIPPED - everyone else seems to quote SHIPPED.

Remember HP disties had corners of their warehouses packed with their tomestones.

1. Badvok
      Mushroom

@AC 12:50

Remember Apple also quote figures that are just as accurate and reliable as anyone else's.

There fixed it for you.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Except - no. Apple quote sales and many others quote shipped and clearly sales are a far better indicator. Ask HP or Blackberry.

1. Badvok
          Facepalm

@AC 13:23

You seriously think that every retailer in the world who sells Apple kit has some kind of system that reports every individual retail sale? Just because Apple happen to use the term 'Sales' rather than 'Shipped' does not make their figures any more or less accurate than any others. I'll bet you a pint that the Apple 'Sales' number is actually a fairly simple calculation based on their own 'Shipped' number and their direct sales figures.

2. fandom
      FAIL

Remember Google quote figures ACTIVATED not SOLD, Apple seem to quote SOLD.

How do we know that those iPads aren't packing drawers without being used?

No, I am not serious, unfortunately the ACs who distinguish between shipped and sold are.

3. Richard Plinston

> Remember Apple also quote figures SOLD not SHIPPED - everyone else seems to quote SHIPPED.

A manufacturing company _sells_ products to distributors. It may also sell directly by having its own shops or via the internet. If it sends a container load to K-Mart then those have been sold to that company. The only other mechanism is 'on consignment' where the distributor holds stock and is only invoiced for those no longer in stock (ie have been sold to an end user).

Regardless of 'sold' or 'shipped' these still do not reflect them being in the hands of the end-user.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Bloody hell

That's a lot of devices, it really is the first Android tablet to really catch on. In a way, I am not surprised, the 16GB one was a stunning bit of kit for 200 quid, the 32 for the same price is even more impressive.

It's a fast, capable device (with a surprisingly good GPS receiver, natch), and a good size for handheld use. However, that's not always a sign that the public wil be impressed. What's more, it's mass sales of a Nexus device, which is something I never thought I'd see. I suppose 200 quid is a lot easier to justify than 600-odd for a decent iPad, if you're not sure why you want a tablet, but are furtively seduced by the shiny.

As Father Jack would say, "I'm a happy camper"- I really like my N7, and it gets a lot of use for browsing and email on the go (bluetooth tethered to my phone, which is very efficient). It's nice to see it doing well.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Bloody hell

£600 for an iPad - you mean for one with cellular, more memory a retina screen etc. - nothing like comparing like for like is there

£200 or about £60 more for an iPad Mini - tekkies will buy the Nexus - everyone else will buy the iPad - especially on their 10% off day they do pre-xmas. There is a lot more value to the iPad than just the price.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"nothing like comparing like for like is there"

nothing like an Apple fanboi feeling to need to use the reality distortion field.

if you want the OP to compare like for like, why don't you try it yourself? iPad mini 32Gb v Nexus 7 32Gb would be the comparison you want.... that's £150 more, not £60... oh and the iPad mini also has an inferior screen resolution, thanks to the lack of a decent screen (won't use the bullshit Apple marketing crap name they use).

2. hplasm
        Gimp

Re: There is a lot more value to the iPad than just the price.

No. No there isn't.

The retina display is wasted on the blinkered and the blind.

3. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"There is a lot more value to the iPad than just the price."

Like the lack of a GPS receiver? If you compare the iPad Mini like for like with an N7, it loses on everything except storage space, including price. The only advantage of larger iPads is the screen size, but according to you Apple fans, a larger screen != better, or is that being retracted now?

4. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"£600 for an iPad - you mean for one with cellular, more memory a retina screen etc. - nothing like comparing like for like is there"

I'm comparing what I paid for my iPad with what I paid for my Nexus 7, and what I feel about both. I don't give a stuff what twatty platform advocates like you think, by the by. I wasn't constructing an elaborate castle of self-justification to salve my wizened little ego by gadget purchase proxy. I was talking about what some consumer electronics cost me when I bought it.

"Techies" (as it is spelled) will buy whatever works.

5. bluest.one

Buy a Nexus 7 32GB with mobile data for yourself and a 32 GB WiFi version for the family and you'd still have a tenner left to spend on apps, compared to buying the 32 GB mobile data iPad mini.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I've got two 7's and no fruit

Bought one for No.1 for his birthday in August and have just bagged another one for No.2 for Xmas. No.3 will get a cheap clone (as will I).

Only thing missing from the Nexus7 is HDMI out, apart from that it is brilliant.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: I've got two 7's and no fruit

I love my kids so santa will be bringing them iPad Minis.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

When No.1 took his nexus to school on the first day back, one of the kids said 'is it an apple ?', just as he was about to reply, one of the older (and much cooler) kids said 'no. it's a Nexus 7, it's newer and better, can I have a go ?'.

No.1 was well chuffed that his old man reads The Reg. and picked up on the gadget of the year. The iPad mini is for seriously uncool late comers (sorry)

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

You actually call your kids 'Number 1' and 'Number 2' - just amusing.

What actually happened was your kid was crying - a younger child tried to console him by letting him play with his new iPad Mini but your kid was bereft and went to be on his own to hide the shameful device.

One of the older kids say him whimpering said took it from him (at last making your child smile) but then realised it was a Nexus and gave it back - your kid cried more than ever "my Dad doesn't love me". All the other kids laughed and filmed it on their iPhones.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

"All the other kids laughed and filmed it on their iPhones."

And then had to upgrade to iOS 6 and butcher their maps just to share it on Facebook.

2. Random Handle

>All the other kids laughed and filmed it on their iPhones.

Take it you don't know many teenagers - owning an iPhone has attracted derision since at least version 4.....kind of a bit like a technological zimmer.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"I love my kids so santa will be bringing them iPad Minis."

You love your kids so you're going to turn them into Apple fanbois?

3. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

I love my kids so santa will be bringing them iPad Minis.

Are you implying that I don't love my kids because if I will not be buying them iPads for Christmas, and/or that I am a lesser parent for not burning their budget on premium priced Apple slabs?

Wow, the bar isn't too high around here but I think you might have just managed to lowered it :/

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Ever heard of humour? Most of the posts on here are humour - on here you are either pro-Apple or pro-Android and anyone sitting on the fence gets slated by both.

1. Sorry that handle is already taken. Silver badge

Re: Ever heard of humour?

Sure. IIRC humour's generally funny.

4. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"I love my kids so santa will be bringing them iPad Minis."

Jimmy? Is that you? I smell cigars...

5. Richard Plinston

> santa will be bringing them ...

That you continue to believe in Santa, or at least, continue to keep your children believing in Santa, tells me everything that I need to know about you.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Use Miracast, which Nexus7 supports. it's a industry standard version of Airplay that works on everything but Apple.

No need for cables...

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I want a really high resolution display for reading

So I'll be getting a Nexus 10.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

1. Geoff Campbell Silver badge
        Boffin

Re: Nope

Nexus 10 is higher resolution, and higher PPI, than the iPad retina display.

Nexus 10: 2560 x 1600 and 300 PPI

iPad: 2048 x 1536 and 264 PPI

GJC

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

My Kindle has no-where-near that res and doesn't need it. Is there actually much point going over 1080p i.e. more than 1920 across - HD movies only go up to that?

Shame the Nexus 10 has no cellular yet - I like to use my tablet other places than tethered to wifi.

2. Topperfalkon

300 PPI? Surely it should be 320 PPI? That'd put it in the XHDPI bucket, as per Android standards.

1. Sorry that handle is already taken. Silver badge

Re: Topperfalcon

sqrt(2560²+1600²)/10=302

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: I want a really high resolution display for reading

Retina is just a meaningless word when it comes to DPI. See GCJ's post above. The only reason they call it "retina" is because it's roughly the DPI that a human eye can detect and it implies that Apple invented something.

Just like the screen size and aspect ratio, give it a few years and there'll be super-retina and the like.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Surely that's the point - is there much reason to have more pixels than your eye can reasonably discern at a normal viewing distance or where there is almost no content available? All my movies are 1920x1080 at best 1080p full HD.

Just strikes me as pointless having yet more pixels - guess some people would want more pixels than they can see - how about a glove with 6 finger holes?

1. M Gale

Sub-pixel accuracy. Well, sub-cone-and-rod accuracy anyway.

That's why.

Really, if the tech is going that way anyway, then whyever not use it? Games, especially polygon-based, will use whatever resolution you throw at them and are not limited by the resolution the video was recorded at. Plus give it a couple of years and you'll be downloading 2K and 4K movies, you mark my words.

1. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

That's just stupid. If they sell you a 4K movie and you view it on a 10" tablet and think that it having 4K resolution will make any difference over 2560x1600 you're even more of a sucker than you probably consider Apple buyers to be. If you can't see the extra pixels they're just wasting GPU performance and battery. Or did you think pushing around all those extra pixels was free?

1. M Gale

I'll give you an experiment:

Render an image at 10Kx10K.

Render the same image at 100x100.

Now scale the 10Kx10K image down to 100x100.

In most cases, the scaled image will look nicer.

You know how FSAA works right? A simple version of 8x FSAA basically goes "render the image 8x larger than it should be, then use intelligent sampling/scaling algorithms to fit it to the screen".

It's why FSAA eats the shit out of your GPU, but it's worth turning on if you can render at a good frame rate. As to whether you'll be buying 2K or 4K movies, well it depends on whether there is anything else. Especially if it's the same price and doesn't come with extra-odious DRM, you'd be a fool not to.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

When I bought my iPad over a year ago it was really no contest between the available 'droids and the iPad. If I would have to make the same choice today I'm not so sure the iPad would ome out on top. the 'droid tablets have come a long way in a year, for sure.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"When I bought my iPad over a year ago it was really no contest between the available 'droids and the iPad. If I would have to make the same choice today I'm not so sure the iPad would ome out on top. the 'droid tablets have come a long way in a year, for sure."

Yep, I bought the most capacious iPad wifi model for about 600 quid, as I wanted something with better battery life and portability than a laptop, that was less cramped than my phone.. Down the road, the Nexus 7 came out, for 200 quid, and was.. an affordable Nexus class tablet with similar performance. Sadly, my Inner geek made me (made me, mark you) buy the latter too, as a shiny shiny toy.

The Nexus gets a lot more use than the iPad, as it goes. I suspect that had they both been on the market at once, I wouldn't have bothered with the iPad.

11. Big_Ted
    Headmaster

Just to correct some of you.....

Asus make and SALE the Nexus to Google, Currys etc so these are sales to them.

OK Apple quote numbers sold to consumers but I will lay odds that most of the Nexus tablets are getting sold pretty quickly otherwise Asus would not be getting any more orders let alone bigger ones.

And finally @ AC 12:49 your talking total crap, more Android tablets are being sold than iPads, ok so that includes the cheap Chinese ones but its still more sold.....

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Interesting read

Putting All Of This “Fanboy/Fangirl” Nonsense To Rest Once And For All:

http://techcrunch.com/2012/10/31/putting-all-of-this-fanboyfangirl-nonsense-to-rest-once-and-for-all/

13. uhuznaa

Isn't it ironic?

The Register for a change has an article here that is not straight about an Apple product or Apple as a company and still the comments are -- all about Apple.

Positive or negative, I'm about to end my subscription to the feed since there's much too much Apple going on here. People seem to be obsessed with Apple. Nowadays I can tolerate the most silly, naive and glowing Apple fanboi almost better than all this hate, since he's at least positive and harmless, while what is going on here is purely negative obsession and hate. And so much of it.

If you don't care for Apple, just ignore them and their products, please. Care for what you like and use and buy. I really can't stand it anymore.

1. M Gale

Re: Isn't it ironic?

Don't you mean the comments section of a Nexus 7 article got hijacked by a few sour Apples, and the rest of us are too busy laughing to pour on any real amount of hate?

Really, if you don't care for Android, just ignore it and the gazillions of manufacturers that produce devices running it, please. Care for what you like and use and buy.. or come on here and and say how your Ferrari is so much better than my Fiesta, or something. I really can stand lots more.

14. Alan Denman

Walled gardens don't need no maps

Fondling £449 versus the £200 32GB wit GPS NExus it is wise to forget that maps exist and instead plump for the £349 GPS free 32GB iPad Mini.

Fools and their money ............

15. JeffyPooh
    Pint

Memo to idiot fanbois

I understand that with mobile phones, with their monthly bills slowly adding to infinity, one must choose one or the other or the other. No normal, middle-class human can afford two. Thus one is forced to choose, drink the kool aid, and (by associated) become a fanboi of one brand or the other.

This does not apply to a wifi-only tablet where it's a one-time cost - in the case of the Nexus, a trivial petty cash one-time cost. Granted, a tablet is more expensive than a bottle of wine, but it's massively less expensive than a bottle of wine per week.

I have an iPhone. I have a Nexus tablet. I even have a RIM PlayBook. It's truly fantastic to be able to explore all the ecosystems. Vastly, monumentally, unfricken-believably better than being constrained to just one.

I would have bought an iPad mini, except it's crap (2nd rate hardware, no GPS, almost embarrassing). I will probably buy an iPad Mini 2, assuming they make it less crap.

On the other hand, my wife needs a new phone, so probably iPhone 5.

Being an argumentative fanboi is immature and daft. It's vastly better to sample the benefits of all the ecosystems. Tablets, lacking monthly fees, make that easy and affordable.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like