back to article TalkTalk to Ofcom: 'Talented, lovely monopolist' BT must be reeled in

While broadband minister Ed Vaizey insisted this morning that competition remained active in the dash to grab public sector cash aimed at the deployment of faster fibre networks across Britain, TalkTalk's boss is worried about the lack of rivalry in the business. National telco BT remains the only operator to have secured …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Pen-y-gors

But...

no matter how bad we think BT may be (at times), compared to Talk-Talk they are perfect and godlike beings. Under no circumstances should a single farthing of public money ever be directed towards TalkTalk's coffers.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: But...

Talktalk is run on a shoestring simply because many operators are trying to make a profit and it is hard for them to do so when they're providing a BT wholesale service and slapping a few pennies on top of the price.

Not every phone exchange in the country has local loop unbundling.

1. TheManCalledStan
        Meh

But local loop unbundling is down to the alternative supplier investing and putting their equipment in the exchange and compete. BT has no influence there at all... they have to let alt suppliers into exchanges.

The absence of real competition is down to alternative suppliers not investing in a competing infrastructure like Virgin Media. Only thing is VM is happy at the size it is because they don't have to wholesale.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Speaking as someone who had years of dire & expensive service from BT, and jumped to TalkTalk as soon as LLU was viable, TalkTalk has been on average a lot better than the service I had from BT, and a shedload cheaper. My friends with BT broadband complain about it far more than I do..

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

dissapointed

the usual El 'Reg monkier for DCMS (Department of Fun) was not used in this article.

1. Dr. Mouse

Re: dissapointed

Surely you mean Ministry of Fun?

Personally, I think that's still too long. I propose we start calling it Minifun (in line with current government policy direction).

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Never mind all this broadband nonsense

Did she mention a release date for her next album?

4. Flocke Kroes Silver badge

When do we get the £680m back?

So tax payers buy some fibre for £680m. BT then rents the tax payers own fibre back to the tax payers. Then BT pays back the £680m when erm err ... never.

I could understand buying some fibre, then tendering out some maintenance contracts to the lowest competent bidders. I cannot understand giving the fibre to a monopoly.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Trouble with talktalk is they sell everything so cheap they never make any profit to invest in new stuff, so they have to rely on BT Openreach to invest for them and then complain BT have an unfair advantage. Which they probably do, but that's not entirely the point.

6. Lost in Cyberspace

Any fibre would be a nice start

Coming to a green box near me soon...

Was September 2010

Then December 2012

Now 31 December 2013

2014? 2015? Never?

7. ad47uk
    Devil

Both companies as bad as each other to be honest. i am glad I am away from Bt and Talk Talk.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Come on Google, I'll take your 1Gb symmetric fiber

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Wouldn't describe copper as 'vibrantly competitive'.

Eight years ago there were 300 companies. Now there are a dozen and the big few hold 95% of the market. That isn't competition.

10. philbo
    Happy

She's right about one thing...

Liv Garfield is very talented and lovely.

11. TheresaJayne
    WTF?

Well when will the government force BT to give people normal broadband, For instance the Plaistow Exchange in Surrey/Sussex a stones throw from the Top Gear Test Track, has not even got ISDN and are stuck using 14400 Baud Dialup,

BT has said that the exchange is too small for upgrade and will never get LLU or ISDN let alone Fibre.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like