back to article Hurricane Sandy blows away Gizmodo, HuffPo, various other blogs

Hurricane Sandy has taken out five of New York's biggest blogsites - the Huffington Post and all its global offshoots; Buzzfeed; and the Gawker portfolio - Gizmodo US, Gawker, Jezebel. The downtime was reported from 1900 Eastern Daylight Time (2300 GMT) last night. Visits to the blogs currently call up a host of "connection …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Studley

United Nations website offline too

Down for everyone. Conspiracy theories about the hurricane being a man-made weather weapon, like a bad S(ci|y)-F(i|y) Channel movie?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: United Nations website offline too

"Conspiracy theories about the hurricane being a man-made weather weapon, like a bad S(ci|y)-F(i|y) Channel movie?"

People watch and believe everything they see. They know its a telly program and is fictional but still believe what they see/read/hear.

I believe nothing humans tell me. 99.99999% are thick as pigs shite.

1. 404

Bette Midler says it Global Warming

So it must be true.

;)

2. Anonymous Coward
        FAIL

"I believe nothing humans tell me. 99.99999% are thick as pigs shite."

Says the man who can't even get basic grammar correct. "are AS thick as pigs shite"

2. James Micallef Silver badge

"Conspiracy theories about the hurricane being a man-made weather weapon"

Cue the next Bond film?

3. Anonymous Coward
      Happy

And the Huffington Post?

Like as if that piece of shit rag is worth being concerned about.

2. An0n C0w4rd

That is the exact same description as the problem at the Internap LGA11 post. Is Datagram at Internap?

3. SJRulez
    Thumb Up

Well at least something positive has come out out this storm, Huff post is down!

4. Aldous
    WTF?

any reason for non financials to use new york (expensive, floodable, high profle) DC's rather than ones in the middle of nowhere?

1. Nate Amsden

reason

obvious reason is convenience. When shit breaks, or when your making changes to hardware (add/remove/upgrade) it's really nice to have it local to your staff.

1. Anonymous Coward
        WTF?

Re: reason

"obvious reason is convenience. When shit breaks, or when your making changes to hardware (add/remove/upgrade) it's really nice to have it local to your staff."

You generally hire staff willing to work where your business is. You don't generally move your business to where some staff are prepared to work.

5. Gordon Pryra

@Aldous

Who said their DC was expensive?

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Pearson Higher Ed sites are down too

They too are hosted out of NYC... Kids hoping(!) to take Economics tests may be disappointed.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Absolutely unacceptable

How am I supposed to keep up to the minute with Lindsay Lohan news without Gawker?

Perhaps El Reg can step into the breach in the meantime?

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

EXCELLENT NEWS!

I would pay a $5 a month to keep the Gawker cesspool down.

1. solidsoup
      Devil

Yes!

I think you're onto something here. There are definitely a few sites that may be worthwhile to keep off the web and plenty of people will pay. I'd also join you in $5 for Gawker. But we can go further. Daily Mail will warrant 10 quid and HuffPo a whopping $29.99/month. It's quite likely that all these sites will make more money from users who DON'T want their content available.

9. jubtastic1
    Devil

'One size fits all' BOFH excuse for the day (or week)

Sandy shorted the power at the datacenter, ripped up the Atlantic cable, has taken down the sat links, destroyed the data repeaters, flooded the internet pipes, is jamming the wifi...

"What's that, your printer isn't working and there's a flashing red light next to a 'drop' symbol? That will be the automatic storm protection kicking in, try and locate a working printer in a more protected part of the building, thank you for bothering IT support, have a nice day"

10. TeeCee Gold badge

Impact?

Is there any?

I mean seriously, has anyone noticed any problems caused by these sites being unavailable? Is there anything even vaguely important they do? If there isn't, you have to suspect the the sum total of their worth is actually, er, sod all.......

11. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

What? Nothing about a hard blow knocking down blowhards?

What? Nothing about a hard blow knocking down blowhards? What is this site coming to?

12. ElNumbre
    WTF?

NuMedia = Badly Designed Infrastructure

What is it with all these new media companies having single data centres?

If your business model requires you to serve web content to customers, then you should prepare for the the worst you can afford. At a minimum buy rackspace or virtual min in at least two DC's geographically seperated from different providers. It's not massively expensive, it's not massively complicated, so why arn't the VC people funding it?

1. unitron
      FAIL

Re: NuMedia = Badly Designed Infrastructure

Huffington Post's New York location had a backup site.

Way far away in New Jersey.

13. Anonymous Coward
    Unhappy

So much for the internet routing around problems

Can't even handle a bit of flooding. Still, if you're going to put your important gear in the basement which obviously is going to flood first...

This topic is closed for new posts.