back to article BridgeSTOR: They called us mad, but we've put deduped data on TAPE!

BridgeSTOR has announced it will store deduplicated data on tape, a medium considered totally unsuitable for deduplication by everybody else. John Matze said his company's Data Deduplication File System (DDFS) works with the open Linear Tape File System (LTFS) so that deduped data on tape can be rehydrated and restored. Matze …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Tom Maddox Silver badge
    Go

Interesting

I see this working with an in-line deduplication appliance that stages the data to disk, deduplicates it, then writes out the compressed data and, critically, the deduplication index. It seems like you would lose some raw throughput, but that's probably compensated by not having to write as much data to tape in the first place.

2. Archivist

Perhaps I've missed something...

Can someone please explain to me how this is better than using the built-in hardware's "compress on the fly when possible" that LTO-5 LTFS hardware already uses. Thank you.

1. Aitor 1

Re: Perhaps I've missed something...

I will.

Compress: 3:1 with lots of luck.

Dedupe: 10:1 for user data. and THEN compress.

you willl always compress..

1. Anonymous Coward
        WTF?

10:1 for user data

What are you smoking? Unless everyone is storing identical PDF files or the email software keeps a separate copy of attachments that are mailed to large cc lists, I don't see how you can achieve this. Dedupe is more typically a win on full disk backups that include a lot of identical OS/application files.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Re: What are you smoking?

What are YOU smoking?

Dedupe should take place at least at block level if not byte level - then huge savings can be made in terms of storage.

Read up on it.

2. Lars Silver badge
      Pint

Re: Perhaps I've missed something...

This Wikipedia text is rather good. I suppose tape will always be slow but that perhaps is a lesser problem compared to what can be gained in capacity and lower costs.

And compress can and will be used too, I suppose.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Data_deduplication

3. Volker Hett
    Mushroom

I wouldn't touch that with a 10 feet pole! Easier and faster to backup do /dev/null.

Nuclear, because ...

4. seven of five
    Stop

Mad: no.

Reckless: YES!

This topic is closed for new posts.