back to article ICANN grills domain-hogging Network Solutions

Is Network Solutions attempting to reinvent reality? ICANN's looking into it. Last week, at its meeting in New Delhi, the Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers grilled the popular domain registrar about its recent efforts to protect/bilk loyal customers. Network Solutions is now self-registering domains its …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Corrupt bastards

The fact that ICANN after so long still hasn't managed to remove the add-grace-period (AGP) says it all. People on the board must have a stake in commercial entities operating in the DNS-trade. What other explanation is there?

2. Chris C

Give us money

So Network Solutions admits that *IT* has a problem. It admits that it does not effectively monitor its own servers and that third parties are (illegally?) accessing and monitoring its servers, and that this monitoring is responsible for this "front running". So instead of fixing their network, they're preventing people from registering domains at other registrars, and doing exactly the thing they say they are protecting people from? So they profit from it *AND* they don't have to fix their network. Yeah, that'll convince me to use their services. How does this make them any different than the miscreants they're supposedly "protecting" people from?

3. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

How long do we have?

What's the delay?

For example, if I search for a domain name, and then immediately go to purchase it, will it be already "reserved" by the time I reach the purchase page?

So if I ran a scripted search, for domains "network-solutions-are-a-corrupt-bunch-of-cunts-000000" to "network-solutions-are-a-corrupt-bunch-of-cunts-199999" will they reserve these domains for me?

Possibly they can go one step further, and do *predictive* 'reservations', and also 'reserve' the numbers 200000 through 299999.? Would be considerate of them, wouldnt it?

(paris because id like to "engage in tasting her domain".. did i just say that?)

4. Dafydd Lawrence

They get a phone call the next day???

How on earth would they get a phone call? If someone does a search they don't leave their phone number first - or even their contact details. UNLESS the person searching is already a customer of Network Solutions and has logged in.

In that case only Network Solutions could be phoning them or they have a big security breach on their database, there is an inside person working for Network Solutions that is passing off the data to a third party.

This is more worrying than originally thought.

5. Vince
    Pirate

what's the delay... not much.

"What's the delay?"

A couple minutes at most from what I've seen, usually near instantly.

"So if I ran a scripted search, for domains "network-solutions-are-a-corrupt-bunch-of-cunts-000000" to "network-solutions-are-a-corrupt-bunch-of-cunts-199999" will they reserve these domains for me?"

Yep :-)

"Possibly they can go one step further, and do *predictive* 'reservations', and also 'reserve' the numbers 200000 through 299999.? Would be considerate of them, wouldnt it?"

They don't get, so sussshhh!

6. Anonymous Coward
    Black Helicopters

"You can't see the evidence"

Sounds remarkably like something his Georgeness did recently -- is he involved in Network Solutions? Or maybe the US guvment?

7. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Up

no surprise there

i'd always kind of assumed domain registers would do this anyway. it seemed to me an obvious ploy to set up a domain availability checker and then collect data about the domains people were 'checking out'.

neither can i say i'm altogether surprised to find that it's netsol who are doing it. they've always struck me as a sleazy, price-hiking organisation - which is why i've removed all my domains from their control and switched them to godaddy and enom.

8. Josh
    Paris Hilton

domain tasting

Domain tasting/stealing is a huge problem. See also:

http://pocketseo.com/domains/7

This topic is closed for new posts.