back to article Granny upstages Microsoft, storms stage at Surface launch

The big launch of Microsoft’s Surface slab got off to an inauspicious start in Beijing after an elderly couple invaded the stage in an attempt to halt proceedings. Redmond launched the Windows RT tablet-cum-laptop device at a series of events starting at midnight across the country in partnership with retail giant Suning. …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It gets worse

They got caught faking demand for Windows8 and Surface, paying Microsoft employess to stand in line for fake pre-launch queues (in the same way they did for the Xbox360 London HMV launch in 2005).

http://www.theatlanticwire.com/technology/2012/10/microsoft-fakes-excitement-its-surface-tablet-launch/58417/#

1. Bob Vistakin
      Facepalm

Re: It gets worse

The gift that just keeps on giving. And no-one outside the microsoft shill bubble has seen it yet - wait till the real reviews from real users start.

1. Shakje

Because no positive review could be anything other than a shill?

Some positive reviews, some negative, different people have different opinions. It will be good to see some user reviews, but if you're going to dismiss anything that says anything positive, it's just a bit sad.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Bob, I always thought that you were the MS shill bubble, just an elaborate double bluff. Your incoherent rage directed at what is just software that you don't like is so comically over the top that it surely can't possibly be real?

1. Arctic fox
          Meh

@AC 29th Oct 12.52 RE "Bob, I always thought that you were the MS shill bubble"

No, he hates Cupertino as well, however he clearly does not mind as long as it is anti-Redmond (whom he hates even more). Hypocritical? Of course, but "the enemy of my enemy is my ally" and all that. It does not make for very honest or consistent debate but hey, who expects that with these issues?

3. Paul Shirley

How convenient the queuing happened in quiet time on Internet forums, leaving shills free to take a break from carpet bombing PR bullshit everywhere ;)

Still, they got back in time to organise a spirited defence in that articles comments...

This 'real user' is finding more broken stuff every day in the release build. I'm eyeing my spare parts pile, if I can cobble together a MythTV box from it Win8 might not survive the week. It broke so much of my software and hardware (*) I might as well switch to 'any other' OS and just duel boot for gaming.

(*) apparently hardware is "supported" if drivers don't crash Win8 - whether the device works they don't seem to check. It remains easy to load bad drivers and watch Win8 burn. A lot.

1. PaulR79
          Headmaster

@Paul Shirley

I wish you luck in your duel with the evil boot.

2. Arctic fox
      Thumb Down

No, what is worse on this occasion is an AC passing off the allegations of a well known Apple fanatic/blogger as if it were genuine news reportage. I am not suggesting that MS are Sunday school boys or that they might not "try it on" in an effort to generate attention, however your link as any kind of "proof" is worthless. Interestingly enough if one takes a look at the thread attached to the article his readers are generally speaking unimpressed - to put it mildly.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Like this you mean?

http://www.zdnet.com/three-days-in-the-life-of-a-once-and-former-microsoft-surface-rt-user-7000006421/

The only part he got wrong, is where they bought the iPad. Should have got a Nexus7/Nexus10 instead...

1. Bob Vistakin
        Facepalm

@AC 14:01 Yes, that shows handsomely microsoft are up to their old tricks again.

They think their new turd has been polished with marketing money just enough so no-one can tell what a stinker it is. As this story shows, it will catch out a few gullibles before word gets out, but at least they back tracked their original evil stance and offer refunds.

With all this "new Windows devices don't run Windows software" confusion, and fewer apps than Babbages mark 1 analytical engine, it looks destined to never trouble the needle of market share in the same way WP8 doesn't.

4. MIc
      FAIL

@AC that article is crap. all conjecture no actual proof. And of course stores by MS are going to be busy. Home field advantage.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Granny?...

I don't think so. That was obviously the local enfant terrible rapper, a pre-requisite at all Microsoft shindigs, these days.

3. Purlieu

Dancing girls ?

Fucking hell Microsoft what century is this ?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Dancing girls ?

Yeah exactly, why so much clothing on? :s

2. Goldmember

It's still the 20th Century in China

1. fandom
        Headmaster

Actually in China, it is something like the 47th century

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Thanks for that. I have noticed Microsoft is using "Dancing Girls" more and more in their venues. That means MS execs actually sat around and had to come up with what would be the most appropriate things to have at launch and "Dancing Girls" or "exotic dancing talent" was considered and approved for the budget. From what I have seen, they are all d grade dancers, so what do they expect to convey? The main thing Dancing Girls convey is sexuality ... so, Microsoft is sexaaahhh. Oh yea, sexxxaaahhhhh.

4. wowfood
    FAIL

It's a hardware issue not a software one.

It's the hardware's fault because our software doesn't support it properly. It isn't our fault that the hardware we designed this OS for doesn't have support yet, honest.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: It's a hardware issue not a software one.

Don't forget that if your app crashes it would find its way into the Windows store, but Microsoft will happily "certify" hardware that causes Windows to crash.

5. AJ MacLeod

I have every sympathy with the woman - I'm sure Ballmer might have a few chairs to say if you set up a stage in his garden and blasted rubbish music at him when he was trying to sleep.

1. Shane 4
      Megaphone

Noise

Couldn't agree more! Good on her.

I have had to deal with young dickheads in my residential street who seem to think it's ok to play music as loud as they like at any time, Police around and fined by the council soon shut them up. Turn the bass down dipshits it's not a nightclub district, It sounds shithouse so out of tune and is causing you tinnitus,First stage of permanent hearing loss, Won't be laughing when you turn 30! huh what hey pardon?

6. Miek
    Linux

“It is a hardware issue, rather than a software one. It’s partly because of the large screen size of the all-in-ones.” -- Yeah, partly that Windows 8 is crap on large screens and partly because Windows 8 is crap.

1. jai

Windows 8 doesn't work well on large screens? So it really was built solely for tablets and with the desktop side just shoe-horned in as an after thought.

1. MIc

DELL 27" all in one

I played with one of those for a while. Seemed quite nice.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I'm guessing we won't be seeing "Retina" resolutions on Windows PCs any time soon.

7. Mage Silver badge

large screen size

Ah ha!

So they admit it. Win8 is only any use on Tablets.

Al-in-ones don't have particularly high resolution, Monitors surpassed 1920x1080 TV's HD over a decade ago. Physical size is not relevant to SW, only number of pixels. So what about 150dpi & higher Tablets?

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Brilliant

That's just one of the best things I've ever seen.

9. Moeluk

Does anyone get the feeling that Windows 8 and Surface RT is just turning into one huge Clusterf*ck for Microsoft?

1. wowfood

No, but I am getting the distinct feeling that Barmy Ballmer secretly works for apple.

2. This post has been deleted by its author

10. Mahou Saru

I knew Asian parents were bad...

Didn't consider that the grandparents would be Asian parents squared oO

11. BorkedAgain
    Thumb Up

The spirit of Ballmer is strong with these guards.

They even had a chair ready at 0:32...

12. Anonymous Custard
    FAIL

Blame the hardware?

Unsurprisingly, Redmond blamed the hardware.

Umm, this was a Surface launch - Microsoft make the bloody hardware don't they?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Blame the hardware?

"Umm, this was a Surface launch - Microsoft make the bloody hardware don't they?"

This is The Register, where precision is merely a matter of curiosity- by "Surface Launch", they might have meant "Windows RT launch" or almost anything else :P

1. wowfood
        Facepalm

Re: Blame the hardware?

Actually that was the surface launch in the video, which took place in beijing china.

---------------------

Things went from bad to worse for the software giant in Asia after reports emerged that a high-profile live public demonstration of Windows 8 in downtown Taipei fell flat when the OS cocked up on some devices. Microsoft staff apparently had trouble closing apps on several all-in-one PCs and instead were forced to demo the new OS on tablets.

-------------------

Note, Taipei is not beijing. And it states a public windows 8 demonstration rather than a surface event.

13. Winkypop Silver badge
    Coat

These Apple groupies are starting to age

Granny Smith?

14. Mondo the Magnificent
    Devil

Punishment...

..will comprise of 6 months of "hard labour" at the local Foxconn plant where she'll be assembling shiny tech items that will be sold in the West for vast profits...

15. GrumpyJoe
    Thumb Up

I'll say one thing..

Those girls are PROFESSIONAL!

"The show must go on!"

16. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Terrible security

Must have hired those security guards from G4S.

For starters the woman should never have been able to get onto the stage in the first place. But then needing two people to drag away one elderly woman, because the one on his own looked like he was getting overpowered. Followed by 5 more to drag away an elderly man?

I mean honestly. Steven hawkins could have done a better job on security than those guys.

1. disgruntled yank

Re: Terrible security

Steven Hawkins? Would he send her to the Black Hole of Calcutta?

17. heyrick Silver badge

It's a hardware issue?

UM... The display...is. It's a display. It's the software that makes pretty pictures appear. Thus, surely the fault lies squarely with the software?

That said, this is a good reason why deadlines should be a couple of weeks before the demo, not the morning of...

18. harmjschoonhoven
    Mushroom

Selfdefense

The guard could be floored by the Taiwanese lady at 0:14. Every woman should be able to defend herself. My mother learned Ju-Jutsu during WW II and practised the ticks half a century later.

http://www.utrecht.nl/images/DWS/Overvecht/PDF/Dreefnieuws/Dreefnieuws_oktober_2012.pdf (pp 12,13 in Dutch).

19. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

GERIATRICS GERIATRICS GERIATRICS!!

Balmers lost the cool kids to Apple maybe he's going after the elderly folk?

20. Cardinal
    WTF?

Just 'cos this is a Win8 topic

I've recently received an MS email (presumably along with millions of other potential users) entitled "Introducing Windows 8". Included is a section on "How to Use Apps," which I thought might be interesting as I don't use a smartphone but have ordered the £50 version of Win8 Pro from PC World.

On opening the relevant page I was informed that I needed Silverlight to access the info and to click if I wanted to install. Clicking the link then informed me that "Microsoft Silverlight cannot be used in browsers running in 64 bit mode."

I have 3 computers all running 64bit Windows. Do I really have to install a 32bit Windows to access MS information (from an MS email) about their new flagship OS? - I am intending to install the 64bit version of Win8 when I get it!

Is it me going Crackerdog or what?

1. Benchops

Re: Just 'cos this is a Win8 topic

what

2. Cardinal
      FAIL

As the tide of indignation ebbs away, just noticed the relevant word "browsers" - knew I should have posted anonymously!

I use Pale Moon which is the 64bit version of Firefox.

Presumably have to install ordinary Firefox. Oh well!

1. Wild Bill

Or just use Internet Explorer as a one off?

1. Cardinal
          Black Helicopters

Think I'd rather install Firefox - that double tab look of IE gives me the shudders!

21. Martin Huizing
    FAIL

Microsoft does this again and again...

There is no such thing as bad publicity...

Remember that 'blue screen' fiasco at the launch of Win95? If you look at the original clip the blue screen came in as an overlay from right to left with parts of the original 'graphic mode' screen behind it.

http://www.dumpert.nl/mediabase/1624001/dbe45298/uit_het_archief.html

All my bsod's never behaved like that...

22. AlexS
    Joke

She couldn't wait...

... to test the gestures.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like