back to article Jimmy Savile ringtones still selling like hot cakes on iTunes

The theme tune to Jimmy Savile's Jim'll Fix It is one of the top selling iPhone ringtones. The iTunes Ringtone store, comedy top ten, screengrab Now then, now then: the iTunes comedy chart Despite public outcry over revelations of Savile's child abusing past, the £0.99 jingle is outselling the "laughing chipmunk", a Jack …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. NomNomNom

So if I hear this ringtone and contact the police to report someone playing an offensive ringtone they may well arrest the person on a public order offense.

1. Psyx
      Pint

"So if I hear this ringtone and contact the police to report someone playing an offensive ringtone they may well arrest the person on a public order offense."

No, because it's not offensive: It's a theme song for an old TV series, hosted by someone UNDER INVESTIGATION AND NOT EVEN LEGALLY YET GUILTY OF crimes. The offence is due to inference that you make. I'm not saying he's innocent: I'm just saying that it's not offensive.

You seriously think this is offensive, yet 'C&^t calling' is unworthy of comment or offence?

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Whilst at face value it seems a bit sick I don't think you can tar Lynda Hayes (maybe) with that brush as she only sung the theme tune that was written by David Mindel

3. Triggerfish

Think thats bad

I'm selling Saville masks for Halloween, that should scare the trick or treaters.

1. PaulR79

Re: Think thats bad

That's awful..... and I'm awful for laughing at it.

2. Andrew James

To be fair, it might scare the parent of the kid if the parent was someone that Saville (allegedly, but more than likely) fiddled with back in their youth. But the kid themselves is as likely to be scared of any old man mask ... since they will have little or no idea who he was.

1. Triggerfish

Aw man take the fun out if it.

Although on that point, imagine if you gave them to all the kids it would look like the Aphex Twin, Come to Daddy vid.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Now if only they were zombie Saville masks. They would realy sell well in our times.

Bankers and MP's must be loving this whole Saville affair, taken so much focus media wise of them.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Just start a rumour in the tabloid press that it's the pædo equivalent of the "special handshake" rumoured to be used by the Freemsons. Anyone who's phone rings with that tune MUST be a pervert. Should kill the downloads stone dead...

1. MJI Silver badge

Thats was similar to the technique used to

get rid of blue LED lights on cars.

I think it was a gay dating thing, they invented.

1. MrT
        Trollface

Fairy lights...

... a lot of Saxo drivers hereabouts didn't get that memo.

5. Not also known as SC
    FAIL

Fail on censorship

I find the attempt at censorship for #3 funnier than any of the ring tones.

In the article it is described as 'c*nt calling', in the iTunes store page they have 'c**t calling', but the logo next to it clearly displays the full text 'cunt calling'.

Anyway shouldn't it be 'answering' instead of calling?

6. Cosmo
    Devil

Wait. What?

People still buy ringtones? I haven't bought a ringtone since I bought The Flintstones for my Nokia 3410!

1. MJI Silver badge

Re: Wait. What?

I haev never bought any, but managed to find a ring ring for my work phone.

7. Mike Judge
    Stop

Wow, iTune/iPhone

Is this typical of what the hipsers buy?

As to me, it sounds like the chavs have moved in, and the iPhone is now the choice of Burberry clad chavsters.

1. LinkOfHyrule
      Joke

Re: Wow, iTune/iPhone

What do you mean "now" lol

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Just shows you

What a sick society we live in and while I'm no puritan this is a bit much, apparently people are also trading Jim'll Fix it badges on ebay or so I heard from a colleague.

I want them to dig the bastard up, tow him out to the middle of the English Channel and let what remains of the Royal Navy have some target practice.

I know it sounds harsh but the problem now is that anyone who does anything good for it's own sake because they are a human being (remember them, we are few and far between these days) will be looked at with suspicion as to what their ulterior motive is which is extremely sad in my opinion.

1. Psyx
      Pint

Re: Just shows you

"I want them to dig the bastard up, tow him out to the middle of the English Channel and let what remains of the Royal Navy have some target practice."

He hasn't been found guilty of anything yet.

Or is it fine to punish people before then now (then now then)?

1. Ken Hagan Gold badge

Re: He hasn't been found guilty of anything yet.

He isn't ever going to be "found guilty" of anything now, since no-one will bother to prosecute someone who is dead. I suppose he might be found "guilty by implication" if some other decision is logically dependent on an assumption of his guilt.

But what do I know? I'm not even able to understand why anyone would want to pay real money for a Jim'll Fix It ring-tone.

1. Dave 15

The legal niceties don't apply, the BBC have apologized to his 'victims' (even those that went back for second and third goes), the government are baying for blood and the journalists have all decided he is guilty as smeared. Whether or not he did anything several hundred people have hit the jackpot with claims - I am considering adding to the list just to see if I can screw some of my licence fee back out of the bbc.

Of course this will all result in even more laws to 'ensure it doesn't happen again' - all of which will put off yet more genuine people from running youth clubs, giving someone a lift, coaching in a sports club, or even helping a kid after they've been injured in the street.

1. Anonymous Coward 101

Yep, just like the 'care home scandal' of the nineties. An awful lot of witch hunting, an awful lot of compensation, very few convictions. I'm willing to bet that a massive proportion of the accusations against Savile have no foundation, and would be torn up by a decent defence barrister in a court, not that Jimmy Savile will get see a court.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Ripping apart a dead body isn't punishment.

It's a dead body. Meaningless empty. Your desire to protect it is as daft as the other guys desire to punish it.

Unless your a weird god person.

In which case you are just nuts

2. Dave 15

Can't do that, the poor old Royal Navy can't afford ammunition for their rowing boat anyway (apparently they sail the world without any missiles in order to 'save money' - fat lot of use if ever there really is a war),...

Although, one idea, perhaps they could disentagle HMS Victory from all the 'elf and safety' extra wires, patch up the politically correct hole in her side (for allowing the disabled wheel chairs on board) and sail her out and fire one of her guns - I am sure we could have a whip round for the gun powder and those guns will take just about anything and fire it...

3. Anonymous Coward
      Boffin

I hate to burst your bubble, but the remains of JS are merely a machine. The being that was Jimmy Savile expired a few minutes after lack of oxygen began to degrade the electro-chemical state within his neural cortex.

In addition I can't see what benefit your suggestion would give, it's not as if disintegrating decaying organic matter is going to change the past or give any comfort to those affected by his actions when he was alive.

9. Purlieu

Perhaps

Parhaps, dear brave AC, we sould hold off on the "dig the bastard up, tow him out to ... etc" until he's actually been found guilty of anything. Oh wait ...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Headmaster

Re: Perhaps

He can never be "found guilty" since I believe it isn't common practice to put a corpse on trial.

1. Tom 38
  10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Eh

I'm a bit confused here - why is it ok to take the piss and joke about a evil bastard who abused hundreds of children, but if you make a sick joke about a murdered girl on facebook you get arrested?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Eh

Because taking the piss out of an abuser is "fair game" but make a joke of a murder victim is cruel?

2. Tom 38
      Stop

Allegedly evil bastard who allegedly abused hundreds of children.

I find this whole episode unseemly.There was adequate time between these alleged offences for people to report them, doing so after the accused is no longer vital is just tacky.

De mortuis nil nisi bonum old boy.

1. mark 63 Silver badge

I think its good that the full extent is coming out.

That way his grave is sufficiently pissed on.

and as for the "alledgedly" and innocent until proven guilty! - F*** that , look at the weight of "evidence"

1. Tom 38
          Stop

I've not seen any evidence, you haven't seen any evidence. I'd be surprised if the police have seen any evidence.

I've seen that the police have lots of "inquiries" ongoing in to things that happened in the 70s. Most of these, without independent corroboration, will boil down to "she said, he said", except that the "he" is dead and cannot say anything. This is why, "of the dead, speak nothing except good".

Re-hashing this shit does no good to the alleged victims, no good to the alleged offenders family, no good to his charitable legacy. The only people who benefit from this navel gazing shit storm are the media and their prurient brain washed readership.

2. Dave 15

how much of the 'evidence' is made up of chancers looking for a quick buck from compensation.

'he put his hand on my back - for a bit too long' is hardly bending her over the nearest caravan table and removing her virginity is it? For heavens sake its not even sticking his hand up her skirt.

It is quite possible that there was real abuse and for that there should be something done, but some of the stuff is plain ridiculous.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Headmaster

Police should be able to whittle it down. During the Jonathan King stuff they had lots of people come forward, but the police carefully whittled it down.

Jon Ronson wrote a fascinating article about that case back in 2001 (be warned, it's quite long). I believe there may be much in common with the Savile case in terms of the power of "celebrity":

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2001/dec/01/weekend.jonronson

2. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Well there is no evidence the people making these allegations are doing it for money - anymore than there is evidence they occurred in the first place. After you with the witch hunt.

Interesting to hear such graphic descriptions of alleged crimes. Being edgy or have issues ?

3. Psyx
          Stop

"and as for the "alledgedly" and innocent until proven guilty! - F*** that , look at the weight of 'evidence'"

I haven't seen any, yet. I've just been told by frankly crappy media that the police are investigating after 300 people made phone calls to complain. I haven't been exposed to any hard evidence.

He's probably guilty as hell, but I believe that everyone deserves their proverbial day in court, and shouldn't be lambasted prior to that.

It's really easy to throw accusations about dead people.

Though if there is anything to it, I'd quite like to see the nurses et cetera who are now coming forward to be prosecuted for idly standing by.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

[Allegedly evil bastard who Allegedly abused hundreds of children.]

While this is totally true, and should be strongly asserted, before you put all your eggs in the "innocent, can't be proven guilty" basket, I think you should temper that a little with the probablity that there could be some truth in the allegations, it's certainly not beyond reason to suspect that at least some of the 150/200 people who have come forward claiming that he abused them are possibly telling the truth.

[There was adequate time between these alleged offences for people to report them]

Surely this would be the case for every abuse/rape/assault? the psycology of abuse, the guilt the victim feels may not seem logical to you, but it's very, very common, you may not understand it, in reality more abuses/rapes/assaults are not reported than are reported.

[doing so after the accused is no longer vital is just tacky.]

Fair enough - it's tacky, to you, but if a "genuine victim" gets some kind of closure, some kind of healing then it's got to be a positive thing, after all, which do you think JS would prefer; facing accusations while alive or having the accusation after he died? He had a great life, iconic, famous, could go anywhere, do anything, loved by many (no sick pun intended), if this came out while he was alive he would have had a worse life, whether true or not is irrelevant, "he can't answer the accusations" - so what, do you think he'd want to? JS was very, very lucky that this didn't come out when he was alive.

[I find this whole episode unseemly.]

I think this is the problem, this is the reason people "look the other way", people don't want to know, they don't want to think it could be true, talk to an adult abused as a child and you'll get the same story, the "shame on the family", "it was in the past", it may be unseemly, it may seem unfair on his family and friends, but if there is any truth, please don't blame the victims for this "unseemly act" or "shame", blame the abuser.

[De mortuis nil nisi bonum old boy.]

Even if this was one single language it wouldn't be gramatically correct (as you are telling him, not us), but he could have said "non omnis moriar", which invalidates your assertion, besides lex non distinguitur nos non distinguere debemus, absente reo coram non iudice ab abusu ad usum non valet consequentia durum hoc est sed ita lex scripta est.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

> The Savile ringtone is currently number four in the chart of top-ten comedy-themed tones in the Apple iTunes store. Jim'll Fix It comes just below "C*nt calling" at number three.

Classy.

1. Colin Brett
      Coat

" ... "C*nt calling" at number three."

"I'd buy that for a dollar!" Then I'd set it as a group ring tone for calls from solicitors, social workers, estate agents ... [Insert your least favourite species here].

Colin

12. JaitcH
    Stop

Herd mentality in full flight

I am glad that at least some El Reg posters recognise there has been no convictions registered against the late Jimmy Saville. And never will be. Gary Gladd was convicted of having 4,000 images, not making them. He was also convicted n VietNam of abuse when he spent the night with two girls and their aunt in the same bed.

Given the extreme secrecy surrounding the matter, the closed court hearings, the less than politically isolated courts and the poor general law conditions in VietNam I would even place that in the dubious category. Please note that I am one of many Foreigners who wrote to the Prime Minister of VietNam asking that no sentence reductions be given Glad. These reductions are handed out en masse on vacations and national holidays.

No one has explained why these now 40 and 50 year old alleged victims are only now coming out of the woodwork.

As someone who came up in the Sixties, I remember it was quite common for people to 'put out' by way of appreciation. These were the days of free love, mini-vans with "Don't laugh your daughter may be inside", etc.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Herd mentality in full flight

No one has explained why these now 40 and 50 year old alleged victims are only now coming out of the woodwork.

Recession? Need to buy cat food for Tiddles? Or themselves?

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Herd mentality in full flight

Let's prosecute all the people that were around in the 60s and 70s, for having a good time that we clearly can't have now. Especially the dead ones. The French call those 30 years up to 1975 "Les Trente Glorieuses".

Many could also be prosecuted for crimes against music or fashion ;)

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The British sense of humour in overdrive.......

Now then now then now then. Some of us have already had this text message in our SMS inbox:

"Our records indicate that you were once felt up by jimmy Saville and could be entitled to £2147 in compensation. Just reply "HOW'S ABOUT THAT THEN" to register or to opt out just text "STOP JIMMY STOP". Register before the end of the month a get a free "AMBULANCE-CHASERS 4 U FIXED IT FOR ME" medal"

The depths to which the British sense of humour can stoop to never cease to amaze me.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Joke

Re: The British sense of humour in overdrive.......

He was a lovely man. When I was a kid he fixed it for me to milk a cow blindfolded.

[gets coat and runs]

1. NomNomNom

Re: The British sense of humour in overdrive.......

we were all touched when he came to visit us in hospital

14. Psyx
    Alert

The more I think about it, the more I think that it's kinda weird morally: We're all too happy to literally pi$$ on his grave and completely ignore the enormous amount of charity work that he did due to the greater moral crime of allegedly abusing children.

And yet we've happily tore apart a couple of entire countries and let hundreds of thousands of civvies die in the ensuing conflict for the 'greater good' of deposing evil leadership or elements within the countries.

Strange creatures, aren't we?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Define

"we" and "happy"

I seem to remember a million or so people marching against killing people. Rather fewer (if any) marching against Savile.

I fear you are confusing "we" with "the media". They do the same in reverse, so it's not your fault.

15. User McUser
    Coat

If two people are arguing about this subject, would that mean they would be having a Savile Row?

16. Valiant

The explicit ditty "It's your Wife" ....

May I have more details on this please?

17. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Seriously though

Regardless of guilt or innocence ...

... what sort of cunt wants a jimmy savile ringtone ?

What image are they trying to portray ?

1. Robert Carnegie Silver badge

I suppose

It's the same as every time they made jokes on [Mock the Week] about what you don't get in the Harry Potter books, i.e. non-consensual and/or under-age sexual intercourse. If you watch repeat programmes and you actually enjoyed the Harry Potter books as they are then it gets tedious. Anyway, in the last book there's a scene where a confused and troubled witch evidently uses the magic Rohypnol to bend a Muggle to her will, but it wears off and he escapes.

...What|?

Oh, and it's amazing what happens when you have the extremerly rare good-luck potion. And an Invisibility Cloak. This is what's actually in book number six that I'm talking about.

And, come to think, the teachers have to do the rounds at the party night in book four to flush the older students out of the shrubbery.

1. toxicdragon

Re: I suppose

Second to last book, not the last one.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like