back to article Xbox SmartGlass hits Android ahead of schedule

Microsoft published the Xbox SmartGlass app for Android this weekend, giving those on Google's OS access before Windows Phone 8 even hits the market. The application - launched on Windows RT devices on Friday - was expected to hit Google Play in 2013 after a lengthy period of MS exclusivity. However, with the release of …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. ElNumbre
    Thumb Up

I am quite impressed, once I managed to get it installed. Tablet devices seem to require side-loading as according to the store, they're 'incompatible'.

I've only used it for navigating the menus, starting up iPlayer, and controlling the web-browser, but so far, it seems pretty reliable, functions well and is reasonably clear in operation. My only feedback is that there should be an option to reverse the swipe functionality to make left=right and vice versa, in the same way as other slide navigation works. Or has Apple got a © around that?

2. This post has been deleted by its author

3. B4PJS
    FAIL

Not sure why you say android gets to enjoiy it before Microsoft's mobile customers. It is available on WP7 you know. MS mobile customers don't start withy WP8 you know...

4. Rob 75

Should I be able to access it on my S2? Because I can't.

1. Dante

It should

I managed to install it and have a mess around with it last night.

I'm still in shock that I didn't find anything in particular to moan about!

5. Ritesh Tendulkar
    Thumb Up

Title

I tried this over the weekend and absolutely loved it. works quite well as a controller but the advantage of a proper keyboard on text entry screens is simply takes the interaction to a different level.

I noticed a couple of seconds delay sometimes between going to a text field and keyboard opening up on the phone, but overall I'm well impresse.

6. StuCom
    FAIL

doesn't work.

Android 4.1.2 Tab = No workey. Who can be arsed with the side-loading shenanigans? This is a typical Android problem. Yes there are billions of droids on the planet, but any given app will only work on a subset of those devices. Sometimes a very, very small subset (thinking of the Sky Go app).

I know this is all off topic, and I'm sure that the MS app is useful. I just can't see it, that's all. Perhaps this was a ploy to highlight one of Android's failings?

1. Richard 81

Re: doesn't work.

What annoys me, is that the apps often do work but you have to side load because they're not supported.

7. o_0

The article is kind of wrong. The app has been released for Windows Phone 7 too - it's not a WP8 exclusive, it's already out for existing WP7 users.

8. John 120
    Thumb Up

Pretty good...

Been using it on WP7 for a while now and it's pretty good, responsive, even lets you use it over the mobile network (but rightly warns you it might be a tad slow!)

9. The_Regulator
    FAIL

Proves The Point - Android Fragmentation

Shows how fragmented the android base is when some can some can't and to install legit software you have to sideload??? Realy Come On Mannnn!!!

As some others pointed out, this has been available for a couple of weeks on WP7, author you might want to do a little more research before you start touting how android users are getting a microsoft product before Windows Phone customers, thats now how it went down. Probably should actually give WP7 some props in your article as an update vs how you have it worded now.......am sure you won't though as just like a lot of tech authors you can't give props to WP where it is deserved......

Bring on November, looking forward to going into a store and doing a comparison between Lumia 920, Droid Razr Maxx HD and iPhone 5.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

'This item cannot be installed in your device's country'

so getting the error message when trying to buy Windows 8: "Sorry, Windows 8 isn't available for online purchase in the country/region you're in", isn't enough, now I can't get the Android app if it is made my Microsoft even if it is free of charge!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Err...

Which country are you in?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Err...

right now, Tanzania. And going by the list of countries that the sell to ( http://windows.microsoft.com/is-IS/windows-8/terms-conditions ) we are not the only ones who are having a problem buying Windows 8!

11. Daisy Sprocket
    Thumb Down

doesn't work on my JB Xoom: not compatible

12. JimRoyal

:-(

My HTC Legend running Android 2.2 will not load it.

13. Charles 9
    Unhappy

Watch out for incompatibility.

From what I've been able to make out, to use SmartGlass on Android, you need to match three conditions:

- Phones ONLY (My only ICS device is a tablet).

- The phone must have at lease Android 4.0.

- Needs enough resolution. They mention WVGA, so I don't know if SVGA (1024x600) will suffice.

Figured I'd give heads up.

14. Epobirs

Samsung Galaxy SII ICS is a go

installs and works fine on my phone. I haven't any other Android devices to test against.

15. Chelseascum

Not compatible

This app is incompatible with all of your devices.

Asus Nexus 7

This item is not compatible with your device.

O2 Sony Ericsson LT22i

This item is not compatible with your device.

16. Wokstation
    Unhappy

Not compatible

With the Sony Tablet S, computer says no.

1. Charles 9

Re: Not compatible

For now, Microsoft is saying no to tablets. Phones only for some reason.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like