back to article Operators turn UK bonking consortium into Google-killer

The UK's central clearing house for mobile advertising now has a name, and a logo. But you won't find any mention of NFC, despite that being the original intention of the consortium before its rebrand as Weve, a business-to-business service "primarily aimed at advertisers looking to engage in mobile commerce". Project Oscar – …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. LarsG
    Meh

Bad enough

That advertising comes out of the woodwork at you on a PC, but this is the last straw.

Hands up who wants advertising on a mobile phone?

No one?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Bad enough

hang on - are we supposed to up (hands) upvote if we like advertising, or if we like your dislike of it?

/confused

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Last week I got 12 text messages from mobile numbers telling me I have a PPI claim. Next week it will be flashing ads everywhere on the screen.

The only good thing is that after a while I will become ad-blind and not see them, just like everywhere else.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

According to our records you're still owed £3250 for that PPI you took out. Visit www.weareascam.com to find out how you can get back the money you're owed.

2. Irongut

Never seen a single one of these texts and I'd complain to my operator if I did. The only mobile ads I get are those in free apps and I've already trained myself not to see those.

3. cyberdemon Silver badge
    Facepalm

"Pay by bonk" not booming

Solely because crapple decided not to put NFC into their phones?

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

In the meantime, consumers lose out.

Have NFC in my phone, and would use it, but Google Wallet isn't available in the UK, no doubt because of all this infighting.

5. auburnman
    Thumb Down

People currently grudgingly tolerate ads online (or block them where possible) but the 'normal' state for being online usually implies you are sat somewhere comfy with a nice big screen. People using mobile browsing are going places and doing stuff, and the NFC is probably an important part of that (e.g. buying a travel ticket.) At best the ads will not be seen because the phone is hovering over a tap-to-pay, at worst people will become angry with the brands that get shoved in their face this way.

6. Richard Jones 1
    Devil

Not So Smart Phones Anymore?

I wonder at the morons in marketing. Are they trying to make so called smart phones highly undesirable?

"Roll up Roll Up, all the crap you do not want and a reduced features set for those that you need. A snip at only several hundred, (fill in the currency)"

Mine is the one that takes and makes calls and takes and receives texts, it might take the odd photograph, but as far as I can control things, it does nothing else.

1. Peter Gathercole Silver badge
      Unhappy

Re: Not So Smart Phones Anymore?

The only thing is that the service you are getting at the moment might get a lot more expensive if there was no advertising.

Whilst I agree that most of this is to try to maximise profits, at least some of the advertising will be helping to pay for the technology. Just think that if Google did not have healthy advertising revenues, we probably would not have Android at all. Maybe we would have had Meego or WebOS as alternatives still, but I would not want to guarantee it.

Ad funded services are annoying, but without them we would either have poorer choice or more expensive services. In some ways, this is a lose-lose scenario for consumers.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"Pay by bonk isn't exactly booming"

Well it would help if it were possible in any way, shape, manner or form.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I was actually quite looking forward

to the advantages that NFC on the phone could bring. I got a handset that supports it.

However I can't really be arsed with it any more. The Olympics has been and gone and there is still no sign of this actually being usable in the UK, over a year after it was advertised on TV...

9. This Side Up
    Meh

Joined Up Mobile?

It looks more like somebody spillt a bag of jelly beans.

1. hplasm
      FAIL

Re: Joined Up Mobile?

Good luck reading that logo if you're colourblind.

10. Shanghai Tom
    Devil

NFC with Push Ads ? no thanks

I have to agree, I am sick and tired of Ads shoved in my face for all types of crud I have absolutely no intention of buying.

This would be the last straw for NFC, push Ads will result in the death of NFC.

Oh, and another thing, I get push ads on Bluetooth from a Photo Booth every time I walk past it and I'm using my bluetooth headset. Wants to know if I want to print any pictures !

Similarly, push "menu specials" as I walk past certain restaurants.

My Old "smartphone" had a block list for Bluetooth, my new "very smart" phone doesn't !

go figure...

Now, if there was a blocker for NFC Ads that would be worth paying a few bucks for..

1. Andrew 66

Re: NFC with Push Ads ? no thanks

Of course, you could just turn off "Discoverable" in your Bluetooth settings and, like me, roam around with Bluetooth bswitched on all day never seeing any of this stuff.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like