back to article Get some respect in data management

Having worked in the data-management field for more than ten years, the most common complaint I've heard voiced by data architects is: "Why don't we get more visibility, respect, and funding?" Data managers and architects often feel like second-class citizens compared to their counterparts programming new applications, using new …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. amanfromMars Silver badge

Singularity ?

Donna,

Although this is a reply to another post on El Reg today, it is just as relevant to your own.

Source in the RAW ....... Star Adjustable MetaDataBase Material/Content Feed.

By amanfromMars

Posted Tuesday 19th February 2008 10:12 GMT

"Those that made use of normalization to create an underlying warehouse that then fed targeted data marts - which are implemented as stars typically - not only had terrific performance, but were well understood, documented and testable." .... By Highlander Posted Tuesday 19th February 2008 07:57 GMT

With "which are implemented as stars typically" being the all important Bit/Byte, Highlander. In that context, I wouldn't disagree.

However, all Information does not come from normalized databases/fed warehouses targetting data marts, some is Mined/Sourced/Fed into Systems by Stars of Analytical Programming who Really understand XXXXactly the impact of what they design/implement.

And so as not to overly confuse the Herd Mentality, and to give them every Chance at Simple Comprehension, they would keep IT all in Plain Text so that IT could be easily Transcribed and/or XXXXPorted into any Intelligence Community and/or Intelligent Learning Society.

http://comments.regdeveloper.co.uk/2008/02/18/stonebraker_dbms_outdated/

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

architect

The most common complaint I hear about data architects is their pompous use of the word "architect". What if I was to go around declaring myself to be a "code surgeon" or a "html high-court judge". Get over yourselves you DB monkeys.

3. Pyros
    Coat

Oh?

Then go explain an ERM to a Board of Directors. I'm *sure* they'll understand it like they understand most IT proposals--without a dictionary and several hours of explaining the harder terms.

[Taxi] <---< [Coat] <---< [Me]

4. Tuomo Stauffer
    Gates Halo

Life and IT

It is not just DBA's, the whole IT is in denial. Life (==business) is not IT but making money. Until IT is a separate utility / service function, which has only business relationships and people who liaison between, it better to talk business language, not technology babble. Even inside IT it is sometimes difficult to find same terms, is it then no wonder that people outside don't understand those ever changing, millions of acronyms and different ways to show how it works. And it works another way round too - half of my work is to find why these nicely modeled, fully normalized and even formally tested databases have no performance when business functions change as they do almost day by day. In business a nice, static diagram is good a week - if you are lucky, world goes on.

This topic is closed for new posts.