back to article GooPad's eight-incher gives Apple fans cheap relief

Knock-off iPad manufacturer GooPad has followed Apple and unveiled a mini version of its i-style slate. It packs similar specs, ish, but as you can imagine, has a far cheaper price than the real thing. The GooPad Mini may be devoid of the highly-sought fruit logo, but with an 8in display at 1080 x 768 pixels, a 1.4GHz dual- …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Does it have GPS?

What's the screen res like? Better than the abysmal iPad Mini?

1. N13L5
      Coffee/keyboard

Looks good, but wait... what's that?

thats the same dumb screen ratio of the apple tablet,

making it too wide to fit into most pockets

and HD movies look ridiculous on it...

2. Dave 126 Silver badge

Hey up, what's the state of play with these cheap tablets? Are they still the false economy that they were, or have they improved?

Anyone got any experiences, good or bad? A year ago everyone was recommending the Curry's tablet whose name I've forgotten, but these days everyone seems to be talking about Google and Amazon's offerings, plus BB Playbooks, in the sub-£200 range.

1. Bassey

Re: Hey up, what's the state of play with these cheap tablets?

I got a cheapo resistive android tablet July 2011 - but that was fairly crap. Really only usable as an ebook reader, email, RSS, music and low-res video. Simple stuff. Web browsing was possible but slow and painful and games were a no-no.

In May this year I got a new cheapo chinese one. It has a 1.2GHz CPU plus a 400MHz Mali GPU, 512MB RAM and 16GB of storage. Then it was £90 - I've seen them lately for £65-70. It runs Android 4.0.4 and most of the time it flies along. Web browsing is a joy, it makes a brilliant kindle, good for games, I've watched countless videos on it both on the screen and using the HDMI port to output to a big telly. Overall, it is WELL worth the money and makes some of the £400-500 tablets look daft. I use it every day and the kids also love it.

HOWEVER, there are (of course) a couple of limitations. Some stuff in the Android Marketplace isn't compatible with it. I'm not 100% sure why. But If I search for some apps (Amazon App as an example) it will tell me I can install it on my 2-year-old Android phone but not the tablet - might be the lack of GPS. Who knows.

Very occasionally, it goes slow for a couple of minutes. Usually it pops back again but sometimes it requires a reboot. I suspect it is doing some house keeping in the background.

If I were buying now, I'd get the Ainol Fire (about £110 on Amazon) with a dual-core CPU, more RAM, better display and metal body. But the cheap tablets ARE very good and have the advantage of HDMI, MicroSD and USB ports so carrying around a bunch of music and films becomes incredibly easy.

1. Tapeador

What was the cheapo Chinese one you bought called, please?

2. Ironfrost

@Basset if it was an early Ainol model, the incompatible apps would have been because they used MIPS CPUs instead of ARM (anything that uses the native-code NDK instead of regular Dalvik has to be compiled separately for each architecture). Ainol already switched to ARM for their latest tablets, probably for this reason.

On the subject of 8" android tablets, the one in the article is nothing new - my colleague bought a Teclast p85 for a similar price to the one in the article a few months ago, 1024x768 screen and everything. The Yuandao n80 is another 8" 1024x768 tablet thats been around for a while - haven't played with that one but apart from the screen it's the same as their n70 which I have and works very nicely (also under $100 for the 8GB version). No fake iOS skin though.

2. Mark #255
      Happy

Like bassey, I got a cheap 7" tablet (800*480, resistive, gingerbread) last year. Angry Birds was fine, wi-fi was erratic, Firefox was too slow to be usable, but it played side-loaded videos fine.

We've just replaced it with an £80 Zoostorm tablet. Higher res, capacitive, ICS, Google apps/store. Wi-fi works (though not on enterprise/eduroam type networks) and it's just about perfect. The only bad points are the lack of charging over USB (dedicated 5V charger boo), the inset headphone socket, and it's a bit heavier than the old tablet. Also there's no GPS, but I'm not complaining at £80.

3. DrXym

Maybe this explains all those BS screen shortage stories

The GooPad has snapped them all up.

4. TeeCee Gold badge

Samsung's lawyers should buy a few.

Then, next time Apple pull 'em up in court they can enter them as evidence with the pointed comment; "Remind me again, why are you sueing us?".

Sueing the big company that makes something a bit similar to your product, while quietly ignoring the small one that makes something exactly like your product, looks suspiciously like just going after the cash rather than defending the design.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Samsung's lawyers should buy a few.

Whilst I do agree; China and Copyrighting is an interesting minefield of protectionism. BMW sued a Chinese company for making a knock off of the X5, they said it looked nothing alike, the design being almost identical.

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

However you could sue rich American companies like Amazon for selling them, or go after ebay/paypal/credit card companies - there are lot of rich targets.

2. Eddy Ito

"BMW sued a Chinese company for making a knock off of the X5"

While true it isn't a case of protectionism as it wasn't a court in China. It was one in Italy that tossed BMW's claims.

2. Joseph Lord

Don't normally get posts saying that the problem with patent/design rights is that the big boys only pick on each other and don't go after the little guys. Having said that I'm sure Apple will try to take some action in any territory where they reasonably can for such a blatant rip off. Actually with that photo it is more a trading standards (or local equivalent) than a design rights issue.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It's all about the software at the end of the day. If it doesn't run the apps you want then what good is it unless you want a cheap gadget to check emails and do a little bit of web surfing.

6. AndrewInIreland

On the plus side...

It ships with Google Maps

7. Graham O'Brien

Yes but

... is is as cool? At least, to a High Court Judge?

1. Captain Save-a-ho
      Coat

Re: Yes but

It will be more cool after the Judge ends up in the Channel from listening to the directions he gets from iMaps.

2. Tapeador

Re: Yes but

Cooler, I'd say. It dons a balaclava and bares its ass at Apple's altar.

8. Tom 35

I'd be more intrested

If it didn't have the fake iOS look. Wonder if you can load standard Jelly Bean, and what's the battery life like?

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

far LOWER price,

that's what you wanted to say.

10. shade82000
    WTF?

I don't understand why ...

... people feel the need to exactly rip off the ipad. Fine, build a tablet and get taken to court by apple because they think it looks too similar to an ipad when really it's just the resultant shape of the function it provides - *our* tablet looks like *your* tablet and *every other* tablet, because it is a tablet and a tablet needs to be that shape ... roughly.

But, if you want an ipad get an ipad. If you dont care about the ipad get an Android. Why buy somethinig that looks like an ipad?

I don't get it, personally, if I was buying a tablet to display to the world on my way to work, which I don't, then I would want something that doesn't make me look like a sheep.

1. Gob Smacked
      Pint

Re: I don't understand why ...

@shade82000: "But, if you want an ipad get an ipad. If you dont care about the ipad get an Android. Why buy somethinig that looks like an ipad?"

LOL, for *this* price, I'd buy it just to f***off my Apple loving colleagues.. :)

Having a couple of good laughs for a few tenners is like going to the theater: only afterwards you have a nice toy leftover to play with too...

11. Anonymous Coward
    Facepalm

Oh! The humanity!

Think of the horror on some poor sod's face, as they feverishly tear the wrapping paper off one of these crappers on Christmas morning, thinking for one fleeting second that they've got an iPad. Only to have their stomach lurch as realisation dawns and they know they'll have to look up in a second and unflinchingly meet granny's gaze and force a broken-hearted smile, as the sweet old dear asks anxiously, "Was that the one you wanted? The man in the shop said it was the one everybody wanted"

1. Major Trouble

Re: Oh! The humanity!

Especially if they wanted a Nexus 7.

12. Alan Denman

Old hat and cheap. like the iPAd

The 8" version has been on Android almost since time began.

Apple is the one doing the copying.

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Fantastic!

Great specifications for a device that size, looks amazing too and running the latest incarnation of Android and only $99. Certainly puts into perspective what a rip off the Google Nexus is with it's 7 inch screen

1. Major Trouble

Re: Fantastic!

Nexus has better screen, memory, cpu & GPS of course it's more expensive.

Now how about the iPad mini. That's the rip off. It's just a kids iPad and in time for Christmas. They get them when they're lambs now before they become isheep.

14. Weirdy one

There is a cost though...

If you were at all concerned about the wages and conditions of employees building Apple products at Foxconn, think about the people working in the sweatshops where they can build tablets that retail for $99.

Given that the Nexus at $199 is apparently sold at cost, somebody is cutting corners somewhere...

1. Kevin 6

Re: There is a cost though...

Well part of the cost cut I'm sure is they don't pay any patent royalties to the holders of patents (like apple ;)) so that allows them to cut costs way lower than google who has to pay for the licensing of technology

15. rvt
    Devil

GooPad's eight-incher gives Apple fans cheap relief

But will it blend??

1. Tapeador

Re: GooPad's eight-incher gives Apple fans cheap relief

Oh god, that phrase...

When will they make a horror film with that as the main script? It's only a matter of time...

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like