back to article Amazon ships Kindle Fire HD, Paperwhite to Brits

Amazon would like you to know that its Fire HD tablet and Paperwhite e-readers are now available to us Brits. And that Lovefilm, Amazon’s film streaming and DVD rental service, can be accessed on the former. The Fire HD, with its 7in, 1280 x 800 display - a rather higher pixel density than the iPad Mini - comes in 16GB and …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. frank ly

More details needed

At £109, the basic model is £9 more than the Kobo Glo (from WH Smith), but the Glo has WiFi .......the Glo doesn't support mobi ........ you can't turn the Paperwhite illumination off ....... Christmas is coming..... need to do more research ......etc.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: More details needed

"t £109, the basic model is £9 more than the Kobo Glo (from WH Smith), but the Glo has WiFi"

Eh? What makes the basic KPW model basic is that it only has Wifi, and no free 3g. That's not a differentiator.

"More research" in this case isn't hard, go anywhere near the Amazon website and have the specs jammed in your face :)

1. frank ly

More research is what I did .....

"Amazon restricts you to only reading books that you download via its own shop. You can squeeze .pdf or Word files onto the Kindle by email, but the popular .epub file format used by many websites and public libraries is not supported."

Looks like the Kobo Glo then.

1. Andrew Hodgkinson
          Thumb Up

Works for me

I wrote about my own experiences with the Glo here:

http://forums.reghardware.com/post/1591434

The more I use it, the more I like it.

1. Mage Silver badge

Re: Works for me

Ah... Amazon copied that did they?

I see in reviews the Kobo Glo has transreflective LED lamp and 1024 x 768.

I don't much like the idea it reboots when you load a new document.

2. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Re: Works for me

Very happy Kobo Glo user here.

If you're not already in the Kindle ecosystem the Glo is every bit as capable as the Kindle.

2. I think so I am?
          FAIL

just use calibre you ding bat

3. Alan 6

"Amazon restricts you to only reading books that you download via its own shop. You can squeeze .pdf or Word files onto the Kindle by email, but the popular .epub file format used by many websites and public libraries is not supported."

You can load Mobi format books onto the kindle via USB, you can turn most file formats into Mobi using Calibre.

Of the 200+ books on my Kindle, I'd say about 10% were bought from the Kindle store

1. frank ly

@Andrew and Alan Re: More details needed

I got a Kobo Glo this lunchtime. I have about 75% mobi and 25% epub on my existing (badly organised) collection, usually read using a laptop based reader. So, I'll be organising my collection and converting mobi to epub using Calibre. I've found that some of my epub books cannot have the line spacing/fonts/margins adjusted and will freeze the device if you play around with the adjustment controls.

The way to deal with this is to reconvert them in Calibre with the Look and Feel -> Filter Style Information -> Fonts/Margins checkboxes ticked. This gives you a 'fresh' epub file that can have adjustments made to it, no problem. I'm sure there are all sorts of other practical details that I have yet to learn.

In general, the review sites, even the 'technical' ones, are useless for practical details of real life use of e-book readers; which is why the El Reg commentard community is so useful :)

4. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Your research sucks :)

First up, make friends with Calibre. Whatever you end up buying, make friends with it- it's a swiss army chainsaw of ebook conversion. You convert stuff to the right format, you read it on the reader of your choice. It's free, and it's really great- and not too irksome to use. It's worth making the effort to find it*.

Secondly, on a slightly over-specific note, the nicest way to convert stuff like big web pages to the kindle is via the "readability" browser plugin- Amazon's own converter isn't great. However, this is a great, fast,e asy way that gives good results. For everything else, Calibre is your friend.

* You know, more effort than you've put into research on the topic so far, ya big slacker. Type it into google, it'll take you right there :)

5. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Erm no they don't.

I read lots of older ebooks that were got from elsewhere,

Baen do free books, they read on the kindle fine.

2. Tegne
      Gimp

You can use Calibre to convert most unprotected ebook formats into the Kindle format. In addition you can email books and PDFs to the Kindles own personal address and Amazon's servers perform any necessary conversion.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Whoopdeedoo, still no LoveFilm streaming app for Android. If the fuckers released one maybe I wouldn't go to netflix.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

hmm I wonder why the thumbs down? They have an app that works on Android, but when I'm out and about I can't watch LoveFilm on my Android device for some obscure Amazon reason, whereas I can watch it on my laptop. I'm not buying a Kindle HD for that.

3. ukgnome

As soon as the HD bootloader is unlockable and the clever devs compile a workable ICS \ JB rom then the HD is a great purchase. Until then it's best to avoid.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"As soon as the HD bootloader is unlockable and the clever devs compile a workable ICS \ JB rom then the HD is a great purchase. Until then it's best to avoid."

Meh, may as well just get a Nexus 7, which runs the latest and greatest (umm 4.1.2? sommat like that) anyway, with no effort- especially if the much rumoured 200 quid 32 gig one surfaces around christmas. (Also, it's dead easy to unlock the bootloader, being a Nexus class device, for Titanium Backup and other useful root apps)

4. Gavin McMenemy

I'm thinking of binning Lovefilm. The selection is poor and the searching is worse.

5. Not also known as SC
    Meh

No Kindle HD for me today.

I had pre-ordered a Kindle Fire HD but when I read through the specs again I came across the 'special offers' straight to my screen saver and home screen. Apparently I wouldn't have to worry about these wasting screen estate because the offers would appear In my notification area. My order was cancelled 10 minutes later.

One concern was that a standard kindle needs you to set up one click payment. I could just imagine letting my autistic son use my device to watch You Tube videos etc and him clicking on the offers and buying me lots of things I don't want. Getting a refund for digital content I think would be a struggle. Happy to be proved wrong but not willing to take that risk. (I don't have a payment card set up for the Play Store).

1. Anonymous Coward
      Stop

Re: No Kindle HD for me today.

So why didn't you get the one without "special offers" then, rather than spitting your dummy out and having a sulk?

1. Martin
        Thumb Down

Presumably because (a) it costs a tenner more and (b) because it wasn't exactly advertised up-front.

And I wouldn't have said he was spitting the dummy, or sulking. He was just cancelling an order.

Why was it necessary to be offensive, simply because you disagree?

I swear, if people discussed things down the pub the way they discuss things on the internet, there would be two or three fights every night.

1. Ben79

Been using it since yesterday. Hardly notice the ads, as far as I can tell they only appear on the "lock" screen.

Sideloaded Dolphin browser and Flash, streaming videos now work fine.

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

But the special offers *are* advertised up front! Take a look at the product page on Amazon & you'll see the HD with two buttons for 16 and 32GB, and beneath these are two more buttons for with or without special offers. Click the ones you want, price changes accordingly - simple. And if you bought it with the offers you can change your mind later & have them removed for - yes - £10.

1. Not also known as SC

Your're right. Amazon must have changed their web page. At the time the option to buy a non-sponsored version wasn't available or was extremely well hidden. Pity, I love my Kindle and I like using Amazon as a company, but as I said earlier I'd already bought an alternative device.

3. Dr. Mouse

"I swear, if people discussed things down the pub the way they discuss things on the internet, there would be two or three fights every night."

Two or three? That would be less than normal at a pub local to me! (One that I very rarely enter, for that reason)

4. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

"Why was it necessary to be offensive, simply because you disagree?

I swear, if people discussed things down the pub the way they discuss things on the internet, there would be two or three fights every night."

Dear Martin,

Welcome to the Internet. Here is a relevant and useful cartoon which may help you find your feet:

http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2004/03/19

Be the trouble you want to see in the world, be excellent to each other, and do not eat the yellow snow.

Much love,

An AC xxx

2. Not also known as SC

Because as Martin says below the non sponsored ones were not particularly well advertised. By the time I found out you could get them without the special offers I had already bought an alternative.

6. Scouser
    Holmes

Calibre...

Buy a Kindle (or any ebook reader) and use Calibre to "manage" your ebooks - it will convert from any format into other, allow you to push books to the devices using wireless / cable or email. It also allows you to select from umpteen built in and customisable newspapers, magazines and blogs and have them sent to your kindle / ebook reader at the frequency that you want.

You can find many thousands of ebooks on T'Internet in the usual places.

7. Mage Silver badge

Datasheets on "Paperwhite"

Hmm,

1024 x 768 (if true) is about possible for A4 PDF filling screen (about 96 dots per original inch). An HD landscape screen is 1920 x 1080, so only 56 pixels longer for document and it nearly works (1200 pixels high works for A4). But since there is no title bar and menu bar, it may be similar to full A4 portrait pdf in a window on a 1600 x 1200 or 1920 x 1200 landscape display.

I tried the existing 800 x 600 Kindle in the house here. No good at all for US letter size or A4 size PDFs

Where can I try one?

1. Ian Watkinson
      Megaphone

Re: Datasheets on "Paperwhite"

Where can you try one.

Amazon.co.uk funnilly enough, and if you don't like it, you can send it back free of charge up to 29 days later.

I asked Kobo if they were that sure of their product why I couldn't do likewise..guess that's why I have kindles...

8. Derichleau
    Thumb Down

Amazon show contempt for our rights as UK data subjects

As UK data subjects we are all entitled to opt-out of all direct marketing from a UK-based company. Amazon operates a .co.uk website and as such, one might think that they comply with UK data protection laws but they don't; the data controller for Amazon.co.uk is based in Europe, not the UK. As such, we as UK data subjects forgo our right under section 11 of the DPA98 to opt-out of the direct marketing that Amazon insist on displaying on their new Kindle. For that reason, I'll be sticking with my basic Kindle.

9. djswivel

Not bad

I got my fire HD yesterday and also loaded dolphin browser on to it.

It's nice and quick, but I'm having issues with it playing video files with the standard player (even converted to mp4 they're "stuttering"). This evenings task - get a decent video player for it that can handle .avi files....

1. ukgnome

Re: Not bad

If it's available from the Amazon App store I recommend MX player - simply the best player for droid devices

10. Silverburn

I read this as

"Amazon ships Kindle Fire HD Paperweight to Brits ."

Maybe I shouldn't have tried to Jelly Bean mine afterall...

11. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

Paperwhite - First Impressions

39th anniversary gift of Paperwhite with Amazon's leather cover in fuschia, for my wife, arrived yesterday.

Give it 9 out of 10.

Text looks crisp. More Font choices. Portrait or Landscape modes. Page turns very fast. Displays complex PDF diagrams very well with contrast turned up. Looks great in the dark with some mild shadowing towards the screen's bottom.

Advertising on Home Screen in Cover mode. This disappears when viewed in other modes. Have Home Screen set up in Collections mode. WiFi turned off in Aeroplane mode,

Installation a snap. WiFi sets up quickly. On screen K/B a joy. Screen very responsive to fingers, thumbs or stylus. Downloads from Amazon Cloud in seconds. USB link to PC very quick & easy.

Unit snaps into the back of the Amazon leather cover, available in colours for boys & girls. Magnetic closure. Turns Paperwhite on & off, shows page being read. Easy & light to told. Cover turns back on itself. Would fit easily in cargo pocket, small bag, zip folder, backpack etc.

Overall an excellent product. Will buy another for myself. Highly recommended.

Big user of digital text since STAIRS but still buy some paper stuff.

Amazon, Playstore, Zinio, you name it.

Five Kindles, Sony eReader, iPads, Androids etc.

Yes, will order iPad mini today.

This stuff just keeps getting better.

Writing a free multimedia eBook on swimming (iBooks Author, Kindle & PDF formats)

12. xyz Silver badge
    Unhappy

Got a kindle Fie HD yesterday, gave it to my girlfriend....

...she is now in love with the thing, even the bloody advertising. I haven't heard her purr like that since we first started going out. The thing appears to be targeted at the way a woman thinks about stuff. andshe treats it like a hot bloke (drooled all over). I think I'm out the window.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Thumb Up

Re: Got a kindle Fie HD yesterday, gave it to my girlfriend....

How can you possibly turn this to your advantage ?

Birthday this weekend..............

13. Ian Watkinson
    FAIL

Arrived yesterday, not impressed

There seems to be quite a lot of issues with it, that should have been ironed out when it was available in the UK, support teams are a bit "we only get it yesterday..."

Screen is noticeably brighter and larger than the nexus, but the device as a whole is also much bigger and heavier.

£199 32GB KFHD vs £199 16GB Nexus 7, KFHD wins.

However if the rumours are true, and the new nexus 32gb is £199, then I'd go for the nexus, it does more, is more portable (if you don't want portable, when why bother with a 7" tablet) and is easier to use one handed.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like