back to article Who is it that makes pots of cash from Apple and Facebook?

Growth continues unabated at Fusion-io as the server flash storage hardware and software vendor reports record quarterly revenues 59 per cent higher than a year ago plus a $3.9m profit. But growth is about to stop as the economy slams the brakes on. For its first fiscal 2013 quarter revenues were $118m, compared to $74.4m a …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Ian McNee
    Stop

In the wrong business?

"For its first fiscal 2013 quarter revenues were $118m..."

If they can see this far into the future would they not get a bigger return on invesment on the lottery and the horses?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: In the wrong business?

It's the fiscal quarter...

2. Kevin Johnston

Profit -v- Revenue

That is some seriously skinny margins they are working on there, unless of course there is a series of Franchise/Licensing/admin fees which get taken out a la Starbucks UK

1. localzuk Silver badge

Re: Profit -v- Revenue

Growth costs money. Lots of money. New staff, new equipment, new premises, new liabilities. It all adds up.

2. Trev 2

Thats what I was thinking - either they're spending a fortune on R&D or they really need to look closer at where the money is vanishing to as the actual "cash at the end of the day" is hardly moving.

What happened to businesses that actually made some decent money from their sales? Does this not exist in the IT world anymore?

1. Roland6 Silver badge

I suspect that they are trying to maintain a rather large pile of cash to feed the rapidly increasing costs being incurred in delivering increasing levels of new business; from the graph Fusion-IO have todate experienced massive revenue growth - circa x10 since FY 2010 Q4 !

What happened to businesses that actually made some decent money from their sales? Does this not exist in the IT world anymore?

Good question.

Back in circa 1990 we saw hardware become commodity and prices plummeted, hence why we saw so many blue chip companies suddenly declaring losses. In more recent years we have seen the ticket price of software plummeting. Currently services seem to be holding up, however even here we have and are seeing sustained pressure on prices either through difficult trading or off-shoring and more recently Cloud style subscriptions.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Interesting -

not a single mention of K2 or any of the other Kit Kaminario sells with Fusion bits....

1. M. B.

Re: Interesting -

Nutanix uses FusionIO in their products as well. No love for the niche players :(

4. Anonymous Coward
    Headmaster

grammar !

Disclaimer : this comment does not in any way or form contribute to the actual discussion.

"... economic malaise... don't put a dent..."

Shouldn't that be "doesn't" ? Icon: I couldn't decide between troll and coat, so I went for pedant, hoping that it would give me some geek credibility.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like