back to article Researchers probe Southern Ocean's icy depths

Researchers from Australia, France and Japan have returned to port from the Southern Ocean following a two-month jaunt to probe the icy depths, which yielded some impressive footage of the abyss as well as a range of hitherto-unknown Antarctic sea monsters. The floor of the Southern Ocean. Image: Australian Antarctic Division …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Derek Hellam
    Linux

Oh Dear

How long before these creatures end up on French and Japanese dinner plates? Run, Hide, sea creatures!

A Penguin, as they are down there in that hemisphere too.

2. Matthew
    Paris Hilton

Photos

Looks like Lester decided to 'improve' the article with photos from his last seaside holiday to Brighton.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

Linking it to gloabal warming...

Must be looking for funding...

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It kind of snuck in - just like that

Is it possible to do any science any more without genuflecting to the GW religion - now called environmental change just in case the eugenicist politics has to switch horses onto Global Cooling (some time soon). Just like nobody in the old USSR could ever make a proposal without demonstrating how it was entirely in line with the dialects of marx engels and lenin.

5. Matt Caldwell
    Coat

You moron...

nobody has ever said anything about global cooling. They call it climate change because the place just doesn't get hotter. Some places get worse storms, some get less rain, and the whole place gets a bit deeper.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Schrödinger's cat...

Article says they're viewing these creatures in their "undisturbed" state. That chain sawing its way through the coral looks pretty frickin' distrubing to me.

7. Adrian Esdaile
    Coat

I'd love to see the respective reports..

Australia: Bewdy! Some grouse fish down 'ere mate!

France: Le pisces magnifique! Sacre bleu! Citroen!

Japan: Ahh.. we find many large whales tangled in propelor. So sorry!

Mines the scuba suit with black tie underneath, thanks.

8. joe
    Coat

crikey! that second photo is crackers!

looks like the japanese boat has dumped some prawn crackers down in preparation for a feed!

mine's the khaki fred-flintstone outfit, mate!

9. Tim

@matt

I don't go in for calling people morons. Howeever, I would point out that contrary to your "nobody has ever said anything about global cooling.", I actually spent two years in the 1980s studying the forthcoming ice age, which was a certainty at the time.

This topic is closed for new posts.