back to article Panel production problems may stop iPad Minis getting into fans' mitts

Woe to you, Apple fanboy, you may not be able to get your hands on a shiny new iPad Mini because Apple may not be able to ship enough of them to go round. So says DisplaySearch, a market watcher, which reckons supply will be constrained by LCD panel makers’ inability to sent enough 8.9in, 1024 x 768 screens to Apple. Screen …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. ukgnome

What a crock

This is another fine example of Apples rumour type advertising.

This creates artificial demand for the device you can't actually put in your pocket.

Yet people will suck this up and think, gee I had better get one now, and sleep outside a store, crapping in a bag and eating nothing but peperarmis for a week.

1. DrXym

Re: What a crock

Maybe it's the marketing team for Pepparami which put out these rumours then.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

It could actually be true, as the rest of the world has moved on from the low-res displays they are using in the iPad Mini.

Perhaps there are only so many bargain bins around the back of P* and, F* and W* with near obsolete 1024 x 768 7.9in panels in them.

3. a_been
      FAIL

What an idiot

This is a fine example of DisplaySearch getting free publicity by mentioning Apple. A fine example of "artificial demand" is all the robots saying "I want an Android tablex that has X,Y,Z" and then not buying one.

1. ukgnome
        Coat

Re: What an idiot

Tablet!

Tablex is a table top manufacturer, unless of course you are suggesting that android users want to mount their superior devices in a piece of furniture. If so, then all is good and I now fully understand the issue that you have raised. Tablex can seem quite a costly solution, but I understand it has a lovely finish.

4. Dana W
      Meh

I don't want to put it in my pocket, I have a phone for that. I want to put it in my purse!

Though I have no intention of waiting in line outside a store. I'm simply going to ask the in-laws for it for Christmas and getting it mailed to me in a box.

2. eSeM

Has There Ever Been An Apple Product ...

.. in recent years that hasn't had such a warning. Easy way for Apple to get free advertising.

I am surprised at The Register Falling for this time after time.

3. NoneSuch Silver badge

~GASP~

<eyebrow raise> Another shortage of Apple product? That's never happened before. </eyebrow raise>

4. Thomas 4

In other news

A notable El Reg commentard, Thomas 4, recently announced that his revolutionary new liquid storage medium, the iBottle, was experiencing supply shortages.

"Well, I only have the one empty bottle left after lunch and I dunno if I have the bladder capacity to manage another Coke right now," he was quoted as saying.

This shocking news has result in vicious battle royales between bottle fans desperate to get their hands on the iBottle, with opportunists purchasing the iBottle at its normal RRP of £369 before selling them on eBay for a tremendous mark up.

5. Big_Ted
    Paris Hilton

Won't matter anyway

All the fanbois have already spent their spare cash on the now old "new" iPad and the iPhone 5

They have no cash left over plus no spare holidays to book for queing even if they did......

Mind you just to show the mindset of some Apple lovers I was watching the event last night on a channel and afterwards watched 4 Apple evangelists trying to find a use for it and finaly setling on "It will be great for actors to learn their lines on set etc" and ending up saying "It will make a great stocking filler for Xmas"........

Paris because its what I was doing while watching.......

1. NotTellinYou

Re: Won't matter anyway

Actually for us, a Fortune 10 company, the smaller form factor is a HUGE plus. We've decided to deploy the iPad as our tablet of choice and for some use cases the ability to hold in one hand is an important choice for us. Glad to see Apple listened and we're looking forward to getting some for testing.

2. Dana W

Re: Won't matter anyway

Meh, If I get one I'm mostly going to use it for the occasional movie, e-books, chess, and mahjong. I can't do games on my phone anymore. Old people eyes.

6. Andrew Jones 2

I suspect you might of meant 7.9" displays - as a lack of 8.9" displays would have no effect on iPad production at all.....

In any case - I don't really see there being a problem - everyone I have spoken to doesn't want one... they may end up with loads sitting in a warehouse until they bring the price down.... I mean the £269 WiFi only 16GB model doesn't even have GPS! What tablet is it meant to be competing against exactly?

1. DrXym

By way of comparison the Nexus 7 with 16GB is £189.99 with PC World. Eighty quid more for something which is subjectively a little better in some ways and a little worse in others but otherwise a wash.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

£80 more for the Apple product is a no brainer - you buy the Apple iPad as it's a better made product with better apps and you will actually use it. Was interesting that 90% of tablet 'web' traffic was iPads - i.e. the thinks people actually use. Android tablets are like the Android phone I bought - useless after 6-12 months and now sit in a drawer as it can't be updated.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

@DrXym

Seems tens of millions of people have objectively decided the iPad is a lot better than the Nexus 7.

3. Andrew Jones 2

And come Monday will likely be £150 for the 16GB and £200 for the 32GB version.

There is also a very good chance there will be a 3G version for around £250.....

2. paulc

from what I can tell...

it would be my Arnova 8c G2... which came at the bargain price of £120 with Wifi only, no GPS, no bluetooth, no proper USB port (doesn't support USB On-the go so can't plug a keyboard into it) and only an 800x600 display...

I can run Angry Birds on it with no problems in response... also damn good for reading de-DRM'd ebooks so Amazon can't remotely wipe my Kindle App books...

PS. we need an "Android" icon...

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: from what I can tell...

Cheap and nasty.

People mix up price and value - many cheap Android tablets may be cheap but do not represent good value. I've been here before - you buy something cheap only to end up buying the thing you really wanted - wasting time and money in the process.

7. Kirstian K
    Flame

Personally

I will be waiting till the new new ipad (with small addapter) comes out,

and buy a iphone 5, and ipad mini, and ipad new new, and ipod and a new set of mini docking stations etc

all at once because thats surely the easiest option.

what else an i going to spend that 17 Gazillion Yen i have stashed and spare in the bank on eh..?

1. mark1978

Re: Personally

The new new iPad (or 4th Generation iPad) was announced yesterday, complete with smaller adapter.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

You would think that apple would learn.. every time they release a product they cant meet demand and people have to rush to get one.

What do you mean "that's the point?" they wouldn't do it on purpose.. no one would fall for that (Several times a year 4/5 years in a row)

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It's not in Apple's interest to NOT supply - sure it may sway a few people into think they must get in line to get one as everyone else wants one - but equally it will cost supplies of people who don't want to wait.

I'm sure Apple are very keen to ship / sell every single one they can make.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

But no shortages...

on news of supply shortages...

11. jonathanb Silver badge
    Headmaster

"So says DisplaySearch, a market watcher, which reckons supply will be constrained by LCD panel makers’ inability to sent enough 8.9in, 1024 x 768 screens to Apple."

Well if they do supply Apple with 8.9in screens, that will be a problem because they won't fit in the iPad mini.

12. This post has been deleted by its author

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Hope they don't limit purchases to 2.

14. Vince

I can't imagine Apple will be bothered. One because the screens in the mini are 7.9 as opposed to the 8.9 you quote, and secondly because Apple purchasing types would wait and queue indefinitely for the latest Apple bling thing.

Apple enjoy the almost unique advantage of being the most wanted by many right now, so they'll get away with it.

15. Dave 150

"Apple, then, appears to be suffering from falling out with a manufacturer of Samsung’s size and capability"

Suffering dearly I hope

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like