back to article Big Data? There's an App Store for that

A few months back Cloudera chief executive Mike Olson speculated that the real power of Hadoop "will be delivered through cloud apps vendors." This week Datameer brought Olson's vision to life, releasing a marketplace for buying and selling Big Data analytic applications. While a great deal of work remains for making Hadoop and …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Stephen 2

Errors Galor

Every app I click through to has an issue.

"The server is temporarily unable to service your request due to maintenance downtime or capacity problems. Please try again later."

Then some load but have broken images and random text segments.

Looks like a shambles.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

and even the image within thereg article ( http://www.datameer.com/aam/application/screenshot?id=43%20vspace= ) is now throwing up a 404

3. spuccinelli

Hey guys, thanks, everything should be up and running again.

4. Michael Wojcik Silver badge

And the award for sweeping generalizations goes to...

In other words, the best person to analyze a company's data is the person who understands the company's business, and not necessarily the person who understands "data science."

You don't think this might depend just a tiny bit on the data and applications in question? And in particular on the type of analysis desired?

It's not surprising there's a generic app to do generic sentiment analysis. I haven't looked at it, but it's probably the sort of simplistic naive-Bayesian bag-of-words thing that students regularly throw together for class projects. It's just barely possible that some people would want something a tad more sophisticated.

Take a glance at Vincent Granville's list of "worst predictive modeling techniques". When you understand why he's arguing against those - and under what conditions he might be wrong - then you might know enough about "data science" to be able to formulate a coherent argument about when you need a domain expert, and when you need a data scientist, and when you need both.

(Whatever that is.)

Hi, I'm Matt Assay, and I'm going to make bold claims about things even I admit I don't understand.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like