back to article How to get your bust in good shape

A 3D printer is a great toy, but only if you have something to print. If you want to address the big issue of “yes, but what can you do”, then just downloading models isn’t any more personal than buying the finished thing online. 3D scanning The bust is back in vogue You need to make your own. To this end I looked at 3D …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Pete 2 Silver badge

Exactly what the office party needs

Just when photocopying your arse becomes old hat, a new technology comes along to inject a bit more "fun" into the proceedings.

Now, how to persuade your colleagues that the output from the printer really is NOT full size?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Exactly what the office party needs

It could be life size, if you make the 'bum' model from many '3d jigsaw' printed components. But if you want a 1:1 replica of a bum, you might find it is quicker and cheaper to just make a cast of the original. Doing so is seemingly something every 1st-year Fine Art student does.

1. Robert Helpmann??
        Childcatcher

Re: Exactly what the office party needs

Many of them forget to apply the release (typically Vaseline or similar petroleum-based product) before-hand. The casting medium will then bond most effectively to every hair of the part being cast. Hilarity ensues.

2. Mystic Megabyte
    Paris Hilton

Heat

So if I read this correctly, keep your bust away from halogen lamps :)

3. DrXym

I have to ask

I wonder how many people have tried to scan their knob with 123D scan.

1. S4qFBxkFFg
      Trollface

Re: I have to ask

It might not be 123D scan, but I heard that that has happened, and has been surreptitiously uploaded after adding a "shell" (in the shape of something innocuous) to the model, where the shell is too thin for any printer to actually produce.

i.e. download what you think is a statuette (for example), get penis.

1. frank ly

Re: I have to ask

I'm sure there's a joke about a Trojan in there.

4. Crisp

Wouldn't it be easier

To grab a bit of plastic and just chip away the bits that you don't want?

5. nichobe

I must admit

I had a different vision of what this article was about with that title.

6. AndrewInIreland

Thankfully...

some of us have access to High Definition Scanners so it's Pointclouds away!

7. Dave 126 Silver badge

Another solution:

Sometimes in shopping centres you will see people selling little glass-like cubes containing tiny bubbles forming an image. Those that offer to place your own image in the cubes have a laser scanner that resembles a passport photo booth. The cubes start at around £10, and you should be to persuade them to let you have a copy of the .XYZ file if you have a memory stick.

It doesn't do the back of the head- or under the chin!- but 'hair' would need massaging before 3D printing anyway.

In El Reg's last 3d printing article, they made a small 2D vulture... since there is a stuffed vulture in the office, why haven't you scanned that with the Kinnet?

8. Dave Bell

I see Microsoft hasn't changed

So there's nothing new about OpenGL drivers: don't expect Microsoft to keep them up to date.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Oh, *that* kind of bust.

<suddenly looses interest>

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Oh, *that* kind of bust.

You and me, both. I was wondering if my girlfriend would be asking me to buy a 3d printer and start download files until she finds a set of falsies that she'd like to wear. Why am I thinking printed armour (even if it's only plasticine) when I should be thinking about 'breasts of the month club' where they send you a file once a month that you can print and add to your 'closest I'm ever going to get' collection.

I've got to get back to work...

2. HipposRule
      Happy

Re: Oh, *that* kind of bust.

I thought it was something else you 'loosed' over busts.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

So how long...

before we can get a Hatfields and Mccoys chess set??

11. Simon Rockman

This is what I did with the 3D models I made:

http://www.chocablog.com/features/3d-printing-chocolate-people/

This topic is closed for new posts.