back to article Oh dear: Apple kicks out South Korea boss

Apple kicked out its head honcho for South Korea just days before the grand unveiling of the much-anticipated iPad Mini and despite the upcoming launch of the iPhone 5 in the country, according to local reports. General manager Dominique Oh was abruptly relieved of his duties last week, spokesman Steve Park told The Korea …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

try another walled garden

Maybe Apple should stop bothering with the Republic of Korea and hook up with that other walled garden North of the border. They could swap stories on how best to get your way by thremonuclear threats.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Was he

The one that liked to leak......

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
        Devil

Re: Was he

> thremonuclear

Nork just has some simple nuclear, no thermo-nuclear, popper based on Pu. Which may or may not work as the test was a bit of a fizzle.

2. rhydian
    Black Helicopters

Is it surprising?

Samsung = HUGE south Korean company, everything from cars to fridges

Apple = US company suing Korean company

South Korean consumer not happy about the latter...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Is it surprising?

Many South Koreans actually agree that Samsung copies a lot and it gives Korean culture a bad reputation.

1. Magnus_Pym

"Many South Koreans actually agree that Samsung copies a lot and it gives Korean culture a bad reputation."

But they all work for Samsung, work for a company that supplies Samsumg or have a family member that works for Samsung.

1. rhydian

"But they all work for Samsung, work for a company that supplies Samsumg or have a family member that works for Samsung."

And that's the thing. Most non-UK countries will doggedly support their domestic firms, especially when they produce competitive products.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"Many South Koreans actually agree that Samsung copies a lot and it gives Korean culture a bad reputation"

Possibly true, but wrong. All the big, important discoveries required for a modern smartphone or computer were made by companies other than Apple (or Samsung), and the very basis of modern society is copying (and improving) on other people's ideas.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Trollface

Slow news day?

Fail to do your job properly after being paid handsomely for it and generally (in business at least) you'll find yourself looking for a new job.

4. dssf

A wee bit more...

http://forums.theregister.co.uk/forum/1/2012/10/23/dssf_Axiotron_Modbook_is_Back_Is_Apple_facing_Hallyu_backlash/

All the free or payola advertin Apple gets in Korea should have saved Oh's job, i think, tho i lament seeing iPads plastered all over Korean TV and the near dearth of Galaxy Tabs...

5. P. Lee
    Paris Hilton

Shock news!

People are nationalistic.

6. James 100

National pride?

"Buy Korean" might explain Samsung's strength in the mobile phone market against the iPhone - but if that's the case, why is the iPad doing so well?

I was very tempted by a Galaxy S3 myself - getting too frustrated with all the time iThings waste on pointless animations, as well as slow web page rendering - until hearing all the problems with screens cracking and costing a fortune to replace. The official Twitter feed at the time was too occupied prattling on about some sporting event in London they were obsessed with to answer questions about their products, whether from actual dissatisfied customers or concerned prospective ones.

Thinking about it, though, I'm much more certain my next tablet will be an iPad than I am that my next handset will be an iPhone - though I'm not quite sure why. I don't think there are any iOS-only apps I'm particularly attached to on either platform.

7. mhenriday
    Meh

Could it be that the Samsung product

is a superior device ? Or is impossible to conceive that anyone anywhere could produce better devices than those that miraculously arise, full-blown from the head of Jove, in Cupertino (via Foxconn) ? Just asking....

Henri

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like