back to article Judge says PSN hack can't spark class action

The notorious Sony PlayStation Network hack, which saw millions of accounts compromised in May 2011, doesn’t give grounds for a class action, according to a US judge. The ruling, available from Courthouse News, dismisses most of the grounds for the lawsuit against Sony, which was first filed in June last year. The judge, …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Aaron Em
    Pint

Cue crying

Where's my popcorn? Where's my beer? It may not be Friday, but it'll do!

1. Anonymous Coward
      FAIL

Re: Cue crying

The popcorn is chewy,

the beer is stale,

the stuff does the rounds,

everytime there's a (see icon)

1. Aaron Em

Re: Cue crying

The whining is sawtooth'd; the scansion is poor

But that never staves off Still doggerel more.

2. LarsG
      Meh

Finally

A judge with common sense. Unfortunately for the majority of those money grabbing class action heros it will be a day of sadness.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Finally

And an empty bank account, as many of those idiots that boarded the bandwagon will have spend considerable money in doing so.

2. asdf

yawn

The goodwill hit Sony took by making an ass out of itself going after Geohot and then getting wtfpwned by Anonymous is probably greater than the punitive judgement of an even a class action would have been (especially after appeal). Still with 5+ years in the red and now 1/5 the size it was in its heyday any good news is appreciated I am sure these day.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Weren't they storing passwords in cleartext? Seems to me you could make a pretty good argument that that's not 'reasonable' IT security...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

No they weren't

They were storing password hashes.

Sounds like you have believed the twisted online version of events broadcast by Xbox.com

What's even funnier about this storm in a teacup, is nobody ever actually lost anything, unlike the very real and recurring Xbox Live account emptying that's been occurring for the past 2 years, but Microsoft are sweeping under the carpet....

http://kotaku.com/5873604/is-microsofts-xbox-live-hacking-problem-worse-than-microsoft-realises

I guess thats the price Sony pay for being responsible and owning upto the problem, getting raped by the press. In furture, it's clear the media message is to cover it up like Microsoft do.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Except

They weren't storing passwords in plain text, they weren't storing passwords at all, only salty hashes...

Sounds like your source of information is Xbox forums...

1. Anonymous Coward
        Meh

Re: Except

I don't remember where I heard it, which is why I asked the question. I doubt I got it from xbox forums, as I don't own any consoles and thus do not visit console forums, xbox or otherwise.

1. sisk

Re: Except

I've never even seen an XBox forum and I recall seeing that version of the story. I'm pretty sure El Reg initially reported it that way but later corrected themselves.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Just wait until the gov't gets wind of this; they'll be pulling this bullshit left, right and center.

"So we accidentally left unencrypted child information on a train, you can't sue us for it!"

5. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

No cause to complain...

As i understand from my limited time on their network, it was free.

Anything free has a "cost" in it somewhere, in this case it was hiring decent IT security auditors who would have spotted that passwords were stored in plaintext and rung alarm bells.

But no....Not our Sony.

Dear Sony, here's some salt, either rub it in your wounds or use it on your passwords..Dont care which...

The PS3 hacking scene is alive and well btw...eurasia.nu

1. Anonymous Coward
      FAIL

Re: No cause to complain...

http://onehitpixel.com/2011/05/03/password-not-stored-in-plain-text-sony/11876

" While the passwords that were stored were not “encrypted,” they were transformed using a cryptographic hash function. There is a difference between these two types of security measures which is why we said the passwords had not been encrypted. But I want to be very clear that the passwords were not stored in our database in cleartext form.”"

Sounds like YOU are the one that needs to understand security and the difference between encryption and hashing... Yes they weren't encrypted, but that by extension didn't mean they were cleartext.

Still, why let the truth get in the way of a good story and a fantastic internet myth.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: No cause to complain...

Should i ever get back into IT and need a refresher in security, YOU Mr. Shitpeas, will be the very last person i contact to get ANY advice.....

6. Mr Common Sense
    FAIL

So lets recap

Sony attempted to damage peoples fat Playstation 3s with a harmful update.

Sues people trying to undo damage via third party firmware.

Sloppy security compromises lots of players information.

Sony somehow wriggles out of being held responsible by some corpwhore judges.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like