back to article Music streaming service Rara slips off cloak, jumps into ring with Spotify

Stealth streaming service Rara is slightly less stealthy today. The Omnifone-backed brand launched 10 months ago and operates in 20 countries. Today it’s adding iPhone, iPad and Windows 8 MetroNotro apps, and beginning to market itself in the UK and Europe, as well as expanding into Latin America. Mexico and Brazil will get Rara …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. 27escape
    Stop

Why are mobile connections more expensive

I know its the norm, but I generally stream at a lower bitrate than from a PC or wired connection. Surely it is in the interest of the companies to promote this as their costs are lower?

If I don't have unlimited data on mobile I am less likely to constantly leave such a service on all the time, but I may leave my PC version playing 8 hours+ through the day

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

There's a song that comes to mind

Another one bites the dust....

2. Jerome 2
    Facepalm

Website

Just went to look at their website, well the homepage anyway, which is a far as you can get without signing up. It looked god awful. Call me shallow but I left again fairly quickly.

3. dotdavid
    WTF?

Why is this better than Spotify, considering it costs the same (not counting the 3 month cheaper bit, which I never do) and probably has no more available music than the latter.

If they offered the mobile version for less than Spotify's tenner I might be interested, else why shouldn't I just stick to Spotify's mobile app which at least I know (finally) works pretty well.

1. Turtle

Equity.

"Why is this better than Spotify, considering it costs the same (not counting the 3 month cheaper bit, which I never do) and probably has no more available music than the latter."

You know, my initial thought was that, if Rara can pay musicians more than the "laughable pittance" they get from Spotify, then Rara might be able to sign up quite a large number of musicians, migrating them away from Spotify, thereby increasing Rara's available catalog while at the same time decreasing Spotify's.

But then I recalled that the majors are equity holders in Spotify, so there is no way that Rara could match the deal that the majors get from Spotify, without giving them equity too.

But I wonder, should the majors not give Rara their catalogs at the same rates they give Spotify, if Rara could sue Spotify and the majors for anti-competitive practices, restraint of trade, and so on along these longs.

This topic is closed for new posts.