back to article Tintri, it's the marmite of Virtual Desktops

It seems that an ever-increasing number of companies are using Virtual Desktop Infrastructure (VDI). Gartner predicts that by 2012, penetration on the enterprise PC sector will be 60 per cent. The vendors which provide accompanying software and gear are likewise fighting for your investment, as evidenced by the flurry of …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

one interesting aspect of benchmarks

"... which means you have to have plenty of extra disk backing the storage,..."

Yes. This is why, I believe, that all of the performance benchmark tests are performed, by vendors, with exponentially large arrays of SSD/disk backing them.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

60%?

Is this the usual Gartner massaging?

60% of enterprise will use it.

Translation. 60% may have to odd pc or two doing it, but the figure for complete usage in a biz is much lower, but our sponsors don't want you to know that.

3. Tom Maddox Silver badge
    WTF?

Cheeky

Max Gill says: "With persistent desktops you are now using an unproven storage provider to store what is now critical data."

Of course, with his solution, you're now putting an unproven storage provider *in the way of* critical data, which is not much better.

Another piece of the environment is non-VDI workloads. With the Tintri or other storage solutions, you can put virtual server workloads on them as well; can the same be done with Atlantic's solution? The "unnamed IT Manager" says that Tintri is a point solution, which is true insofar as it can only be used for VMware, but at least you can put both desktop and server VMs on it.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Marmite of Virtual desktops

Not the best metaphor!

Now that Marmite is no longer under the control of the Gilmour family, who presumably were proud of their product, but produced by the accountant-riddled firm Unilever, has anyone else noticed that the Wikipedia definition: "paste" no longer applies.

In my experience, modern Marmite actually flows. Presumably one step in the _secret_ process for its production involved some means of turning the suspension of autolysed yeast into the paste - one would guess, by the evaporation of water under low pressure.

It seems to me that now less water is evaporated from the material, a double boost for the manufacturers, since they are now able to sell water instead of a proportion of the paste that was sold previously and at the same time use a smaller amount of energy in the evaporation unit process. Unfortunately I am unable to compare the water content of current product with that of former product, since I cannot find a sample of the former product to use, so this is only a guess, but the effect -lower viscosity - seems to be demonstrable.

As a certain publication that I regularly read would say: "Trebles all round!"

So is the virtualisation now going to be thinner?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like